ice race rookie...what a hoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice race rookie...what a hoot!

Thanks folks...for not running us over!!

I did my first race on Saturday in the 'vette (aka smuf'vette) and loved it.

We may have the slowest car in RWD but I still get a laugh out of keeping up to (sometimes closing in on) the AWD cars through the turns...even had an opportunity to wave hi to one you AWD'ers!

You can identify our car by the blindingly quick starts we do. Yes, when the rest of the grid has reached the first turn we are still spinning the rear wheels, with 0% throttle, at the line. Idle is all it takes!!
    Time for some ballast me thinks

We thought the racing stripes would make it quick, what a myth that turned out to be

Can't wait until next time!!

Oh yeah, what kind of speeds do you class1 guys/gals hit down the straight? We eventually reach 60km/h before the binders come on.

Cheers,
    Tashko
    www.spda-online.ca
    sigpic

Glad you had fun

ICE
    IF IT AIN'T SIDEWAYS IT AIN'T RACIN
    ICE

Comment

Re: ice race rookie...what a hoot!

Originally posted by Tashko

Oh yeah, what kind of speeds do you class1 guys/gals hit down the straight? We eventually reach 60km/h before the binders come on.

i cant answer for class 1 cars, but our class 2/12 Rabbit does 95 kmh and my studded Mazda GTX hits 120 kmh.

Sounds like your going to have to pedal a little faster Tashko!!

Tony
      "Got a Dent or a Ding? Give us a Ring"
      Auto Cosmetic.Com- Your #1 choice in Paintless Dent Removal
      Lease coming due?
      Save hundreds in repair costs- we fix the dents without bodywork or repainting!
      416 948 4554
      Mississauga, Vaughn and Scarborough locations

Comment

Thanks folks...for not running us over!!
        It's easy not to run you over when you drive as predictably as you did. I'm sure that last year I must have gotten in a few peoples ways when I was going down a lap. Even if you weren't fast, you at least didn't piss anybody off!
        Andrew Vernon -#181
        1986 MR2 - (spinning out in a race near you)
        1989 All-Trac - (on sabbatical)

Comment

i think i saw 107 KPH at the end of the straight ...but that's a class 4 rubber car. I think after studs i prolly went faster...but i wasn't paying too much attention to the speedo.
          Chris
          Old School Motorsports

Comment

Wow, you guys are throwing around some big numbers. The fastest I've ever seen in my CRX is about 85 kph. Todd McCall said they had a radar gun out the first weekend and the fastest they say in the FWD rubber cars was 76 kph I think.

JT
            "...and another thing, when I gun the engine, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" ---Homer Simpson

Comment

Ok, to stop the big fish stories I will try and remember to bring my radar gun out this weekend. Yes, the one I use for CASCAR in pit lane. We will see what each class does at the end of the straight.
              "Love thine enemies, it scares the hell out of them"
              "You never have enough gas until you're on fire!" Ken Schrader NSCS

Comment

Usually 70 to 80 KMH on good days but after stud race on cold days first lap can be up around 90 to 100 kmh in a locked diff RWD
                sigpic SACEWE!!!
                Minden House, S/\Ctionizer
                Car #24

Comment

I've got in car video footage showing 110 kph, Class 1 Rubber to ice '79 Rear drive Corolla locked diff...7500 Rpm 2nd gear!!! Remember those days Scott?

Comment

Where are ya Wilde16?
                    Come on out and play....what happened to the beast?

And don't encourage Scott and those locked diffs. He has become
                    milder and gentler, now that he has an open diff....He's more sophisticated and worldy...

Terry

Comment

I'm still here, watching from the wings.
                      I scrapped the beast a year ago, the front crossmember fell off the subframe. Wrecking yard must have wondered what they were crushing with all the rollcage tubing and the concrete filled fenders.
                      I kept three sets of wheels hoping to get another Toyota...MR2 maybe? Rick C. and I are planning to come up one weekend.

Comment

Ha Ha "Those Days"..... actually some of them are tough to remember! What I do remember (and very fondly too) the one time I got to race your Corolla, Man what a sweet beast!!! Thanks again for loaning it.

Ya u an Cruiser should come this weekend it is of course the DAC/SAC weekend with way too much fun at the Cliffe.
                        sigpic SACEWE!!!
                        Minden House, S/\Ctionizer
                        Car #24

Comment

Working...
                        X