Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting Ice Racers

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of trying ice racing this year and was wondering how to get the ice racer vehicle up to Minden. Do you drive it up? Or have it towed up? If I have to drive it up and am buying a $500 car, then I would need to licence it, insure it and safety test it right?

Thanks for your help!

Pretty much everyone tows them up,tow bar or dolly works fine and can be towed by a relatively small vehicle.Also rented from say u-haul pretty cheaply-much cheaper than licensing and insuring a car that will be a little banged up(ok maybe alot) by seasons end.
    The beauty of ice racing is that the cars can stay right on site for the season.

Comment

so what do you guys do with the cars after the season?

Comment

Also, I have no experience in buying a car that won't be driven on the road. So sorry if this question is kinda dumb. If I don't have the car certified how do I get the ownership transferred to my name? Or do I need to?

Comment

Car Storage

For a nominal fee Tom Prentice of the Minden Kinsmen will allow competitors to store their vehicles on his property during summer months. Traditionaly all vehicles must be removed from the venue in Minden within a two week period after the last race has run.

Because Ice racers are not deemed street legal, the official change of ownership is not nessessary.
          Ice Racing will always be a Black art! So ... In order to finish first, ... first you must Finish!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
          Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
          Minden Kin Club Member
          District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
          Car Number 1
          sigpic

Comment

I rent from U-Haul a trailer which is $50 for 24 hours which I make two trips for two cars. I have the race tires on so I don't want to driver them there and they are not legal for the road and who knows where the ownerships are.
            "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
            "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

Comment

If you really wanted to pay the taxes, you could transfer the ownership as an "unplated" car. Same thing as if you buy a car as is and need some time to get it up to snuff to certify. I think most non-street driven cars don't have their ownership transferred though.

I remember hearing in real life or reading on another message board or kah magazine that there was someone who sold his race or show kah, then it was bought and sold and bought and sold and bought and sold, then he looked for his old kah and bought it back. It turned out that nobody bothered to transfer the ownership, so the kah was still in his name. Heh.
              George D

Comment

I think the legalities of ownership transfer are still important if you are the seller. I have received legal advice in the past that until the registered owner is updated in the government's records, the seller may also be found liable in the event of a claim, even if the car is not driven on a public road etc., the seller was not driving the car and so on.

Comment

Is there an Ice Racing school/class prior to the season? If so where is it held and how do I get info about it? Also, since we are racing wheel-to-wheel on ice isn't it bound to have alot of contact? Also would the driving style be grip based or drift based, in the rubber class at least?

Sorry for all the questions everyone, just can't seem to find a page with all the info on it.

Cheers!

Comment

What we do is to have a rookie class during lunch break of the 1st weekend of the season(free).Basically you get an experienced driver to do a ride along(you can also ride along with him/her).
                    It takes awhile to get into the groove of ice racing,the brake zone is what catches new people most often-the braking area changes by the lap from being polished smooth.Trying to find the grippiest part of the track to use is the tough part,the guys with the most experience are generally the best at finding it(but not always )
                    This sport requires quite a bit of dicipline to keep from blowing threw the corner-slow in fast out is certainly the way to go.As for drift/grip based,you'll just need to find what works for you.For example Brian Rashleigh is a many time class/overall champ and he very rarely ever gets sideways,myself I'm not happy unless I'm balls to the wall late braking and backing into the corner with the throttle on etc. Of course I make the odd mistake from my somewhat controlled aggression
                    In the stud class you need to keep the amount of drift under control,to sideways and the rear wheels scrubbing actually slow you down.
                    You won't have any problems getting advice on set-up/driving as we all try and help each whenever needed,you can PM me if you have questions on what seems to work and what doesn't,some tire choices etc.

Comment

Re: Car Storage

Originally posted by Champ98

Because Ice racers are not deemed street legal, the official change of ownership is not nessessary.
                      Try telling that to the cop that has you pulled over, trying to determine if you are transporting a stolen car. Granted, most ice racers I've seen are far from mint condition, but still, I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that it's in my name. And yes, you can get the ownership transferred as 'unfit' and 'unplated'.

Tom
                      Red Pepper Racing

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X