2021 CASC Race Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 CASC Race Regulations

The DRAFT of the 2021 CASC Race Regulations have been posted.
    https://www.casc.on.ca/road-racing/rules

At the end of the Race Regs is a short description of the changes. Here are a few highlights:
    • The SA2010/SAH2010 helmets will be accepted until end of this year.
    • There were many technical updates for the Toyo Tire F1600 Championship - see Appendix O Section C.
    • The jump start penalty was updated to 2 positions in class.
    • Appendix H - Flags and Light Signals now also lists the boards that may be shown by the Starter (such as Last Lap).
    • There is a points bonus for drivers who compete at more than one of the three CASC circuits. This is intended to encourage drivers to attend other circuits away from their home track.

If there are questions, suggestions, or feedback, contact Race Director Ray Arlauskas, or let me know and I can pass it by him.

The forecast to publish the final, official regs would be March.
    Richard Muise
    2003-present:GT-D/4/5;FWD Ice Racer
    2010-present:Clerk of the Course/IMSA Scrutineer/Steward
    President, Ottawa SportsCar Club

I just read the rule changes.

A part you missed to point out is the plan to restrict Pirelli money to only those that obtain 120 points minimum. I fail to see the purpose or benefit to this restriction.

2020 paid out to about 20 drivers total. A few of those were not on Pirelli tires as their sizes were not available.

This new restriction would have meant 3-4 drivers last year would not have received money despite having bought Pirelli tires and attending races.

The money not being paid to those drivers would be distributed to the other drivers. So typically the top 3-4 drivers only.

Why penalize drivers that are not able to run at the front of a class?

sigpic
    Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Doug, thank you for reading through the changes. Feedback from the competitors is very important, and listening to what they have to say is part of the rule change mechanisms. Feedback from competitors and teams and volunteers & officials drive changes to the rules.

Just to clarify, there were no changes to the process for the Pirelli Tire prize fund. Only an effort to try to clarify the language to make it easier to understand.

2018, 2019, and 2020 Race Regs, Appendix P, Section 7.7.1, final paragraph:
      If a competitor competed in less than 3 championship weekends and finished in any position with 119 points the earning would be $0 as the competitor did not achieve any of the minimum requirements which are competing in 3 championship weekends or achieving more than 120 points.

2021 Race Regs (DRAFT), Appendix P, Section 7.7.1, first paragraph:
      To be eligible to receive a payout from the PIRELLI Tire Year End Fund, drivers must compete in a minimum of 3 events, and accumulate a minimum of 120 championship points.

The intent was to pull the wording about requirements out of the examples, and make it clear at the start of the section.

I think you have a good point about the requirement for 120 points, minimum. Some classes that meant the top 5 drivers. In other classes, no one (even the class champion) received enough points to qualify. I'll pass on the feedback.

PS: In 2020, the Pirelli Tire prize fund sent out around $27,000 in cheques to CASC-OR racers. Not sure if that was well known to the broader racer audience.
      Last edited by Richard Muise; 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM.
      Richard Muise

Comment

Previous rules were and either or statement. New rule makes it a requirement for both conditions so more restrictive. The question remains as to why any driver that has bought tires and entered the Pirelli series would be excluded at all. What is the reason? The sponsors money is spent anyway, just moved to the top drivers again. I would think that a back marker driver would be demotivated to buy new Pirellis if he has no chance for any winnings.

I also do not understand the purpose of awarding additional points to drivers attending multiple tracks. The top drivers are already running multiple tracks and most events. In previous years it has been shown that drivers are attending all they can based on individual budgets. I would expect all this rule will do is give more points to the top drivers in each class and widen the gap to others.
        sigpic
        Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

The official 2021 CASC-OR Race Regulations have been posted. Apologies about the lateness. There were a few changes from the DRAFT versions, mostly around the Race Licensing details.

https://www.casc.on.ca/road-racing/rules
          Richard Muise

Comment

Working...
          X