20Hz GPS BT receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20Hz GPS BT receiver

Ive been itching to use RaceChrono for a while based on it's features, but didn't like the fact that it would use your phone's GPS (one sample a second so accuracy is questionable). I have been using a QStarz laptimer for a number of years, works well most of the time but accuracy is only 10Hz (0.1s) and sometimes the GPS would drift .... track log would show i'm driving through the spectator area between turn three and four, or each lap would be shifted by a couple of meters, so GPS accuracy was another issue with the QStarz.

My ideal setup with RaceChrono was to use an external GPS antenna which is better than the one in the smartphone, and a GPS receiver itself with better accuracy and sensitivity. The next best thing would be 20Hz receivers such as the the VBOX Sport 20Hz GPS, looked at the price and said nope!

So I ended up building one instead.

I used it at two separate track events, first time the USB cigarette power adapter kept on popping out of the socket so cutting power to the GPS receiver. Addressed that issue for the next time, not a single problem, even when the weather got really bad and started to rain heavily. Posted a few pics of the device on Instagram and Kevin here saw it and liked it.

I lent out the device to him for this past OTA event, more to give it a good shakedown to see if it works reliably, and it did. Heard that there were others interested in this GPS receiver.

I plan on building two more for sure, but won't start building these until this fall ... just when track days are starting to wind down for 2018 .

If you are interested in one, reply back here along with your 'interest level'. I don't have an idea on cost yet but it'll be much less than that VBOX. Note that this device I built does no logging to an SD card for example, it's just a receiver and the app on your phone would be the one doing the logging.

Re: 20Hz GPS BT receiver

Folks, I am the one who borrowed Mike's 20Hz GPS receiver to test at SMP event #5 and #6 and I can vouch about how well this unit works with RaceChrono (my app of choice). I don't see why it wouldn't work with other apps like Harry's but I never tried it.

The benefits are:
    - Remote mount antenna (huge plus for me since the S2000 doesn't have much places to mount a blocky unit like the QStarz 10Hz receiver I had used until now) which means I can put it in an optimal position with Line Of Sight to the sky and on a relatively flat surface. I was getting MASSIVE drift before on RaceChrono with the QStarz. With Mike's new unit, ZERO drift and the RaceChrono map of my drive is accurate.

- Modular assembly is very welcome as I can mount the antenna and the receiver in two different areas and power the unit either by the car outlet or a small battery pack with a USB outlet. I left the unit running accidentally over the entirety of Sunday and Monday and it only ate roughly 2,400 mAH which is AMAZING battery life.

I love this unit and it solves a bunch of issues I have with other units. It works well for me.
    Kevin Wong
    GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
    2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Mike.. i would be interested... also i need to order some of those amazing pics you take to keep a record of this year in OTA!
      BadGer Racing:OTA #97 VW Passat & Supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS
      #97 BRC Mobile1 Echo ice racing

Comment

Interested.

Currently using a Qstarz 818XT with RaceChrono and am considering swapping it for a Garmin GLO. Have found 5Hz on the 818XT to minimize drift...but then it's only 5Hz.
        TLMC Autoslalom Co-Director

Comment

I have been using Racepak Vantage, you can get it locally from Ian Rae

It also has a 20hz receiver

See info below

https://cl1.racepak.com/trackday/

Comment

Originally posted by Snizzoop View Post
            Interested.

Currently using a Qstarz 818XT with RaceChrono and am considering swapping it for a Garmin GLO. Have found 5Hz on the 818XT to minimize drift...but then it's only 5Hz.
            I've heard about the 5Hz trick as well but with a lower sampling rate and autocross, it can still lead to inherently choppy data given us cone-dodgers change location in a short span so quickly. I haven't used this unit in autoX but I suspect it would be up to the task.
            Kevin Wong
            2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Galloway View Post
              I have been using Racepak Vantage, you can get it locally from Ian Rae

It also has a 20hz receiver

See info below

https://cl1.racepak.com/trackday/
              At $595 (CAD or USD?) that's very expensive compared to what Mike is putting together. Yes, more 'professional looking' but Mike's unit does the same thing plus the app of your choice.
              Kevin Wong
              2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

Mike, I am interested. Never thought I would but the old feeling that I just did a good lap is proving unreliable. There is something to Andretti's famous quote that "if everything is under control you are going too slow".
                Martin
                Acura Integra #283 GT4

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Viggen View Post
                  Mike, I am interested. Never thought I would but the old feeling that I just did a good lap is proving unreliable. There is something to Andretti's famous quote that "if everything is under control you are going too slow".
                  Martin
                  Acura Integra #283 GT4
                  My laptimes from Mike's unit were within 0.0x of the OTA's recorded time. For the morning sessions and for the competition sessions. Even in the rain.
                  Kevin Wong
                  2020 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

I'm more concerned about the analysis side of the software than the data acquisition. Doing analysis on your phone just doesn't work for me.

Anyone know a way to dump the data in a form AIM can accept?
                    '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

I am interested.

Comment

Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post
                        I'm more concerned about the analysis side of the software than the data acquisition. Doing analysis on your phone just doesn't work for me.
                        It's super convenient to review data on a phone between runs at an autoslalom event.

Comment

Originally posted by Snizzoop View Post
                          It's super convenient to review data on a phone between runs at an autoslalom event.
                          Even better when your headunit is an Android box.
                          '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post
                            Even better when your headunit is an Android box.
                            You have a head unit in your race car?

Comment

Working...
                            X