Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Race Tech ?

Hi all
    As this is my first year building a ice racer I was wondering about a couple of things for tech. Street Stud or Rubber to Ice

1- Windshield crack? Dose not pass MTO standards for a safety as it passes under drivers wiper sweep.
    2- If #1 fails is lexan OK to run? On all window openings?
    3- Sun roof, dose it have to be replaced with a sheet of tin?
    4- High mount Brake light, can it be in a wing? Or dose it have to be in the cab / back window?
    5- Bumper skins, Can I carriage bolt them on?

Thanks
    SPDA Member
    CASC-OR MOBLE 1 #3 DMOD 83 Mazda Hybrid

Re: Ice Race Tech ?

Originally posted by Caveman View Post
    Hi all
    As this is my first year building a ice racer I was wondering about a couple of things for tech. Street Stud or Rubber to Ice

1- Windshield crack? Dose not pass MTO standards for a safety as it passes under drivers wiper sweep.
    4- High mount Brake light, can it be in a wing? Or dose it have to be in the cab / back window?

Thanks
    the crack cannot go through both sides of the glass... lexan is alright to use, but sucks with wipers...
    sunroof, if it is glass must be covered with sheet metal.
    the wing light would be accectable.. i have seen other cars like that..
    as long as your bumpers cannot hook on anything. such as another car.
    Josh Taylor
    Ice Racing
    Chevette hell yeah

BallzOut Racing

Nugold, The official oil of Engine Failure

Two Hard Boiled All Up In His Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman View Post
      Hi all

Thanks

1- 2.1.19 Windshields.
      Cars shall have a windshield. Windshields may be glass or lexan or plexiglass. If a windshield is cracked, the weekend scrutineer and/or the series scrutineer shall assess the crack to determine if it goes through to both sides. Windshields with a crack, or cracks, found to be through to both sides of the material used shall be replaced. A grace period of one (1) week shall be granted.
      In the case of an on-track incident causing the windshield to crack, or to have to be removed altogether, the same grace period shall be given provided that it is deemed safe to do so by the weekend or series scrutineer. Windshields with a crack, or cracks, that do not go all the way through, or are found to be in the driver's viewing area, shall be left to the discretion of the weekend scrutineer and/or series scrutineer as to replacement.

2- 2.1.13 Windows
      Cars shall run with driver's and passenger's side windows closed. Cars having no side windows shall be equipped with a window net for each occupant. Window net(s) shall be equipped with a quick release device. Window nets which bear an "SFI Spec 27.1" or equivalent labels are acceptable. Window net(s) shall be installed as per diagram "Window Net Installation" in Appendix
      B herein.

3- 2.1.2 f) Sunroofs: A sunroof constructed of metal shall remain closed while the Car is on the track. A sunroof constructed of glass, plastic or Plexiglas shall be removed and replaced with a solid metal structure.

4- 2.1.12 Lights
      Cars shall have one clearly visible 55 watt rearward facing, amber running light and at least one clearly visible 24 watt rearward facing red brake light. It is strongly recommended that these lights be mounted in a location where they will not be damaged by minor impacts. In or above the rear window is recommended. The running light shall be on during races.

5- 2.4 Bumpers.
      2.4.1 Bumpers shall be designed not to hook or lock together with bumpers on another Car. Bumpers shall be securely fastened to the car.

Basically what Josh said. :P

I didnt know you were building an Ice racer ... You're in now eh. What are you fixing up?
      Fiero #159 Ice racing

Thats what she said.

Comment

Rob has a prelude,hoping he would run SS but not sure.

Comment

Thank you for claifacation!

Need to find some rubber for SS, have lots of snows to shread for rubber.
          need a cage for next summer and oval track so mabey even metal .
          But im hoping to run SS. Maybe I'll have a car remaining in the spring so I can oval track it.
          just got a integra as a parts car kinda, its a buddys parts car but ive clamed some bits for storage. some OE springs for the rude and some coil overs for the 7
          Last edited by Caveman; 12-01-2009, 12:04 AM.
          SPDA Member

Comment

Rob just a heads up,tractionizing used tires isn't to good for the unit as the tire is full of small stones that dull the spikes.Picking them out is also no fun I expect.

Comment

Thats what the young kids at the shop are for.
              Then spin it up to 160 on the hoist.

SS it is
              SPDA Member

Comment

Cool,you'll like SS better for sure-no guessing which tires to try,no mountain of tires that you've tried and didn't work but are saving just in case the perfect imaginary condition does happen this year,grip is pretty close every lap and fwd SS is REALLY friggin competitive!.

See you there.

Comment

Working...
                X