BR stud users please report after using this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BR stud users please report after using this season

I know the season was shortened but it was long enough to know if you like the different studs or not.

Weird season in many ways,weather and the lack of pretty much any action on this forum.

I ran our 2 cars with freshly built BR studded wallies,RC01 for the rears(proven to not be great at holding tsmi studs)the pair of black rocket tires and the pair of br studded wallies used in testing last yr.All glued using the permabond 731.

My personal findings on these combos were very very positive,no stud loss or growth and tires ready to continue next season.

The used pair from last yr were on the front of one of the cars every race and still perfect,the studs were leaning a slight amount so I reversed them as a durability test after the 2nd weekend.Straightened them up with no further movement,doing the same in a tsmi studded tire means much stud loss in a single race.

The black rocket tires were ran on Lisas car for a day or so then on Steve Manols K engine swapped civic hatch for the remainder of the season...liked them so much he still has them

I'll get pictures from him but the last time I inspected them they looked ok still with no stud loss,so nearly 2 seasons of use and still going without the need to use any of the spare pockets.

Now for my observations on br studded tires on a couple competitors cars.

Dan and Heathers festivas new tires weren't glued,they for sure grew by the end of the 1st weekend.The lack of seating time and glue is the difference,we put them on the rear for a weekend to seat them and now I think they will stay in place.

Jose in the super bunny had a problem on the 1st day with the inside front tire losing studs.His were built right with glue but without enough proper seating time,big time power and an LSD that wasn't actually LSD'ing the excessive inside tire spin exceeded what the studs could cope with.

I "think" he was ok for the remainder of the season with a driving style change but I'll let him speak up.

So please report your findings,for the SS numbers to return to their glory days we need to show that tire problems aren't the doom and gloom they once were.

Re: BR stud users please report after using this season

Here's my report on the BR studs this season in SS4:
    I used the BR studs in Sailun Ice Blazer tires. The studs were not glued in. Bedding in was only done on the caution laps prior to practice each week.
    The BR studs are showing a little bit of growth primarily on the front tires, very little on the rears. There is also a very small amount of lean in some of the studs on both front and rear. No studs missing as well.
    As I see it, the tires are in very good shape for next season(which is the point of using the BR studs) I'll just rotate them front to back.

Dan #67- SS4

Comment

The only BR stud i lost, was the one pulled after i came off the track checking for proper studs. Very Little lean on the fronts, none on the rear.
      These were the Wallies, with a decent amount of tread block around the stud.
      I didn't get a chance to run all the tires i built, as there were 2 i didn't glue, but used a petroleum lube to insert them.
      The tires run were glued with the Permabond as well.
      Same "seating" time as everyone else.
      I'm not convinced that seating time is essential when they're glued in place
      So far, these tires / studs are good for a very minimum of another year at the track.
      This was in SS4
      woodchips (Larry) Ice Racer 157.
      Sponsors-Tiremaster-Oshawa & Precision Tune-Brooklin

Comment

The only BR stud i lost, was the one pulled after i came off the track checking for proper studs. Very Little lean on the fronts, none on the rear.
        These were the Wallies, with a decent amount of tread block around the stud.
        I didn't get a chance to run all the tires i built, as there were 2 i didn't glue, but used a petroleum lube to insert them.
        The tires run were glued with the Permabond as well.
        Same "seating" time as everyone else.
        I'm not convinced that seating time is essential when they're glued in place
        So far, these tires / studs are good for a very minimum of another year at the track.
        This was in SS4
        woodchips (Larry) Ice Racer 157.
        Sponsors-Tiremaster-Oshawa & Precision Tune-Brooklin

Comment

My br studs were used in Uniroyal tiger paws, glued in
          the fronts started to lean a bit, so I moved them to the back after week 2 and put tsmi's on the front. I lost 1 of the rears on week 3 so I only have 1 tire that was on for the 5 days I raced. it is missing 1 stud and some studs look great, some have grown and are leaning. I installed the studs this year which was likely not a great idea, it could have been me. I had a re-stud tire that went on for 1 day and it looks good so far, but I will know more next year.
          Ice Racing SS4 #167
          Twin Lakes Motor Club

Comment

Thanks guys.

Seems to me the tire used,glue and the bedding in of the studs is still important but the br stud offers much improvement over the tsmi studs.

Comment

Tom
              Thanks for spending your knowledge, time and money to design the new stud. Greatly appreciated.

P.S. I cannot comment on durability as i drove the new tires for one weekend and haven't check them after.
              #53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
              #53 Toyota MR2

Comment

Working...
              X