Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Camaros legal?

I downloaded the rules, and it says, "2.2.1 RUBBER TO ICE
    CLASS 1: All rear wheel drive up to 4801 mm or 189"overall length as measured at the racetrack."

My question - Is this class still at a 3.0 L limit? It doesn't say it is like all the others that are listed, so my next question is - Can I use an 87 Z28? It comes in at 188" stock, but the rule says 'measured at the track', where by then it might be a bit shorter....

If it is legal, then cool, and I have a 87 Beemer 325i that I need to get rid of. Its still in street form, runs good, has fully dependant suspension.....either for sale or trade for Z28.

thanks
    r
    Russ Bond

Re: Are Camaros legal?

i believe when this rule was made/changed the dimension was made to fit a Camaro.

No 3.0L limit any longer.
    Chris
    Old School Motorsports

Comment

just dont forget to cover the T-Tops haha
      Josh Taylor
      Ice Racing
      Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Nugold, The official oil of Engine Failure

Two Hard Boiled All Up In His Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Rustye View Post
        I downloaded the rules, and it says, "2.2.1 RUBBER TO ICE
        CLASS 1: All rear wheel drive up to 4801 mm or 189"overall length as measured at the racetrack."

My question - Is this class still at a 3.0 L limit? It doesn't say it is like all the others that are listed, so my next question is - Can I use an 87 Z28? It comes in at 188" stock, but the rule says 'measured at the track', where by then it might be a bit shorter....

If it is legal, then cool, and I have a 87 Beemer 325i that I need to get rid of. Its still in street form, runs good, has fully dependant suspension.....either for sale or trade for Z28.

thanks
        r
        The car will be legal IF it is no longer than 189" from front bumper to rear bumper (rule was created to fit a Volvo sedan which was the longest car at the time) and provided the engine size is no bigger than a 3.0 litre.
        Ice Race Guru a.k.a. Sharon
        FormerIce Race Director

Comment

hey.. i didnt think there was a 3.0 limit in rwd classes.. tom prentice has a 5.0 mustang...
          Josh Taylor
          Ice Racing
          Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Comment

S.S.NITEMARE, you say provided it is under 189, which it is, but you also say 3.0L max, but that is not what the rule says that I took from the 2009 downloaded rule book. It has no engine size limit.....

So, which is it?
            r
            Russ Bond

Comment

Russ if you have a 3 series beemer I'd run it before a camaro.

Comment

Max, I ran an RX7 before, it was good, and somebody before ran a 320i that was good also. I think this Beemer would be good, and it was my original intention to run it, but certain curcumstances have changed, and they dictate I have to run a GM, so Camaro it is if I can find out for sure if Z28 is legal, or do I need an RS with the V6.

Russ
                Russ Bond

Comment

It's pretty clear...

2.2 Classes

2.2.1 Rubber to Ice
                  Class 1: All rear wheel drive up to 4801mm or 189" overall length as measured at the racetrack.

No mention of the 3000cc's for RWD cars.

The rule was changed 4-5 years ago, as many feared that RWD was dieing, but to open the class up to the likes of 5.0L Mustangs and Camaro's would allow the class to gain some entries.

Now that i think more...the 189" came from the measurement of a Volvo station wagon.

So...

If ANY RWD car/truck fits under the 189" overall length when it arrives for the first weekend at scruitineering it does not matter what is under the hood. If you need to go and ram the car/truck into a wall from infront and behind to get it under that 189" that's fine. If you need to go modify/remove bumpers, that is fine to (IIRC this was done to the Zephyr that runs in Class 1).
                  Chris
                  Old School Motorsports

Comment

(IIRC this was done to the Zephyr that runs in Class 1).
                    Yup, gained 9" by doing that!!!

Camaro it is if I can find out for sure if Z28 is legal, or do I need an RS with the V6.
                    If you plan on running in rubber to ice i strongly recommend against the Z28, the softer suspension and low torque V6 of the RS might be a better choice.
                    1983 Mazda Rx-7 Ice Racer TLMC
                    Sponsored by:Bartlett's Towing

Comment

oh yeah... and the zephyr was a 3.3L
                      Josh Taylor
                      Ice Racing
                      Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Chevettes4ever View Post
                        hey.. i didnt think there was a 3.0 limit in rwd classes.. tom prentice has a 5.0 mustang...
                        OOOPS...you're right! My bad Sorry...RWD can run bigger than a 3.0 litre engine

sorry for the confusion
                        FormerIce Race Director

Comment

Originally posted by Hosehead View Post

If you plan on running in rubber to ice i strongly recommend against the Z28, the softer suspension and low torque V6 of the RS might be a better choice.
                          i think the car could work... you made a zephyr work.. which no one thought was possible.. i think with the correct amount of ballast and getting the car figured out, i think it will work.. a big problem the zephyr had was the engine was out over past the front tires, which lifts weight off the rear axle.. Unless there is a camaro RS available, I would say just run what is available.. if it does not work, it is nothing to do an engine and spring swap for 2010.
                          Josh Taylor
                          Ice Racing
                          Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Comment

Okay, it seems sorted now, thanks for all the help....hope we'll see you there on the opening weekend.
                            r
                            Russ Bond

Comment

Originally posted by Rustye View Post
                              Okay, it seems sorted now, thanks for all the help....hope we'll see you there on the opening weekend.
                              r
                              Would be nice to see you on pre-tech weekend...Jan 17/18. That way if there are any issues with the car you have a week to get them sorted before the first weekend of racing!!! Always a better plan than a brand new built car not passing tech on the first morning

Pre tech weekend... Saturday 10am-4pm, Sunday Noon - 4pm. Cars may be left at the track from pre tech weekend on til the end of the series.
                              FormerIce Race Director

Comment

Working...
                              X