Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel spacers and/or wheel adapters. Are they free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel spacers and/or wheel adapters. Are they free?

... unless the tire protrudes, etc.

Re: Wheel spacers and/or wheel adapters. Are they free?

Off hand Craig, I can't see why considering that we have no limits on wheels. Just remember to take the PIPs if they protrude beyond the fender (or take the PIPs for fender mods to cover your new wider track)
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Your second sentence seems to contradict your first?

Comment

Originally posted by craig View Post
        I think Dave meant "Why not" .... Yes, they are free.
        Arek Wojciechowski
        8legs Racing, SPC #77
        http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by craig View Post
          You can have 12" diameter rims or 22" diameter rims. You can have 5" wide rims or 12" wide rims, we don't care just as long as they don't stick out beyond the fender in which case you will incur pips.

We don't care about the rims but we do care about the car's track width.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
            We don't care about the rims but we do care about the car's track width.
            Uh... isn't that contradicting? by changing offset i can change my track width, no?

Seems like a suitable thread to ask:

Has anybody ever used spacers and can post qualitative or quantitative reviews? prices?

Comment

word of caution

generaly a wrong offset wheel for your car either by defult or through use of spacers will destroy your wheel bearings at an exponential rate relative to OEM longevity....

having said that, H&R makes decent spacers.
              set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMatt View Post
                Uh... isn't that contradicting? by changing offset i can change my track width, no?

Seems like a suitable thread to ask:

Has anybody ever used spacers and can post qualitative or quantitative reviews? prices?
                You can use wheels that are wide enough to place the tire at the fender's edge (some cars come that way) or you can use spacers to widen the track to that same level. We are prepared to live with that. OTOH if you go further than the fender, you have to pay PIPs or if you widen the fender to cover your new widened track you have to pay PIPS. It is the same result in the end although likely better aero with the widened fenders.

Comment

I have just has a conversation with our Chief Scrutineer who wants to make it perfectly clear that all drivers hoping to use wheel spacers need to make sure their studs are of an appropriate length i.e they stick out beyond the end of the threaded portion of their wheel nuts. A car that does not have appropriate length studs for the spacers used will not be allowed to run for obvious safety reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                    I have just has a conversation with our Chief Scrutineer who wants to make it perfectly clear that all drivers hoping to use wheel spacers need to make sure their studs are of an appropriate length i.e they stick out beyond the end of the threaded portion of their wheel nuts. A car that does not have appropriate length studs for the spacers used will not be allowed to run for obvious safety reasons.
                    For additional safety reasons, the spacer should be of the type where it is bolted directly to the hub and then the wheel to the spacer. Both sets of nuts are then torqued to the their specified ratings.
                    Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
                    Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
                    Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck91GT View Post
                      For additional safety reasons, the spacer should be of the type where it is bolted directly to the hub and then the wheel to the spacer. Both sets of nuts are then torqued to the their specified ratings.
                      i think thats hardly necessary for the typical 3-10mm spacers

now if were talkinga bout 20-30mm that would be different.
                      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
                        i think thats hardly necessary for the typical 3-10mm spacers

now if were talkinga bout 20-30mm that would be different.
                        Agreed. Most smaller spacers can't be bolted. However, try at least to use hub-centric ones, with the correct bolt pattern ... not those generic ones with the giant holes that fit all cars
                        Arek Wojciechowski
                        8legs Racing, SPC #77
                        http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

10mm would be a lot for a slip on spacer. I would not suggest anything over 6mm (1/4"). Are there many vehicles that even have a hub that's >10mm?

Comment

For 1/4 to 3/8 inch spacer--- hub-centric ones, with the correct bolt pattern .. you need 6 complete turns of the nut for correct mounting. or you will need longer studs.
                            Last edited by DECH_92; 02-23-2007, 09:14 AM.
                            1987 DECH MUSTANG
                            1999 SI Civic
                            BMW Trillium Club
                            Birel Rotax Supplier

Greg

Comment

I didn't really want to go to longer studs on all wheels, though it would have worked out to about the same price. So T&N Dynamic machined the bolt holes slightly wider in my wheels so that I could use Toyota-style lugs that "countersink" (Thanks for the tip, Pete! Pete @ Marcor can get these for you.) Cost about $75 a set of four wheels IIRC.

Gives you about three extra turns of engagement vs. standard lugs whose threads stop at the cones.

T N Dynamic
                              Machining & Engineering Co.
                              1104 Fewster Drive #20
                              Mississauga, ON
                              L4W 2V7
                              (905)625-9745

(Near Dixie and Eglinton in Mississauga)

But if it's a track car only, go for studs!
                              sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                              OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Working...
                              X