Ice Race Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Race Numbers

As stated at the Spring drivers meeting 2012 and the fall drivers meeting 2012 for the 2013 season I will be following the rules set out in the 2013 rule book and deleting any numbers above 199.

Today, with the help of various members of my advisory committee I will be releasing those numbers not run last year according to the final results of the 2012 season.

If your number is above 199, please go online and select a new number from the list provided ... Please be patient, as there is a limited supply of numbers available. There will be plenty more as they are released from the list of over 250 racers.

The rulebook reads as follows:

2.3.4 Only the numbers 1 through 199 shall be permitted. The numbers 00 through 09 will be phased out after the 2013 season.

2.3.5 Number registration shall be carried over to the following year unless the driver does not enter an Ice Race Event in the year for which the number is registered. The driver shall notify the number registrar if a number is no longer needed.

2.3.6 New registered numbers may be obtained from the Ice Race Director or online at www.casc.on.ca (member’s area).
    Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
    Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
    Minden Kin Club Member
    District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
    Car Number 1
    sigpic

Re: Ice Race Numbers

Really? So my number 291 that I have for more than 4 years is obsolete and no longer able to be used. Wasted my money building a new number for this years racing.

Just curious, what value does it serve the organization to do this? Can't see any from this side, not saying there isn't, just that I can't see it. From my perspective, the summary of changes to rules should have included this. An unusual change like this is not something we would expect to have to review.

Originally posted by Champ98 View Post
    As stated at the Spring drivers meeting 2012 and the fall drivers meeting 2012 for the 2013 season I will be following the rules set out in the 2013 rule book and deleting any numbers above 199.

Today, with the help of various members of my advisory committee I will be releasing those numbers not run last year according to the final results of the 2012 season.

If your number is above 199, please go online and select a new number from the list provided ... Please be patient, as there is a limited supply of numbers available. There will be plenty more as they are released from the list of over 250 racers.

The rulebook reads as follows:

2.3.4 Only the numbers 1 through 199 shall be permitted. The numbers 00 through 09 will be phased out after the 2013 season.

2.3.5 Number registration shall be carried over to the following year unless the driver does not enter an Ice Race Event in the year for which the number is registered. The driver shall notify the number registrar if a number is no longer needed.

2.3.6 New registered numbers may be obtained from the Ice Race Director or online at www.casc.on.ca (member’s area).
    Rubbber to ice - Coroller All-Trac
    Kinsmen Club of Oshawa - the only all canadian service club

Comment

Todd, it's not the 1st time this has been brought up and the rule change only clarifies what has been discussed in the past at spring and fall drivers meetings.
      woodchips (Larry) Ice Racer 157.
      Sponsors-Thomas Contracting & Precision Tune-Brooklin

Comment

Sorry to be so unaware, but why limit to 199 ?

If you need 3 digits anyway.......
        Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I think the answer is as follows:

Scoring is accomplished by a spotter who calls the car numbers, and a couple of writers who write the numbers down in sequence, each lap, as the cars go by. Not a problem with widely spaced cars. But, what if there's a whole bunch of them, all at once? Now, sit down and write a sequence of car numbers, one after the other, real fast. Easier if the car numbers are just two digits to record instead of three, right? 35 is faster than 135. Now, consider writing 135 vs 235. 135 is faster simply because you can write the 1 with a simple pen stroke. The 2 takes more time. Again, not a problem if there aren't many cars. And if you screw up, who cares, you can fix it next lap....unless there's a red flag....... we never have those, right? and if you miss writing a car's lap down, and they're down a lap at the end it really doesn't matter because, of course, no one cares about finishing position, or points or any of that stuff, right? Or, then again, maybe they just might.

BTW, I was at the fall meeting and I don't recall hearing about the change, but then, I also have the attention span of a gnat, so I probably missed it. Regardless, I think Andy is doing the right thing, even if scoring is not the reason.
          Last edited by Gary; 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM. Reason: missed the point, as usual
          Gary

Comment

Working...
          X