Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Live timing - what's working, what isn't - feedback wanted!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Good news LJus!

    Will, I went back to the events to make sure I didn't overlook the fact we list pax times. (unless I am missing something again)

    We have always been focused on actual time on our results, and while we list scoring based on pax times, this scoring is only done by class levels.. e.g. listing people in GT4 and their scoring ony with their peers OR list the top 10 competitors based on scoring.

    I ,being from the slower group of cars, would be interested in knowing how I fit in the all the classes and competitors based solely on pax times if that makes sense?

    While this should NOT be a priority on your time this year, it would be a good reason to set up the database in such a way that in future we could actually allow competitors to query their own information from the events.

    I also recall that our previous timer came up with a report that showed the variance to targets and Pax to demonstrate that this PIP system used by the OTA is a fair system, curious how much work he needed to do and if a future database would help formulate those numbers.

    Regardless, your efforts have substantially moved the needle on getting good live information.
    BadGer Racing:OTA#97 VW Passat, NB Miata, Infinity G35 6mt Coupe, Volvo C70 HP
    BRC Ice Racing #97

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CarVolvo View Post
      Good news LJus!

      Will, I went back to the events to make sure I didn't overlook the fact we list pax times. (unless I am missing something again)

      We have always been focused on actual time on our results, and while we list scoring based on pax times, this scoring is only done by class levels.. e.g. listing people in GT4 and their scoring ony with their peers OR list the top 10 competitors based on scoring.

      I ,being from the slower group of cars, would be interested in knowing how I fit in the all the classes and competitors based solely on pax times if that makes sense?

      While this should NOT be a priority on your time this year, it would be a good reason to set up the database in such a way that in future we could actually allow competitors to query their own information from the events.

      I also recall that our previous timer came up with a report that showed the variance to targets and Pax to demonstrate that this PIP system used by the OTA is a fair system, curious how much work he needed to do and if a future database would help formulate those numbers.

      Regardless, your efforts have substantially moved the needle on getting good live information.
      So what you're asking for is full events PAX time list?
      Kevin Wong
      GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
      2019 OTA Chief Timer

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by CarVolvo View Post
        Good news LJus!

        Will, I went back to the events to make sure I didn't overlook the fact we list pax times. (unless I am missing something again)

        We have always been focused on actual time on our results, and while we list scoring based on pax times, this scoring is only done by class levels.. e.g. listing people in GT4 and their scoring ony with their peers OR list the top 10 competitors based on scoring.

        I ,being from the slower group of cars, would be interested in knowing how I fit in the all the classes and competitors based solely on pax times if that makes sense?

        While this should NOT be a priority on your time this year, it would be a good reason to set up the database in such a way that in future we could actually allow competitors to query their own information from the events.

        I also recall that our previous timer came up with a report that showed the variance to targets and Pax to demonstrate that this PIP system used by the OTA is a fair system, curious how much work he needed to do and if a future database would help formulate those numbers.

        Regardless, your efforts have substantially moved the needle on getting good live information.
        Livetiming doesn't show anything overall at all, purely by class. Adding a new page that shows overall and allowing sorting by either raw or pax time would be very low effort. I didn't add it because the published results covered it (top 10 at least) and I was already super late delivering it (was supposed to be done for event 1). If that's valuable it can easily be added for next year.

        There will never be an option for direct access to the database (purely for security reasons), but if there's a desire a read only analytical dashboard (like Qlik, Tableau, etc) could be added on top of it. They're not free, so OTA would have to see if there's value and find the money for it.

        Comment


        • #19
          Little update (done a while ago): the links on the pages are now red, and underline when you hover over them. There's likely still a bigger UI improvement coming before next season, but in the worst case the links are now more obvious.

          Comment


          • #20
            Small update out, lap times anywhere on live timing now display as mm:ss.fff (minutes, seconds, milliseconds) instead of just ss.fff (seconds, milliseconds). The desktop app used by the timers is also updated, as well as the results export PDF's. Not sure if there's any plan to re-export the past results, but any past times on livetiming are displaying in the new format. Nothing was re-calculated, just a different formatting, so nothing will have changed in scoring. Pax "times" have been left alone as well for now.

            tl;dr; - live timing now formats laptimes as 1:20.107 instead of 80.107, and all exports for 2020 will be formatted the same.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by CarVolvo View Post
              Taking it to the next level would be putting an query feature, e.g. "ability to arrange track speed by pax time instead of real time etc." but that is only an extreme wish!
              Not live yet, but almost ready (just finishing up sorting) and a bit more testing. The new page lists each competitor for the event, with their PI/PAX factor, car info, class, and best practice time raw, best practice time pax, best competition time raw, best competition time pax, and score. Should be done and launched in the next couple days, and since it's using existing data you'll be able to go back to any previous event and see it.

              Most of the columns will be sortable, definitely class, times and score, not sure how much value there is to sort by competitor name or car.

              Comment


              • #22
                New page is done and live!

                http://livetiming.time-attack.ca/eve...etitorbestlaps

                It's available on any event, the link is just under the date on the right hand side: "View Overall Best Laps". All columns are sortable, except the competitor name and car. If you hold shift while clicking on the column headers you can sort by multiple columns. When the page loads, it is sorted by competitor last name ascending. This is the default because it'll be consistent throughout the day as the data changes, or even before any laps have been run.

                *Note*: The score might not be taken from a competition lap (ie 2019 Event #1 where practice laps were allowed to be scored), so sorting by best competition pax time might not show scores in expected order.

                *edit*: default sorting updated, it now defaults to best pax ascending, then by best practice ascending, then by competitor last name ascending.
                Last edited by wparsons; 02-18-2020, 12:12 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Any dev work planned to integrate pax comparisons against track records for each class?
                  2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
                    Any dev work planned to integrate pax comparisons against track records for each class?
                    Not yet, there wasn't any import of previous season data into the new system so there's only 2019 data so far. Once there's more data it could definitely be done though.

                    I haven't worked with the old system at all, but if there's a big wish for getting historical data imported into the new system it's something that could be considered. Not sure if the old system keeps year over year data or was wiped clean at the start of every season though.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by wparsons View Post

                      Not yet, there wasn't any import of previous season data into the new system so there's only 2019 data so far. Once there's more data it could definitely be done though.

                      I haven't worked with the old system at all, but if there's a big wish for getting historical data imported into the new system it's something that could be considered. Not sure if the old system keeps year over year data or was wiped clean at the start of every season though.
                      The old system does keep data from previous years but pulling back beyond say 2017 might prove tricky. I may have to ask around from previous timers into how we can pull data out that can be used for the new system.
                      Kevin Wong
                      GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
                      2019 OTA Chief Timer

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by wparsons View Post
                        New page is done and live!

                        If you hold shift while clicking on the column headers you can sort by multiple columns.
                        Can you sort via multiple columns via mobile? Maybe have sorted by best PAX and class by default?
                        '11 Red STI #373


                        Keep right except to pass.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post

                          Can you sort via multiple columns via mobile? Maybe have sorted by best PAX and class by default?
                          Not sure how to do multi sort on mobile, I'll look into it.

                          Sorting by best pax and class just duplicates the results page though, and defeats the purpose of this page (to see how you're doing against all classes).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Thanks Will,
                            I found it as a more compact page to view results as opposed to the results page. Useful on mobile (I suspect everyone will be on mobile at the track).
                            '11 Red STI #373


                            Keep right except to pass.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X