Speeds on a long straight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeds on a long straight?

Still playing around getting my car ready to try SoloSprint. In order to help me decide on appropriate gear ratios I'm wondering what sort of speeds you guys get on the front straight at TMP. For example, I would easily get 160km/hr in my z28 at that track. If you could tell me the speed you get and the car you drive, it would be very helpful. The idea here is to try to set the car up so that I will not easily be run over.

Re: Speeds on a long straight?

I don't think you'll have any issues with gear ratios on the smaller tracks (as far as maxing them out). I'm not sure about TMP, but we do have a list of speeds from a radar gun for Fabi at SMP. It's on the SoloOntario web site. Here is a direct link: http://www.soloontario.com/events/20...29/SPEED01.TXT

The biggest track we run on is Mosport, and that is where you might run out of revs ... the faster cars typically hit between 200-230kph. I get about 200-210 with my M3, 3:15 gears, and I have more to go (just no power to get there ). Hope that helps!
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

My car will tach out at 6000 rpm on the straight at MIR so that's about 135 - 140 mph.

Comment

Good info guys.

Looks like I could benefit with 4:1 range gear set, and I may go there, but I can run in the 140 km range as is, so maybe I'll hold off making any change and see how things work out. I can get to 140 in very short order so that gives an advantage.

Comment

Gearing for the straights is not the only concern. Many of these tracks require numerous shifts per lap, which means that tailoring you diff ratio to the infield is more advantageous than fine-tuning straight-line top end.
          Chris Atkins
          Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
          07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
          91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris91GT View Post
            Gearing for the straights is not the only concern. Many of these tracks require numerous shifts per lap, which means that tailoring you diff ratio to the infield is more advantageous than fine-tuning straight-line top end.
            My car doesn't shift so that isn't an issue, but I can certainly see where getting in and out of corners optimally would be very advantageous. I'll leave things alone for now and see how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Janny View Post
              My car doesn't shift so that isn't an issue, but I can certainly see where getting in and out of corners optimally would be very advantageous.

If your car is an automatic you can downshift drom D to 2nd. w/out problems during braking for a corner; just give it a shot of gas right after you make the shift and everything will mesh OK.

It takes a bit of practice because the amount of revs you have to give it varies with the speed of the car but it's easier to get it right at higher speeds - just don't peg the tach..lol.

It's worth working on though because keeping the revs up allows you to maintain throttle control and keep the motor in the power band so that it has some stick when you come off the corner as opposed to freewheeling around which is what happens with an automatic when you let the revs drop off.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                If your car is an automatic you can downshift drom D to 2nd. w/out problems during braking for a corner;
                I've got CVT. No gears to shift at all. Just mash on the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Janny View Post
                  I've got CVT. No gears to shift at all. Just mash on the throttle.
                  I'm guessing that's not in the Z28 referred to in the first post..lol

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                    I'm guessing that's not in the Z28 referred to in the first post..lol
                    You're right.

I started out planning to do this sort of thing with the z28 when I bought it back in 1998. I just really got into the modding thing and before I knew it, I had more than 30K tied up. I'm a cheap SOB and the thought of wadding up 30K and tossing it in the trash bin became too much to bear. Also, the cost of running the z28 was pretty high. So, in contemplating what had become of my ambitions to play at racing and contrasting that to reality that came to be, and giving consideration to the key principles of going fast, I decided to start again with a Formula 500 car. It weighs less than 1000 lbs with me in it. It goes like a little devil. It handles like it's on rails (when I get it set up properly). And most important of all, IT'S CHEAP!

Comment

Christian Sorensen GT1 96 BMW328is Time:76.914 Speed:166
                      Riaan Van Vuuren SGT2 03 FordMustang Time:77.430 Speed:192

I think that says it all. Top speed down a straight might make up for some time lost in the corners, but fast corners usually win the race.

Comment

Originally posted by DasVW View Post
                        Christian Sorensen GT1 96 BMW328is Time:76.914 Speed:166
                        Riaan Van Vuuren SGT2 03 FordMustang Time:77.430 Speed:192

I think that says it all. Top speed down a straight might make up for some time lost in the corners, but fast corners usually win the race.
                        i dont remember us having a radar at TMP

isnt that the Shannonville times?

cuz if i hit 5th gear at TMP while i never got out of 4th at Shannonville, i'm sure Riaan broke 200 easy at TMP
                        set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

I'm faster down Fabi then at TMP...
                          Chris Atkins
                          Member of the Road Course Mustang Brotherhood (1/2/2007)

06 Mustang GT (SGT3)
                          07 Mazdaspeed3

(FOR SALE)
                          91 Mustang GT SGT2

Gone to oil country!

Comment

Working...
                          X