Street Studs for 2013 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Studs for 2013 ...

I presume with the mild winter and very abrasive track conditions this past season, that many, if not all, of the street stud racers are left with a pile of used if not useless tires that will be turned in for discount pricing, sometime before next season.

Therefore, I would like to propose a change to the street stud tire build, and post this poll, to gauge interest.

I would think that the SS series would be a lot fairer, if all the tires used the proper stud in them, that is a #13 stud where a #13 should be, instead of drilling the tire, not that they are drilled anymore, and placing a #15 in it's place. All the tires will remain Hankook iPikes.

In this way we would accomplish two things. Everyone would be on a tire that is more reliable and still afford the user with slightly better traction than RTI. And, Track wear would not be an issue in a season like the last where we actually hit dirt without the Menard classes running.

This also would fall in line with my proposal to revamp our thinking with regard to full competition studs, should the Menard tire go the way of the DoDo ... in the 2014 season.
    Keep the same stud in the same tire.
    9.30%
    Shorten the stud to a #13 in the same tire.
    27.91%
    Keep the same supplier. With Track support
    18.60%
    Change the supplier. With Track support.
    9.30%
    Aluminium Studs only.
    0.00%
    Steel Studs only.
    34.88%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Champ98; 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM.
    Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
    Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
    Minden Kin Club Member
    District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
    Car Number 1
    sigpic

Re: Street Studs for 2013 ...

Hmm, OK, So I know it's early in it's menial life, but with 35 views and only four votes, with no replies, how about responding to the thread with your thoughts ...

Only four voters so far, I do hope they are Ice Racers ...
    Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

Minden Kin Club Member
    Car Number 1
    sigpic

Comment

My vote is using the proper steel stud on the same tire with the same supplier.... With track support.

It would be nice to have a consistent, reliable tire. I think the current configuration has the studs move too much. I also think it's the aluminum collar that's responsible for the majority grip. These collars chip and the grip fades. I would hope that the correct length and material should help both the fading grip and loss of studs.

However, I'm not sure if a tire the relies completely on its small carbide would be any bit quicker than a well tractionized tire. I actually think the RTI tire would be quicker.... in some weather... black art and all that...

As for the on track support... It would be really nice to have... If there isn't we should be allowed to re-stud the tires ourselves.
      Fiero #159 Ice racing

Thats what she said.

Comment

I agree that this is the year to make a change. I can't imagine there has ever been a year with so many in a position to be buying new tires.

I vote for steel studs. Even if they only last a little bit longer I don't see a reason not do run them.

#13 seems to make more sense but I hope we don't end up slower than the rti crowd.

The only other thing I could think of would be the factory studded continental tires as they have received a lot of good feedback on stud retention. It could also mean we could source them from anywhere they are sold as being a factory build there is no variation between suppliers.

Would running the correct stud in a sailun tire be an option as they are inexpensive and I believe have already worked with casc so we could try to get direct manufacturer support. not likely but it would be cool.
        _____
        BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

I'm not sure which continental stud tires are referred to but a few years ago they were $300 a pop. I'd like to keep the price of SS tires affordable like the W409 is now.

I'm not too familiar with the Sailun product but I'd hope they were well tested on ice tracks before taking the plunge.

Comment

Originally posted by Champ98 View Post
            Hmm, OK, So I know it's early in it's menial life, but with 35 views and only four votes, with no replies, how about responding to the thread with your thoughts ...

Only four voters so far, I do hope they are Ice Racers ...
            i cannot make a choice because have no clue about all pros/ cons of each tire, stud and supplier. and i think there are many other racers in the same boat.
            #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
            #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Well, It's official ...As of yesterday at the CSC Racing open-house, I was informed by the VP and Pres of CASC that Tirecraft will no longer be sponsoring any division in Racing ....

The new tire sponsor for CASC will be Braidon Tire in Markham. I will be working closely with them in the very near future to figure out the SS class supplies and track support.

Minden Kin Club Member
              Car Number 1
              sigpic

Comment

I don't see why we should change anything with the street stud class. The only reason the tires didn't last is because of the track being the way it was and temperatures not cold enough. The only time I lost any studs is because of when the track went to dirt and ripped a few out. Other than that I lost no studs all year.

Comment

Didn't vote to prevent affecting the outcome. But street studs seems to be at a crossroads I hope the ss racers chime in to ensure their view is represented as the supplier adn tire choice is evaluated.
                  Rubbber to ice - Coroller All-Trac
                  Kinsmen Club of Oshawa - the only all canadian service club

Comment

I was talking with Andy at the meeting, as long as the SS class tire gives enough grip that we can still run a typical racing line (outside in to apex and back out) I am happy. If the tires turn into rubber tire and you must look for the grip line (staying 20ft from the inside bank) I am not so happy.

I do think the stud and hole in the tire need to be made for each other. If we are looking at other tires maybe one designed for a #15 stud is the way to go. Thinking the big sud will get more grip then the #13 (I don't know if there is a grip difference)

Maybe the #13 with a tire with more studs to keep the grip levels at the same at yesterdays tire.

It would be great if we could get a tire manufacture on board to subsidize the tires and more importantly to get us direction on what stud to stick in the tire.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRabbit Racer View Post
                      I'm not sure which continental stud tires are referred to but a few years ago they were $300 a pop. I'd like to keep the price of SS tires affordable like the W409 is now.

I'm not too familiar with the Sailun product but I'd hope they were well tested on ice tracks before taking the plunge.
                      The conti you are referring to is the special ice race tire they use in europe. The one I am talking about is their mass produced pre-studded street tire. They should not be any more than we are currently paying.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...cecontact.html
                      _____
                      BMW E30 (#84) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)

Comment

I actually bought the continental from tirecraft two and a half years ago for my brothers accent that he was driving out to BC and ski bumming. He used the tires cross Canada, up and down mountain roads (passing Subaru LOL) and back to ontario.

I drove out with him this January with bare pavement the whole way (they suck a braking on dry pavment) but once in the rocky's I loved driving that car up and down the switch back ice and snow covered roads.

I bought 175/?? R13's and they where around $120 each from concord tirecraft.

They are a great ice tire but not the same as yesterdays SS tire. I fear that continental may be slower in some conditions then a tractionised RTI tire.

Comment

Originally posted by shanehutton View Post
                          The conti you are referring to is the special ice race tire they use in europe. The one I am talking about is their mass produced pre-studded street tire. They should not be any more than we are currently paying.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...cecontact.html
                          Thanks for the link Shane. it does not say if these tires have the stud molded into the tread in the manufacturing process, however the "scratch pattern" looks a lot more aggressive than the iPike ...wish there was a larger picture.

Minden Kin Club Member
                          Car Number 1
                          sigpic

Comment

This is a pic of the conti, you can see it is aluminum with a steel center and is not poking out of the tire

http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Uploa...conti.jpg.html

Comment

Originally posted by briansexsmith View Post
                              This is a pic of the conti, you can see it is aluminum with a steel center and is not poking out of the tire

http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Uploa...conti.jpg.html
                              Thanks for the pic Brian. They still protrude though, and the scratch pattern seems aggressive with studs almost down the middle. Was this pic taken after the trip out west?

Minden Kin Club Member
                              Car Number 1
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X