Street Studs for 2013 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Street Studs for 2013 ...

Based on the fact that the higher powered cars lost their studs in one weekend and a factory studded tire is not likely re-studable I can't see a factory studded tire being a good option. At least now if there is an issue we don't have to pitch the tire.
    _____
    BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

Originally posted by shanehutton View Post
      Based on the fact that the higher powered cars lost their studs in one weekend and a factory studded tire is not likely re-studable I can't see a factory studded tire being a good option. At least now if there is an issue we don't have to pitch the tire.
      I was well aware of the Hakka's and their probs Shane, that's why I was asking mike the cost verses the cons ...
      Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
      Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
      Minden Kin Club Member
      District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
      Car Number 1
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Champ98 View Post
        Good for you Mike! Sounds like you guys will get a full season this year ...

What is the cost for a set of HAK 7's studded from the factory?
        Hakka 7's are the most expensive winter tire I know of, but they're the best in my opinion. It's just like anything else, if you have a buddy that's a Nokian dealer, you can get them for about $20 or $30 more than a Blizzak will cost you.
        Michael Kamm

Comment

i checked General tire General Tire Altimax Arctic. Sizes are very limited: no R13 and no narrow ones. Price is about the same or slightly higher than Hankook I*Pike W409. Thread looks similar in both, however there is a difference: Altimax has very few stud pockets on outside edge that i guess does not help during turns, especially with negative camber setup.
          imho, this tire in not the way to go.

#53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
          #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

You are so right dude ... and thanks for the leg work on the graphics ...

And when I checked the stud requirement, they called for an 11mm stud ...??
            Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

Minden Kin Club Member
            Car Number 1
            sigpic

Comment

WOW! I just realized ...over 13,000 views on this thread ..that's rivaling the checkered flag thread

considering this one has been up for less than a year ...

Minden Kin Club Member
              Car Number 1
              sigpic

Comment

seems like nobody did all four things in the following order:

1. get new tires
                2. install proper studs
                3. bed them
                4. race them

for the sake of research i ordered a new set of RC01s and going to get them studded/ bedded properly.
                after that i'll run two classes and will be beating crap out of them and see how things work. to my huge surprise, after running both SS1 and SS11 this weekend, i've lost very few (if any) studs. ever ripped pockets hold them!
                yes, studs are tilted but they work.
                #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

I think we need to do some researching on tires/stud combos for next season, we only have 3 weekends left. This is the prime time to do it when we have ice to test on!
                  Lisa Shaw
                  Class 2 #185

Comment

I ran my 13's this weekend that were restudded with the stamped stud,they only ran the 1st race of the year.I bedded them on the street with around a 2k loop around minden.I ran the car very hard with lots of sideways action and they seem to be in very good condition being all there and straight.

Comment

Originally posted by andrey7474 View Post
                      seems like nobody did all four things in the following order:

1. get new tires
                      2. install proper studs
                      3. bed them
                      4. race them
                      There are at least 3 cars I can think of that did bed the studs in on concrete or the road before touching ice and they all seem to have very good stud retention. How badly their studs were worn down I don't know but they have all been reporting good results so far.

As far as tire testing goes I am hunting down a set of Sailuns currently and hope to have them for testing this weekend. I'll post more tonight after work because I again need to pad my post count.
                      Andrew Vernon -#181
                      1986 MR2 - (spinning out in a race near you)
                      1989 All-Trac - (on sabbatical)

Comment

Originally posted by RSR Racing View Post
                        I think we need to do some researching on tires/stud combos for next season, we only have 3 weekends left. This is the prime time to do it when we have ice to test on!
                        we are working on it.
                        #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                        #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Originally posted by max attack View Post
                          I ran the car very hard with lots of sideways action and they seem to be in very good condition being all there and straight.
                          i hope for the same outcome with the new set as well because there is a couple of really good things about rc01:

1. price. it's half cheaper than last year 409.
                          2. weight. much lighter too
                          3. snow grip - they are really fast when there is a snow on the track
                          4. ability to hold studs after re-studding and even with ripped pockets
                          #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                          #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Originally posted by andrey7474 View Post
                            we are working on it.
                            I don't think your aware of the amount of research done after last season.The results will remain the same-the sailuns will hold studs better than the 409's which is the 2nd best of all tires tried.Reread this entire thread for results.
                            My vote remains the same as it was months ago with #1choice being the sailuns followed by the 409.With the smaller stud I want a faster tire than the rc01 to make up part of the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by max attack View Post
                              I don't think your aware of the amount of research done after last season.The results will remain the same-the sailuns will hold studs better than the 409's which is the 2nd best of all tires tried.Reread this entire thread for results.
                              My vote remains the same as it was months ago with #1choice being the sailuns followed by the 409.With the smaller stud I want a faster tire than the rc01 to make up part of the difference.
                              unfortunately i don't have time to read the whole topic. research is good but it cannot beat the actual test.
                              Tom, have anyone tried 409 with #13 non-rally stud?
                              how about sailuns with non-rally #13 stud?
                              how we know what tire with #13 stud is faster and holds them better?
                              #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                              #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

It doesn't take long to go thru it,I did it just the other night in fact.Probably better use of your time than starting the entire process over again.There's been literally hundreds of emails/pms behind the scenes between myself and key people involved in that research.

With regards to which tires will hold the #13's versus the rally studs I think the comparision is a fair one.If one tire holds the rally stud better than another its a good bet that the same tire will retain a #13 stud better as well.

I have a set of sailuns and considered pulling the rally studs and restudding with the latest #13 steel stud but that test won't be representive of a new tire with virgin pockets.
                                The sailuns were the fastest of all the rally studded tires tried with the best stud retention-case closed imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X