TAC made the right call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAC made the right call

Whether you agree or disagree, TAC made a good call Sunday for cancelling the second round of races. The carnage that came off the track after Class 3 has now made us loose a few good drivers as their cars are beyond repair. I had already put the Port Perry Sign Shop Mean Dawg Racin' Golf (blaitant sponsorship ad inserted here) to bed when the cancel order came through the paddock. I like my racer and wanted it to be in somewhat the same shape as when I brought it up north. It was just too fast for me and too much grip. I am not a road racer but LOVE ice racing. Good call TAC!!!

We will see you all this Saturday!
    "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
    "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

too bad it wasnt made earlier...

Dave;

Cancelling the races when they did was definitely the right call, but just a little late. Since three of the rubber classes ran their second race of the day and the other 5 rubber classes didnt, they wont score any of those races officially. This means that all that carnage was for nothing.
    The time to make a decision to stop racing was BEFORE the second round of races began, that way it is fair for scoring purposes. If all 6 heat races cant be run, then none of them should be run.
    Now there are a number of disgruntled drivers in classes 3, 11 & 14 who wrecked their cars running in a race that wont be counted for points anyway.

Hindsight is always 20/20 ....

This should be brought up at the organizers meeting for future reference...

Tony
    "Got a Dent or a Ding? Give us a Ring"
    Auto Cosmetic.Com- Your #1 choice in Paintless Dent Removal
    Lease coming due?
    Save hundreds in repair costs- we fix the dents without bodywork or repainting!
    416 948 4554
    Mississauga, Vaughn and Scarborough locations

Comment

I agree that they made the right choice... especially because of the speed of the track.. i know for myself as a rookie i struggled to keep up with the pack because the speed they were going.. i wasn't comfortable with... i ended up going from 5th to last but as most i missed my 2nd race.. and wondering if they are going to be able to make them up next weekend.. i hope so because i know a few of us are running very tight place positions and need those races... oh well.. hope to see you guys next weekend!!
      Lisa Shaw
      Class 2 #185

Comment

even though my dad was the organizer. i didn't agree with some things they did.

It really wasn't TAC's decision to shut down the racing, it was the Steward and the Medical Officer.

I think the problem we had, was plowing the track. If we didn't plow the track, i don't think there would have been any carnage. If all that snow and slush was left on the outside line, it would have been ok, as it had the amazing ability to just bring your car to a stop (or slow you down ALOT). The plowing just uncovered the REALLY slippery ice below.

I was kinda looking forward to my last race...but ah well
        Chris
        Old School Motorsports

Comment

Tony you are right. We as organizers try to give as much track time as possible. This is our second commandment. Our first and foremost is driver safety. TAC tried to go as far as possible then call it. I agree the CMO and Steward and Clerk should have had the pow wow at the break and made a decision then. Hindsite is always good but we can't use it to make a real time decision.

Comment

Sounds like its a good thing I didn't drive up for sunday's race-would've been pretty pissy if I only got one race before pulling the plug.
            On a side note I've never heard of cancelling ice racing because it was too grippy!

Just goes to show you some of the talent pool this sport draws if they crash even more with grip don't ya think?

Comment

Actually it's not the gene pool. Grip no grip is dangerous and most cars do not have roll cages. If I am sliding sideways on unexpectant ice and someone besides me has grip and slams into me. It is dangerous. We base our sport on slower speeds. Those that need to go faster can race studs and summer race.

Comment

Some of us managed to slow down, only to be hit by those who didn't...
                Shift_Happens

Comment

Some of us managed to slow down, only to be hit by those who didn't...
                  And that's why it was the right thing to call it a day. I was marshalling in turn 4 (or whatever you'd call the last turn on to the straight) watching the track disappear as the day wore on. Corner exit speeds for those who read the track right just kept going up, and up, as did the speed of the cars in the turn.

I wasn't at the other end of the straight, but even from where I was standing, there looked to be some really "interesting" action at the end of the straight. I'm totally OK with speed, but when the conditions get so variable, (like traction, followed by no traction) and we're running some cars with no roll cages, passengers, and 3 point belts, and the speeds start going up, well, at some point, it's wise to call it a day before we have to call somebody else. For those whose cars are bent, all I can say is that I hope it's fixable.

Pray for cold! There's one more weekend to go, we all hope!
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Crusher45
                    [BGrip no grip is dangerous and most cars do not have roll cages. [/B]
                    Really.......WOW.

Up here we run full cages in studded and a minimum of a roll bar with support tubes in rubber to ice. We're looking at full cages for rubber to ice for next year do to a record number of roll overs this year in cunjuniction with a recorded top speed of 121.5 KPH in a Rubber to Ice car (recorded with a calibrated radar gun).
                    Robert Nolan
                    Thunder Bay Autosport Club
                    Calgary Sports Car Club
                    Calgary Kart Racing Club

(Still need to find somewhere to Ice Race in Alberta though)

Comment

Rob,

In our rubber to ice it is not mandatory to have a cage of any type and the regular seat belt is permissable. Only in stud classes it is law to hasve a roll cage. We have had only one roll over rubber to ice this year and it was more like a flop on it's side and it was a Yugo. Oh and top speed rubber to ice on the straight is 80kmh.

And Rob good luck this weekend with your pro event. If we hadn't of had a raindate I know of at least a dozen of us that would have gone up.

Comment

Hey, just for the record Crusher, I had my tank of a Citation doing 103 km/h at the end of the straight on the first weekend. It's about the only decent record I have so I thought I would make it known.

Also, I think part of the problem on Sunday was the lack of driver adaption. While yes, I too was involved in some of the malay in corner 1 (sorry again Pat, it was the first time I'd had any real problems in that corner and I tried my best to avoid the accident unravelling 10 ft. in front of me), after that incident, I immediately changed my line and avoided any repeat problems.

It's the same thing when you see cars piling up behind someone that's been banked for 5 laps. Obviously, it's a dicey corner, you know there's a car stuck there that's a hazard, you must change your line to avoid the situation. Don't expect any great miracles... especially on ice.

I think it was a good call that they ended the races to avoid any serious injury, not to mention save what little was left of the track. I just feel sorry for those that suffered major damage only to find out their points for that race woudn't be counted.

Best of luck to all those that have major repairs to do this week!

Comment

Yep..i'll agree.. although i don't look at the speedo much, I have seen close to 110 in my rubber car after studs.
                          Chris
                          Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz

I think the problem we had, was plowing the track.
                            If all that snow and slush was left on the outside line, it would have been ok, as it had the amazing ability to just bring your car to a stop (or slow you down ALOT).
                            I couldn't agree more with this point. Why did the track get plowed anyways? I couldn't figure out what advantage there was to erasing the buffer zone before the banks. Hell, the snow even provided a bit of a cushion to launch off of. Oh well, hopefully Tom can work some miracles and give us a track for the final weekend.
                            Andrew Vernon -#181
                            1986 MR2 - (spinning out in a race near you)
                            1989 All-Trac - (on sabbatical)

Comment

from what Tom was saying...He was just going to move the outside back out about 10 feet, and move the outside bank out also.
                              Chris
                              Old School Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                              X