Sunday Stud Race Red Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Stud Race Red Flag

After the red as a result of the fire on Sunday there was a green followed by an almost immediate red that caused a lot of confusion. My observation was that the flagman showed the flag (I assume all the lights went red at the same time) as the leaders were entering the front straight. The leaders went "by the book" and pulled over in a safe manner. The flagman (again what I saw) either dropped or threw the flag on the ground. I thought he threw it but on second thought figured I must have been mistaken. Backmarkers obviously missed the light coming onto the straight and with no red flying on the stand there was almost a very serious incident.
    All of this could be considered a near miss with positive results (no crash) - but -

The reason for this post - I heard that the reason for this red was that one of the officials "did not give the go ahead for the restart" and demanded the second red.

The first part of this post is based on my recollection. The second part is something that I heard and is not necessarily fact. I appologize if this is incorrect but am very curious to know the truth. If it didn't happen this way it would be good to clear the air and quash rumours. Can anyone tell me what actually happened?
    Bob Lynch
    154 Class 3

Re: Sunday Stud Race Red Flag

I think i was in the car during every red flag situation this weekend.

I don't know the cause of atleast 2 of them (this one in studs, and the one in the last 11/14 race).

All times however...i saw alot of people slam on the brakes immediately upon seeing the "flag" causing potentially dangerous situations.

It should probably be reminded that the BEST option in ice racing is to see the red, acknowledge the red, and just let off the gas, and coast to a stop in the safest possible location.

As for the question at hand...i thought of several possible senarios.
    -Scoring was not ready
    -officials were not ready (big deal....)
    -John wasn't back to his "post" (shouldn't be a big deal...but i could see how it might be)
    Chris
    Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz View Post
      I think i was in the car during every red flag situation this weekend.

I don't know the cause of atleast 2 of them (this one in studs, and the one in the last 11/14 race).

All times however...i saw alot of people slam on the brakes immediately upon seeing the "flag" causing potentially dangerous situations.

It should probably be reminded that the BEST option in ice racing is to see the red, acknowledge the red, and just let off the gas, and coast to a stop in the safest possible location.

As for the question at hand...i thought of several possible senarios.
      -Scoring was not ready
      -officials were not ready (big deal....)
      -John wasn't back to his "post" (shouldn't be a big deal...but i could see how it might be)
      You're Right Chris on both accounts ... I believe the rule says come to a safe and controlled stop and pull to the side of the track to allow emergency vehicles through ...or something like that ..

And I believe John the CMO was still attending to a worker in the trailer who had fallen while running with a fire extinguisher, from the trailer. the only extinguisher on the track was the one in the Kink that you retrieved yourself in your racer( it was left out overnight), most of them were in the trailer...
      Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
      Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
      Minden Kin Club Member
      District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
      Car Number 1
      sigpic

Comment

The first red was obviously for the car fire. The second, almost immediate red, was thrown because Medical was attending an injury in the registration trailer and had not cleared to re-start the race.

Regardless of who thinks it's a big deal or not, medical MUST be on or very near station, be ready AND give the OK to resume racing.

Hope that clears things up for you Bob
        Ice Race Guru a.k.a. Sharon
        FormerIce Race Director

Comment

Thanks Sharon.

Comment

that makes perfect sense....

if he was tending to an injury, then yes we should have been stopped, and rightly so.

I thought he was dropping the dead extinguishers at the door of the trailer..

oh..and the extinguisher thing definately was weird!! i was sitting there watching them try to put things out, and yell "we need more extinguishers" everyone just stood there scratching heads! i just dropped the clutch to try and find something! Didn't end up needing it...but man! Then i almost had to carry another for the "fire" in the 11/14 race!
            Last edited by Do It Sidewayz; 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM.
            Chris
            Old School Motorsports

Comment

Working...
            X