Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its Spring!! Racing Season's Getting Closer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Spring!! Racing Season's Getting Closer!!

This car was built by Ottawa's Stu Trudel back in the 70's and was based on an Austin America. He built a 1293cc Cooper 'S' motor; installed a SC gear transmission with a LSD; made aluminum doors, trunk and hood; put on 4 wheel disc brakes with a rear solid beam axle; had coil overs at the rear and a trick front suspension replacing the original liquid 'Hydrolastic'; and a whole lot more. He then raced it in regional races in Ontario and Quebec and fooled a lot of people with how fast it was.

Fast forward to 1991 and my son Rob wanted to go racing. He drove by a car in Ottawa's east end one day that seemed derelict on a gas station lot. Turned out it was Stu's old America and Rob had to have it. We rebuilt it in my shop - The Old Car Factory - and off he/we went. Had a couple of excellent years with it then it languished in his garage as he got married and started to raise a family. He sold it, it has been refurbished and is still in the region to the best of my knowledge.

One interesting story about it - I was the Chief Steward for CART's Indy Lights Program in the late 90's and the Monday after the Long Beach race, a bunch of us were invited to Gary Donahoe's wedding in Newport Beach on a converted PT Boat (Gary was Dan Gurney's Team Manager prior to coming in as the Lights Series Manager). Gary introduced me to a fellow Canadian who was running the Judd engine program in North America. We chatted and he shared that he had been the Crew Chief for Claude Gou's Datsun 510 in Quebec Region and he remembered racing against a very fast Austin America - sometimes beating it, sometimes it beating them. I shook my head and told him that very car was actually in my son's garage at that very moment! Small world!!
    Attached Files
    2017/18Pres-Ottawa SportsCar Club
    CASC since'63(St.LAC,TSOA,MCO)
    Certified Technician310G,S,T+717B

Re: Its Spring!! Racing Season's Getting Closer!!

Rob Dale's Race Team

Austin America GT3 at Mosport circa 1994.

L to R - Cam Tomlinson, Rob Dale, T. Dale, Tim Dale
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Its Spring!! Racing Season's Getting Closer!!

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/oth...01898941ss.htm

Comment

Working...
      X