Brake Fluid loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fluid loss

I'm having an issue with brake fluid loss. There does not appear to be any leaking from blown lines, pistons on the calipers etc. Is it possible that the master cylinder is at fault & where would the fluid end up?
    Car is a '91 Legacy wagon - yes the one that ended up buried in SSC4 last race - no, the brakes were not the issue. The fact that the car is 80% FWD due to the clutches not working properly MAY have been a partial reason in ended up there. Bryan Rashliegh suggested a GMC differential anti slip additive to help with THAT issue.

All suggestions welcome
    woodchips (Larry) Ice Racer 157.
    Sponsors-Thomas Contracting & Precision Tune-Brooklin

Re: Brake Fluid loss

saw your post on TSC also.

i doubt it's the master...

if you are loosing fluid it's got to be going someplace...

you need to check where the brake lines go through rubber gromets from the passanger compartment to outside the car.

Those old Auto's did have problems with the clutch packs...there is some Subaru miracle fluid to help it a little bit..
    Chris
    Old School Motorsports

Comment

Agreed, it's gotta go somewhere - maybe once the car drys out a bit, i'll be able to better see the grommet locations etc.
      thanks

Comment

the rears go through the "floor" on the passangers side, under the back seat.
        Chris
        Old School Motorsports

Comment

A blown seal in the master may be pushing fluid into the booster where a large amount of fluid could collect before it starts to show.

Comment

Originally posted by h-bomb View Post
            A blown seal in the master may be pushing fluid into the booster where a large amount of fluid could collect before it starts to show.
            As there wasn't any fluid showing anywhere, i wondered if something like that might happen - will be checking more closely for obvious leaks before pulling that apart.
            glad there's a parts car handy !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woodchips View Post
              As there wasn't any fluid showing anywhere, i wondered if something like that might happen - will be checking more closely for obvious leaks before pulling that apart.
              glad there's a parts car handy !!!!
              Is there a gasket or seal where the m/c mounts on the booster? If it's a metal to metal mount there would be signs of leakage, but maybe not if there's a gasket.
              The Man's Prayer:
              "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Powell View Post
                Is there a gasket or seal where the m/c mounts on the booster? If it's a metal to metal mount there would be signs of leakage, but maybe not if there's a gasket.
                apppears at 1st blush to be a thin gasket there, but at 6:00 am on a monday, i'm not sure. Will be double looking / checking tonight. No obvious signs of fluid anywhere. If it were a line, i would expect to see a stream of the lovely stuff inside or outside, (as happened with the Mazda last year) but no 'streams' to be seen. Plus, the pedal s l o w l y goes down, when depressed, not like there is a big immediate loss, and s l o w l y loses pressure, which is why i wondered about the master cyclinder

Comment

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99075

This has nothing to do with your brake issue, but might help out with your drivability issue if you are electrically inclined. With a little bit of creative wiring, you can run full 50/50 torque split all the time, rather than waiting for the car to tell you when it thinks you should have AWD. Considering the push your wagon has, it might be worth the effort.
                  Andrew Vernon -#181
                  1986 MR2 - (spinning out in a race near you)
                  1989 All-Trac - (on sabbatical)

Comment

i believe there is a very thin rubber gasket in there.
                    Chris
                    Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by FatAndy181 View Post
                      http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99075

This has nothing to do with your brake issue, but might help out with your drivability issue if you are electrically inclined. With a little bit of creative wiring, you can run full 50/50 torque split all the time, rather than waiting for the car to tell you when it thinks you should have AWD. Considering the push your wagon has, it might be worth the effort.
                      You think it has "little" push do you? Well, it seems that it's doing the 90/10 front / back split really well - back locks up just nicely to get around the corner, then WHAM, i'm FWD & heading for - well, you KNOW where i ended up, since you helped to extricate me.

thanks & i'm checking with the Rashliegh team on this too,

Comment

Originally posted by woodchips View Post
                        appears at 1st blush to be a thin gasket there, but at 6:00 am on a monday, i'm not sure. Will be double looking / checking tonight. No obvious signs of fluid anywhere. If it were a line, i would expect to see a stream of the lovely stuff inside or outside, (as happened with the Mazda last year) but no 'streams' to be seen. Plus, the pedal s l o w l y goes down, when depressed, not like there is a big immediate loss, and s l o w l y loses pressure, which is why i wondered about the master cylinder
                        Does the pedal drop with the engine off and the brakes pumped a few times to release all the vacuum in the booster? If so, there's a leak somewhere and if there's no evidence somewhere else, it's probably the m/c. If you slacken off the m/c mounting bolts and pull it back a bit, you should be able to tell if the m/c is leaking.
                        The Man's Prayer:
                        "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

FOUND IT !!!!!
                          Now that the car is relatively dry.
                          As was suggested, it's at the rubber grommet going thru the floor on the passenger side. line is leaking s l o w l y, so it's off to UAP for some brake line material etc.
                          I now hope i can release the bleeder to get it back up, when i install the new line

Thanks all.

Comment

to MAXIMISE brake fluid loss:
                            1. Buy rotten old import
                            2. Drive to ice race track, abuse for 4 weekends
                            3. Trailer home on saltiest day of spring
                            4. Leave alone in moist, grassy area until Mid-Dec.

Comment

Abuse for 6 (six) weekends....... Unless an import cannot make it through the whole season.... ooOOoo can i get a what what?
                              Josh Taylor
                              Ice Racing
                              Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Nugold, The official oil of Engine Failure

Two Hard Boiled All Up In His Grill

Comment

Working...
                              X