2015+ Subaru WRX? Should I run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015+ Subaru WRX? Should I run?

I am looking for real world advice on the modern era Subaru WRX.

I've always been a "Honda guy" but we just recently picked up a 2016 manual shift Subaru Outback for my wife. I really like it- with 2 teenage boys, its got tones of room, easy to drive, can't wait for winter- lacks neck snapping performance, but its a family car.

But for me, I don't need lots of room and the WRX may be a good choice. However, if the internet is to be believed, the WRX 2.0L turbo is a hot mess on the reliability scale and everyone should just run for the hills. I'm looking for this to be a daily driver, commuting maybe 6 km each way to work, fun family hauler- I do keep my cars forever and maintain them with unbridled insanity. My current 2000 Honda Civic SiR is nearly 20 years old- I'm the first and only owner.

Am I in for a world of pain with a WRX?

thanks for anyone's advice.

darcy
    "Go play with your iPad. Leave the men to shift the gears."- e30og
    88 GTX, 00 SiR, 06 AP2

Three rounds of lawsuits, severe motor and transmission problems, no thanks.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-wrx-brand-s-least-reliable-model-transmission-problems
    sigpic
    No one is interested in all the things you didn't do !

Comment

The current WRX uses an entirely different engine than the current STI and isn't prone to some of the traditional EJ failures (cracked ringlands, etc). It's hard to filter through failures on WRX/STIs because they tend to be abused a lot by some owners, and also end up in the hands of younger people that don't necessarily maintain them properly.

That said, don't expect Honda/Toyota levels of reliability from them, they'll definitely need more work over time.

Comment

This is helpful. replacing an engine, clutch, head gasket isn't an issue for me.
        keep it coming, especially if you own one of these cars.

darcy
        "Go play with your iPad. Leave the men to shift the gears."- e30og
        88 GTX, 00 SiR, 06 AP2

Comment

Just curious to know what everyones fascination with the Subaru boxer engine is all about. Are there any true advantages to it besides lower cog maybe ? The two heads to me seems like twice the number of things that can go wrong with not a lot of power advantages ( as far as I know ). I once had an opportunity to change spark plugs on a forester and it wasn't as easy as it should've been.
          Elvis
          Ice Racing, RallyX and Autox

Comment

Working...
          X