ZF transmission rebuilding in Toronto area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZF transmission rebuilding in Toronto area

I'm looking for a reputable transmission shop to rebuild a ZF S5D 320Z out of an e36 M3. Looking to replace synchros, seals, bearings (if required). Any suggestions in the Toronto/ southern Ontario area? It will be used in a track car for lapping days. I've already tried the "buy a used transmission" option and didn't work out so well. The 2nd gear synchro is shot.

Thanks,

Anthony

Re: ZF transmission rebuilding in Toronto area

Originally posted by anth72 View Post
    I'm looking for a reputable transmission shop to rebuild a ZF S5D 320Z out of an e36 M3. Looking to replace synchros, seals, bearings (if required). Any suggestions in the Toronto/ southern Ontario area? It will be used in a track car for lapping days. I've already tried the "buy a used transmission" option and didn't work out so well. The 2nd gear synchro is shot.

Thanks,

Anthony
    Good luck. I only know of a couple places that can do it, both in the US (Diffsonline for sure). Not many people open these up as you need a bunch of special tools apparently ... also since they're like $300 to buy used, not much need. Oh, and buy a used one

Edit: You do know they came in a lot of cars, so super easy to find. e36 328, e46 328, 330, some 5 series, etc.
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Thanks for the help Arek! Unfortunately I don't want to go the used route since I've done that once and it didn't work out. I'd rather spend more money rebuilding than spending hundreds of dollars in labour removing and installing a used tranny that isn't guaranteed to work. The joys of manual race cars haha

Comment

Originally posted by anth72 View Post
        Thanks for the help Arek! Unfortunately I don't want to go the used route since I've done that once and it didn't work out. I'd rather spend more money rebuilding than spending hundreds of dollars in labour removing and installing a used tranny that isn't guaranteed to work. The joys of manual race cars haha
        The experience you've had is not typical ... the 5 speed ZF is typically bulletproof, and will outlast the car. We've been running ours for years without any issues (we run them in 3 cars), with plenty of power through them.

However, here is what you're looking for if you want guaranteed: http://diffsonline.com/zf-5-speed-ra...6-328-330.html

It will be cheaper to buy a complete running e36 328is ... then you can test the tranny, and have all the spares you need
        Arek Wojciechowski
        8legs Racing, SPC #77
        http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Working...
        X