Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions

Being one of the many newbies this past weekend, I had a couple of questions.
    And I was getting conflicting answers.
    I know I could have just hunted down one of the officials and got the gospel.

It was a busy weekend, and I'm sure they were busy enough without answering my lame questions.

One question... Doesn't even pertain to the rules... Is the grid getting smaller.
    Or does the clubs make the pole position parking spots a different size each week? This weekend it sometimes looked like a Walmart parking lot LOL.

Just Kidding TAC did an awesome job this weekend.. I for one had a Blast

But I do have a question... I flipped through the rules but couldn't find anything on this
    If.. During a race I think I'm having a problem that I feel I need to get off the track. So I pull off into the in field... Later realize it's not a big deal.. (broken plastic)
    I'm ready to join back into the race.
    -Can I get back into the race even though I pulled off??
    -Can I during the race? (green)
    -Can I during a caution? Do I wait for an official on the tower to give me the OK?
    Can I during a Red flag? or Do I wait for an OK

Oh yeah LOL
    I have to give a THANKS to Eric (scrapmaster) for taking me out during training school Saturday.. And showing me what NOT TO DO LOL
    Thanks Eric.. Thankfully he was able to get it out and we were able to continue with the training session.
    Glenn Taylor
    Car #26

Re: Newbie Questions

OK My Bad! ...Pictures paint a thousand words, Yada Yada ... I did notice my self that the grid stakes were a little too close to each other ...

Sharon, (note to self), Grid stakes should be placed further apart than class 2 ...
    Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
    Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
    Minden Kin Club Member
    District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
    Car Number 1
    sigpic

Comment

There was sufficient space if each car happened to show up to mock grid in order (1...2...3...4...etc.). That's not the case of course so we found ourselves parallel parking more often than not. Minor inconvenience. Overall I thought it was as smooth as can be.

A wider mock grid would allow cars to pass around the "bigger boned" entrants like my Tina.

Side thought on the red light - just kidding sun's reflection - incident on Saturday. Maybe we could have the green flag unfurled throughout the race so as to give notice that the race is on, and for 2010 we could add a green light to the signs? Anyways, that was a weird one with one car stopping in the middle of the track. I thought it was a mechanical breakdown so I blew past him on the straight only to see a half-dozen cars stopped around turn 1.
      Rod Lentino #92 '03 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS
      Sponsored by Cooper Equipment Rentals
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TRBOTAXI View Post
        There was sufficient space if each car happened to show up to mock grid in order (1...2...3...4...etc.). That's not the case of course so we found ourselves parallel parking more often than not. Minor inconvenience. Overall I thought it was as smooth as can be.

A wider mock grid would allow cars to pass around the "bigger boned" entrants like my Tina.

Side thought on the red light - just kidding sun's reflection - incident on Saturday. Maybe we could have the green flag unfurled throughout the race so as to give notice that the race is on, and for 2010 we could add a green light to the signs? Anyways, that was a weird one with one car stopping in the middle of the track. I thought it was a mechanical breakdown so I blew past him on the straight only to see a half-dozen cars stopped around turn 1.
        Sun Visor.
        #21 1985 Pontiac Acadian
        Class 1 & SS1 (RWD)
        TAC & TLMC
        [/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by herbie View Post
          Sun Visor.
          The sun was to our backs. How would it help?
          Rod Lentino #92 '03 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS
          Sponsored by Cooper Equipment Rentals
          sigpic

Comment

sun visor on the light maybe? I dont know.. it looked red enough to make us all agree we should stop... I was seeing red after tina the talon crashed into me on the 'red'.. but it is quickly replaced with laughter. no hard feelings rod
            Josh Taylor
            Ice Racing
            Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Nugold, The official oil of Engine Failure

Two Hard Boiled All Up In His Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Chevettes4ever View Post
              sun visor on the light maybe? I dont know.. it looked red enough to make us all agree we should stop... I was seeing red after tina the talon crashed into me on the 'red'.. but it is quickly replaced with laughter. no hard feelings rod
              Spectating from the bank, when you and rodney threw out the anchor, it REALLY looked like it was a red light... Until the redlight actually went on, and its a bunch of led's. I think the best solution (mentioned from other spectators) would be a flashing red. Therefore there would be no mistaking it.
              Fiero #159 Ice racing

Thats what she said.

