Ruling on grinding down Studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruling on grinding down Studs

Now that we have gone with a 5mm stud as opposed to last years 7mm stud, some of you are grinding down the stud instead of just tightening the stud.

When grinding the v-shape groove seems to almost be eliminated. Some have suggested to re-slot this groove. Yes that can be done on existing groove. You CANNOT create a new groove in the stud causing a cross pattern.

Please ensure your studs conform to existing rules.

Thanks.
    "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
    "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

Thanks Dave

Let the die-grinding begin!!!

Tony
    "Got a Dent or a Ding? Give us a Ring"
    Auto Cosmetic.Com- Your #1 choice in Paintless Dent Removal
    Lease coming due?
    Save hundreds in repair costs- we fix the dents without bodywork or repainting!
    416 948 4554
    Mississauga, Vaughn and Scarborough locations

Comment

thanks......gotta tell em to break out the dremel!....

oh yeah.....whoever isn't grinding down..and thinks they can tighten them.. Good luck..
      Chris
      Old School Motorsports

Comment

grinding studs

At the driver's meeting,I asked how I can grind studs.I also asked if I can put criss-cross on them.
        Steve next to me replyed "You are modyfying studs anyway,so you can grind any way you want."
        Dave,you did not deny it.
        Some of us already put cross grooves on them.
        You can't back out now.
        Kiyo
        Car #125

Comment

You know I really don't care. You can put smiley faces in them for all I care. Grind them down, shave them cut them in half. Do whatever you want as long as they are not more than 5mm in length.

In less than 4 years they'll all be gone anyways.

Comment

Ok...Dave...

So are we going by what the tech guys said last night, which is only grinding the slot deeper???

or what you just said and basically do whatever the fook we want??
            Chris
            Old School Motorsports

Comment

the problem i see it is this.

The studs are made my different manufactures...Most people seem to be using the studs from Gianni, or Holiday Racing.

Now....theoretically....either of them will a speced drawing of the screws so they could be made.

So..if you took even a screw that has been ground down to 5 MM...and their spec sheet says 7MM....in theory the stud has been modified.....so where does the slippery slope stop?? how much can you modify??

Now...first weekend...we KNOW there will be a stud check...it's the first weekend of a new stud rule....someone will check to make sure everyone is at 5 MM....and those who were at 24 a foot are now down to 18... OK...that's fine!!!!

but...if i grind down the slot 2 MM...you grind down 3 mm....Tony grinds down 4 MM, and Kiyo grinds down 5 mm..who is right?? where do we have to stop??

then what happens if someone who was at the meeting, but not online shows up with a second grove cut in them???

If we want to only grind the slot deeper...OK..that's fine, we need to publish an ammendment...with diagrams even.....say we are only allowed to grind the slot down to the depth which they came stock (3 mm or so below the top of the stud).

Unfortunately....we need something in writing....because "Dave said i could do this on an internet message board means nothing when we get DQ'ed then appeal it"
              Chris
              Old School Motorsports

Comment

Well according to Steve you can and I have to admit I missed that part of the meeting so this will be the last statement from me about studs, grind them down so that they do not exceed 5mm. Make nice little designs anyway you want in the metal, cross hair them, drill holes in them. Just follow what the rules state.

Make sure they do not exceed 5mm.

They'll be gone soon anyway.

Comment

ok...nevermind.....

4 point studs here we come

anyone need to buy a dremel?? i heard they might be in high demand at the track.

crap might hit the fan when the people not on this board show up, without fancy modified studs.

I declare 2005 the season of "open studs".....no way 2006 will be the same.
                  Last edited by Do It Sidewayz; 01-12-2005, 07:38 PM.
                  Chris
                  Old School Motorsports

Comment

oh yeah....sorry to anyone who purchased Menards....
                    Chris
                    Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Crusher45
                      You know I really don't care. You can put smiley faces in them for all I care. Grind them down, shave them cut them in half. Do whatever you want as long as they are not more than 5mm in length.

In less than 4 years they'll all be gone anyways.
                      End of the World coming Dave??

But seriously- Better make an "official" ruling very soon- by say tomorrow.

Guys are standing by with die grinders in hand just waiting to cut all kinds of slots and smiley faces into their studs. it will make a huge difference in how they grip and rip up the ice. I recall last year the ruling was a screw can be resharpened and the original slot can be cut deeper, but no extra grooves/slots can be added.

For ice preservation this seems like it should remain the rule. That is why we went down to a 5mm screw height. If we now allow more slots to be cut in the screws the ice will get ripped up even more, and then what was the point of decreasing the screw height?

How do you like being ice race director now Dave??

And the season hasnt even started yet!!

Woo Hoo!!

Tony
                      "Got a Dent or a Ding? Give us a Ring"
                      Auto Cosmetic.Com- Your #1 choice in Paintless Dent Removal
                      Lease coming due?
                      Save hundreds in repair costs- we fix the dents without bodywork or repainting!
                      416 948 4554
                      Mississauga, Vaughn and Scarborough locations

Comment

I said I would not write anymore but here goes (with my rule book in hand). The new rule is in section 2.07 f) "Previously installed screws may be ground down to attain the 5mm height without being deemed modified."

Sounds straight forward to me.

As for the meeting I did not hear of a motion to change the end pattern of the screw. And to this point I would think according to what I read if you grind down the head and the slot becomes almost invisible so be it. No where do I read you can increase the slot depth in the ground down screw. I conversed with George McCullough last night and he was aggreable to let the slot remain. After reading all this I am now opposed to allowing the slot to be re-depth into the screw. BUT I will abide by those who know more than me and allowed the srew to be v-grooved in the existing groove only.

Also Sharon Feeny is the Series Scrutineer this will ensure that each and every weekend will remain the same in the Tech world.

If you need more changes to the rule book please bring them up at the next driver's meeting.

Thanks.

And none of these in the end of the screws

Comment

ok......scratch the open stud comment....
                          Chris
                          Old School Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz
                            ok......scratch the open stud comment....
                            And where should I scratch it????

Comment

anywhere you want....it's one of them scratch and sniff posts
                              Chris
                              Old School Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                              X