Street Stud info....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Stud info....

well i was bored at school, and i did a little research.

here's some info from quebec. about installing studs, and other misc stuff.

I'm thinking we should basically just mirror their rules

I think there rule is like 90 studs a tire. Doesn't sound to unreasonable. This guy protrudes them about 1/4 inch.

So....keep out 5 MM current rule, create a class that runs them at 90 a tire.

Lets go!

here's the link
    installation
    Last edited by Do It Sidewayz; 03-25-2004, 01:30 AM.
    Chris
    Old School Motorsports

Thanks Chris, Real good info ... i guess to get the correct stud height you would have to use new tires right?

90 per tire does not sound like 30 per foot though ...
    Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
    Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
    Minden Kin Club Member
    District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
    Car Number 1
    sigpic

Comment

who cares??

if we are running separate. i think we will have decent grip if the studs are sticking out like a 1/4 inch.

would be very easy to check. just get a piece of 1/4 steel or aluminum plate, and drill a hole in it. If the stud sticks out past the plate..illegal.

I think if we follow that method, not too many people are going to be spitting out studs. Like that guy ground them right down, and they are still in there.

The 90 per tire....i think that is just about all you can get into a tire, using all the provided stud holes. there's no way we can get 30 per foot, unless you start drilling the tire.
      Chris
      Old School Motorsports

Comment

now....here's my thinking.

If we are going to make this class happen. it's going to open up another can of worms. It's gonna take everyone trying different tires, some will be good some will be bad. and if you wanna win your gonna have to try a pile of tires, could mean buying 2,3,4 sets of tires.

So....lets do this properly. Lets try and get a tire manufacturer involved. Let's make this a SPEC TIRE STREET STUD CLASS!

I'm sure that as a group, if we put together a proposal, someone will want to get involved.

now.....here's the tires i've found that might work.

Critera..have common sizes (13, 14, 15), and studdable obviously.

Kumho
        Powergrip 749 P
        Izen Stud KW-11

Goodyear
        Ultra Grip

Nokian
        Hakkapellita 4
        Hakkapelitta 2

Bridgestone
        WT-14

Winterforce
        Winterforce

Pirelli
        Winter 160S
        winter carving

Anyways.. there are probably more...but i'm lazy. And i think i got most of the big manufacturers. But as you can see...someone is just gonna keep trying these tires, until they find the fastest one. Stud placement and everything is critial, along with tread design. Obviously one or 2 tires will be faster than the rest. But lets make it a spec tire, so you can literally, buy the tires, mount them on rims, and go racing....No tractionizing, no bs. Put air in and go.
        Chris
        Old School Motorsports

Comment

I completely agree.

Pick a tire manufacturer, develop the rules, write 'em up, sign 'em up (racers that is), and it should be done.

Seriously, I think that what is needed is a rules proposal that can be given to big Dave, together with 18 racers committed to racing the class. Based on what he said earlier, that should do it.

Let's see what the response is. You may get some volunteers to help write the rules......
          Gary

Comment

It was already done last month as I recall and I have a copy of the new stud rules in front of me that have street stud at 5mm the same as all the others so they all run together. This was the change at the drivers meeting last February.
            "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
            "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

Comment

We Dont want to run with the other guys Dave!!!
              Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

Minden Kin Club Member
              Car Number 1
              sigpic

Comment

exactly. no way we wanna run with the other guys.

Street studs is more of a "stepping stone" from rubber to studs.
                Chris
                Old School Motorsports

Comment

Then why wasn't this brought up at the driver's meeting?

Comment

was actually brought up at the studded drivers meeting. but kinds got shot down. Basically none of the studded guys really wanted to run street studs.

I think it was more conversation between by uncle and Andy on the last day.

Now talking with a bunch of rubber drivers it looks like there might be a class.

No reason we can't make a class now, if we can get enough people to "enter" and make a rule set, we can maybe make print time for the rule book, or make an ammendment
                    Chris
                    Old School Motorsports

Comment

Dave

If you read the thread "Street stud class for 2005" ... You were all in favour of it then, and I explained the need for a seperate class in street studs.

A lot of people have done a lot of research here, and I'm sure they can come up with a formula for a rules package for your approval.

At the banquet, why don't you bring it up as an announcement and see how much interest is there ...

Minden Kin Club Member
                      Car Number 1
                      sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I am all for it. Anything to boost entries and competition. We can set up a seperate series. I just wanted to know why it was brought up now and not last month. Now I know why. Just remember this is not an easy task. The schedule has to be changed. We need enough competitors to run it. I have to have the approval of the organizers. I will bring it to them.

Comment

schedule....i don't think it's a big deal...Tom suggested spliting the stud races into 2 races at the meeting, and it got a decent appeal from the racers. just the stud class wasn't currently big enough.

enough competitors....for one....sign me up...i'll be there.

organizers...i'm sure that's a minor hurdle...although i'm not really sure why they would care. If there are enough entries, and potentially a sponsor...why not?
                          Chris
                          Old School Motorsports

Comment

I think I'll give street studs a try if they are a separate class,there should be lots of time to get a ruleset prepared.
                            A spec tire would be nice-if you pick a cheap one!

I just had an RX7 given to me with a bad engine,I would assume that the unlimited engine displacement rule from studs would carry into the street studs?

Comment

I don't think you would want to increase engine size for street studs, that would be like trying to polish your crystal with a stick of C4!

Minden Kin Club Member
                              Car Number 1
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X