X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street Studs for 2013 ...

OK. I'm sold.

_____
    BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

Thanks Tom, can you say iPike knockoff!??

Thanks for the pics, now does anyone have a pic of the stud itself?

And Tom, I'm presuming that these pics show a number 15?
      Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
      Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
      Minden Kin Club Member
      District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
      Car Number 1
      sigpic

Comment

Andy...there are litereally 10-20 "I-pike" rip-offs, and some might actually say that the I-Pike was a rip-off of a Gislaved anyways!

As for the studs:
        http://www.brunowessel.com/catalog/i...=item&itemid=3
        Chris
        Old School Motorsports

Comment

The stud in the pic is an 8x13,according to their website these studs are the shortest "rally" stud they offer and is the same 13mm lenght as the #13 aluminum studs we propose to use.I don't recall seeing what # stud sailun suggested for its tires.
          I much prefer the rally stud over what we currently use with its larger base and stepped sides combined with the tapered head with minimal aluminum to wear around the larger carbide center.
          But having said that I would like to have less stud protrusion(not really,just looking towards whats best for the series) than what the pics show,while the sailuns were holding studs about as well as the ipikes and better than anything else tried they still tossed studs.Strangely(to me at least)most stud loss was occuring to the inner rows of studs,not sure what the difference would be to cause that.Studs were both glued and not glued,no noticable difference was found
          We have nearly 10 times the # of SS entries here so minimizing stud loss and track wear is more important for our series.Also if the menard tires is going to be phased out and an alternate tire used to offer less grip/track wear/speed than maybe the rally studs could be that class?.

Comment

Originally posted by max attack View Post
            The stud in the pic is an 8x13,according to their website these studs are the shortest "rally" stud they offer and is the same 13mm lenght as the #13 aluminum studs we propose to use.I don't recall seeing what # stud sailun suggested for its tires.
            I much prefer the rally stud over what we currently use with its larger base and stepped sides combined with the tapered head with minimal aluminum to wear around the larger carbide center.
            But having said that I would like to have less stud protrusion(not really,just looking towards whats best for the series) than what the pics show,while the sailuns were holding studs about as well as the ipikes and better than anything else tried they still tossed studs.Strangely(to me at least)most stud loss was occuring to the inner rows of studs,not sure what the difference would be to cause that.Studs were both glued and not glued,no noticable difference was found
            We have nearly 10 times the # of SS entries here so minimizing stud loss and track wear is more important for our series.Also if the menard tires is going to be phased out and an alternate tire used to offer less grip/track wear/speed than maybe the rally studs could be that class?.
            As i don't see phasing out the Menards before the 2014 season if at all, (read: Menards did not run this year so newer tires are still fresh enough to run a series and there are still tires available for sale on forums), I would like to see this stud, (the Wessell), in an iPike for 2013. Toms buddies had longer tracks and higher speeds to contend with and I'm wondering if that had something to do with retention.

Your thoughts?
            Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

Minden Kin Club Member
            Car Number 1
            sigpic

Comment

Ipike or the sailun and this stud make sense to me. I think we should see if sailun is willing to get on board as they have partnered with the CASC before.
              _____

Comment

With regards to menards I agree that it would be better to keep them,just thinking long term as its been long rumored that new menards may cease to be built.If the winters continue to be less ice building friendly then a less aggressive choice may need to be sorted,like I said before I'm cool with using my car for testing next year.
                I've had long discussions regarding the differences in speed/track lenghts with Jordan along with driving styles and car set-ups and their effect on stud retention.We haven't really come to a solid idea as to the causes,with our track layout my feeling is that stud loss is mainly due to over driving the car with lots of wheelspin while the wheels are turned more than needed(mostly a fwd thing) and/or chassis set-up.I spend quite alot of time studying all those great photo's Jimmy and others post and there's lots of crazy miss alignment that will lead to studs being pulled in muiltiple directions at once.
                I stressed to him before the season started that they need to drive like its a rubber car,his guys that didn't lost the most studs-pretty common with here I believe.
                I see that braiden tire is a hankook dealer but not a sailun dealer,that will obviously have an effect.I'm fine with continuing with the ipike's(especially with a little larger stud),I've had very very minimal problems with stud loss over the last 4 years-usually less than a dozen total for the set of 4 I run the entire season on.

Comment

After watching a lot of FWD races from the banks this year I would not be surprised if smashed in fenders rubbing on tires was responsible for some lost studs. I saw a lot of cars making tire to fender contact when they had body roll in the corners and under braking. I am not sure how the fenders all end up bent?
                  _____

Comment

Originally posted by shanehutton View Post
                    Ipike or the sailun and this stud make sense to me. I think we should see if sailun is willing to get on board as they have partnered with the CASC before.
                    Sailun did not partner with CASC that was a Kinsmen thing ...they were allowed on the concession rd, the infield and the driving school area.
                    Last edited by Champ98; 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM.

Minden Kin Club Member
                    Car Number 1
                    sigpic

Comment

They worked with the CASC Time Attack series last summer. Sorry for the confusion.
                      _____

Comment

FWIW.

I've heard that Sailun has gotten out of everything "motorsports"

Doesn't mean that you can't buy their tires and use them (they are cheap anyways)

FWIW, I don't think the tires need to be super fast. The idea of this class is to have everyone on a level playing field, and tires that are reliable. If a Sailun is 2 seconds faster vs a Hankook, who cares?

What's important moving forward for the series is this:
                        - A supplier/tire builder who is interested and committed to the series

- A supplier/tire builder who understands how studded tires work, and is willing/able to do the research needed to find the best combination of stud, tire, glue/no glue.

- A supplier/tire builder who is able to provide the support to competitors. Does this mean at-track support? Maybe.

- A supplier/tire builder who either has the studding equipment, or is willing to purchase it. (remember, we are not in quebec where ever "JOE GARAGE" has a stud gun)

If this is Braiden....great! But all options need to and should be explored.
                        Chris
                        Old School Motorsports

Comment

Fellow Ice racers

The tire stud combination, using the Wessel stud, was supported out of Montreal, and is basically the tire stud combination used on the Echo cup cars in Sherbrook.

Don’t ask me how I know.

If you want to go to a single supplier, Dan Bolitan can probably help.

the studs when properly installed with black max ran on bare pavement, spun the tires in gravel and did not lose any studs in the tests.

Peter Austin.

P.S.
                          One set of tires that last seasons and costs a little more is cheaper and fairer, than replacing tires during the season.

When a stud tire solution was offered in another thread years ago, it was deleted by the then president, an ice racer, to support an existing CASC approved supplier.

Comment

I wondered when you were going to chime in Peter.

Minden Kin Club Member
                            Car Number 1
                            sigpic

Comment

If anyone can come up with a picture of a "brunowessel" #13 stud inserted into an ipike w409 .... they will get lunch on me at the track at the TAC weekend.

Minden Kin Club Member
                              Car Number 1
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Champ98 View Post
                                If anyone can come up with a picture of a "brunowessel" #13 stud inserted into an ipike w409 .... they will get lunch on me at the track at the TAC weekend.
                                I might be able to provide that,I shoot a request off and post it once I receive one back.

Comment

Working...
                                X