when is a car too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when is a car too heavy?

So my dad is thinking of chucking the old VW out, it failed it's emission test and will cost more than its worth to fix

it served our family for the last 13 years @ 320,000km

i'm thinking, perfect for me, not only do I know how to work on this car inside and out but I also know it’s entire history from day 1, so no nasty surprises.

The only problem? It’s a 2000 MK4 Golf, which comes in at ~2750lb stock

Even if I do a complete ice-race diet on it, I can’t see it diving below 2300.

is this too heavy to be competitive?
    Last edited by thgear; 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM.
    set tire pressures to winning!

Re: when is a car too heavy?

I have seen large old American cars do well ice racing and seen Volvo wagon win a few races. The golf will be fine. In fact it will be less delicate then a ciic since contact between cars does happen usually not on purpose.
    Just call me "G"
    2000 Honda Insight
    2005 Mazda Miata

Comment

I say race it, if you are not happy with it, it still brings the same for scrap.
      Ice Racing SS4 #167
      Twin Lakes Motor Club

Comment

If you can't pick it up its too heavy

I say run it,whats the worst that can happen...you get hooked?.

Comment

Originally posted by max attack View Post
          If you can't pick it up its too heavy

I say run it,whats the worst that can happen...you get hooked?.
          the worst that can happen is that feeling of defeat when someone rockets away from you on a straight after you've caught up with them in a turn.

for me it's important to know whether I need development or if my car is dragging me down,

I have fun developing my skills, but i'm tired of being that "he's pretty fast in that bad car" guy.

having said that i'll probably do it anyway... because racecar!
          Last edited by thgear; 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

A well set-up/well driven heavy car will be better than poorly driven/ poorly set-up light car imo.Also depends on rubber or SS especially for the coming year as the new SS tire should work well for both light and heavy cars compared to last years tire that worked better on heavier cars imo.
            With rubber the tire choice/prep for thr conditions has more to do with it than the actual car.

Comment

Tires, Tires, Tires.
              All in the Tires.
              Heavy is relative - there has been lots of Golf / Rabbit combo's out there and the ones with the good drivers and Good Tires always run at the front.
              You know the car - Go For It !!!
              woodchips (Larry) Ice Racer 157.
              Sponsors-Thomas Contracting & Precision Tune-Brooklin

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
                the worst that can happen is that feeling of defeat when someone rockets away from you on a straight after you've caught up with them in a turn.
                i've been in such situation and tried to communicate that idea on a facebook but it seems way too complicated for some people to comprehend.

i'd buy what's proven. there was one or two late gen golfs racing for the last two years. they were always at the back of the pack.
                #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Originally posted by woodchips View Post
                  Heavy is relative - there has been lots of Golf / Rabbit combo's out there
                  first gen Rabbit weighs approx 1000 lbs less than mk4 golf.
                  #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                  #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Originally posted by max attack View Post
                    last years tire that worked better on heavier cars imo.
                    im sure you've got that impression because of running R13 tire that has much less studs and stupid stud pattern. i tried both R13 and R14 and the difference is huge.

my older post:

"btw, the difference between RC01 in R13 and R14 in terms of grip is huge. 15 more studs and 5 blank blocks of rubber vs. 11 make R14 much faster."
                    Last edited by andrey7474; 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM.
                    #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
                    #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Run it and enjoy the fun!

EVERYTHING is NOT ONLY about winning for most of us..

It is more about FUN and learning your racecraft

I have run last and first and enjoyed and learned from them both.

There are a lot of people that will help you, and make you feel welcome, EITHER as a back pack car or winning car.

If hot cars were so much better, how come 3 cylinders Justy's with a LOT less horseys do SOOO well!

If you want some guidance on prepping, I am sure all you have to do is ask.

Get her prepped, pick a class and come and have fun!!

Jus my 5 cents ( no cents anymore!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pappa168 View Post
                        If hot cars were so much better, how come 3 cylinders Justy's with a LOT less horseys do SOOO well!
                        um, the justy IS a hot car....

Comment

Andrey, ANY car has the potential to work in ice racing. When I first started I ran a 4wd Subaru XT6. That was a big and heavy car. It took me 4 years to learn how to drive it to its potential and I did pretty well with it. So to thegear I say bring your car out and you will eventually learn how to make it go fast. It may happen right away, it may not but you will still be having fun regardless.

Comment

hey Gear...

LISTEN to Hyundai.. He KNOWS of which he speaks.

Comment

Originally posted by andrey7474 View Post
                              im sure you've got that impression because of running R13 tire that has much less studs and stupid stud pattern. i tried both R13 and R14 and the difference is huge.

my older post:

"btw, the difference between RC01 in R13 and R14 in terms of grip is huge. 15 more studs and 5 blank blocks of rubber vs. 11 make R14 much faster."
                              Yes I know,had both 13" and 14".I also know the rc01 offered less grip overall but it seems to be a larger difference on lighter cars,same effect as on my car in 2012 once the dirt dulled the studs.

Comment

Working...
                              X