Will a gurney bubble pass tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a gurney bubble pass tech?

As I understand the rules the broomstick test only applies to open cockpit cars and convertibles running with soft tops. Tin tops or convertibles with hard tops mounted do not. So what happens if someone shows up with a car that has been modified to fit their height by installing a Gurney Bubble? A really bad idea but would it pass tech? Not against the letter of the rules (as I understand them) but do tech inspectors have the discretion to reject it?

asking for a friend.

thanks in advance,
    Thomas

24 days, 139 views and no replies?

Comment

Originally posted by exST165 View Post
      As I understand the rules the broomstick test only applies to open cockpit cars and convertibles running with soft tops. Tin tops or convertibles with hard tops mounted do not. So what happens if someone shows up with a car that has been modified to fit their height by installing a Gurney Bubble? A really bad idea but would it pass tech? Not against the letter of the rules (as I understand them) but do tech inspectors have the discretion to reject it?

asking for a friend.

thanks in advance,
      Thomas
      This is well out of my knowledge expertise. Keep in mind hardtop convertibles still need a roll bar as the top is considered minimally useful in a rollover.

Can you post some photos of what you intend to do?

Kevin
      Kevin Wong
      GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
      2019 OTA Chief Timer

Comment

I don’t have any photos as “my friend” hasn’t done anything yet, here is a link to a company selling replica gurney bubbles:

http://race-car-replicas.com/parts/gurney-bubble

So if the rollbar is as high as the roof line behind the bubble but the driver’s head was in the bubble it would fail a broomstick test, but broomstick tests are only for convertibles (with soft tops) and other open cars like formula cars or sports racers. Or so goes my reading of the rule book.

Does that help?

Comment

Not an official answer, but I would imagine that if your head is above the top of the rollbar (even in a hard top) it wouldn't be considered safe.

Comment

Racing harness and head above the roll cage is a great recipe to end up with a compressed spine.
            _____
            BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

I'm not sure why the CCC are not commenting on this.

As far as I know, OTA still runs according to the CASC-OR General Competition Rules unless otherwise specified in the Time Attack rules. In the GCR Roll Cage section (appendix M), the 2-inch drop from the 'broomstick line' is specified for closed as well as open cars, and there are no exceptions given except for vintage cars (those built in the era before rollover protection). In a race car with a solid-mounted seat and harness, having the driver's head above the cage is a really bad idea, as noted above.
              Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Thanks, I missed that the “broomstick line” applied to closed cars too.

Comment

Lowering the floor pan and seat mounts is common for XLT folk.
                  CASC-OR Time Attack Director

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X