Comment

a flashing red would help.

....Has anyone answered the guys question? maybe i read over it.. I really want to know the answer myself too.
                Emma Hughes
                1990 Ford Festiva #148 TAC
                2009 Bank Manager

Comment

Originally posted by eh1990 View Post
                  a flashing red would help.

....Has anyone answered the guys question? maybe i read over it.. I really want to know the answer myself too.
                  THANKS

My $0.02 on this red flag issue ??? I did see the red flag.. That's what raised my question on getting back into the raise from the infield pits...

After Trina and I got a piece of Rodney we had some front end noise. After we realized it wasn't that serious, the red flag came out. As I understand it You Stop Were You Are. pull over. We were sitting in the infield pits when the flag came out.

My question is when can I go back on?? Could I have went on while they were gridding at the start finish ?? (At The Back)

Also... same scenario.. I'm in the in field pits.. Can I rejoin the race on a green? or on a yellow? or do I wait for a signal from an official on the flag tower?
                  Glenn Taylor
                  Car #26

Comment

If you go into the infield for any reason (remove parts/people/squirrells) you may rejoin the race at the opening past the start/finish tower. Wait for clear traffic or a signal from the starter.

As for the red light, flashing does not help. What if you glanced up as it was in the off position of the flash as you blow by the light. My question to everyone is what do you do on a red? No looking at the rule book. Most people stopped immediately, wrong. Slow down pull to one side or the other and come to a complete stop. Wait for instructions from the starter or grid personel. If you are in the infield and the track goes red, signal the starter for instructions.

Under no instances are you to leave the track on paddock side or even return from the paddock. Right Bryan? All vehicles that have to leave the race go to the infield.

This may help.

PS: Glenn, you need a ride!
                    "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
                    "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

Comment

Thanks Crusher

No... Not looking for a ride yet... I probably will be soon.
                      Glenn Taylor
                      Car #26

Comment

Originally posted by Crusher45 View Post

As for the red light, flashing does not help. What if you glanced up as it was in the off position of the flash as you blow by the light. My question to everyone is what do you do on a red? No looking at the rule book. Most people stopped immediately, wrong. Slow down pull to one side or the other and come to a complete stop. Wait for instructions from the starter or grid personel. If you are in the infield and the track goes red, signal the starter for instructions.
                        Well hopefully the racer in question would be looking for more than .5 of a second and realize that the light is flashing. Racing demands people be looking in many places, and while i realize a driver cant stare at a light for 5 seconds without crashing into someone, or a snowbank, im pretty sure people arent stupid enough to miss a big, red, flashing light (i could be wrong about that, you never know).
                        Emma Hughes
                        2009 Bank Manager

Comment

Originally posted by eh1990 View Post
                          Well hopefully the racer in question would be looking for more than .5 of a second and realize that the light is flashing. Racing demands people be looking in many places, and while i realize a driver cant stare at a light for 5 seconds without crashing into someone, or a snowbank, im pretty sure people arent stupid enough to miss a big, red, flashing light (i could be wrong about that, you never know).
                          Well, Em ..I still have to explain that one ... just another thing according to Murphy's law ...
                          Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
                          Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
                          Minden Kin Club Member
                          District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
                          Car Number 1
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Champ98 View Post
                            Well, Em ..I still have to explain that one ... just another thing according to Murphy's law ...
                            Which is why i was sure to include the whole " i could be wrong" thing. I'm a rookie for gods sake.

It seems unlikely that, given the light is flashing at a good speed, anyone would miss it. Thats my two cents, and seeing as no one will take it seriously i'll just shut up now
                            Emma Hughes
                            2009 Bank Manager

Comment

No worries.. I still dont know if it was red or not! and I still dont even know what happened!
                              Josh Taylor
                              Ice Racing
                              Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Nugold, The official oil of Engine Failure

Two Hard Boiled All Up In His Grill

Comment

Working...
                              X