Classify this car... <grin>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classify this car... <grin>

I took that picture at One Lap 1998. The car was disqualified.

Specs:
    0-60 in under 3.0 seconds
    1/4 mile under 10 seconds @ 150+ mph
    Top speed over 200mph
    Braking @ 1G
    Cornering @ 1G

That's just with the smallest motor and street tires. It can threshold brake in the middle of a corner without changing the balance of the car.

http://www.vigillante.com/

If there was a class for one of these, I'd enter it.

Is that one of those Motorcycle deals.
    Had a close look at one at St. Eustache 2 years ago but the one there did not have the full body kit.

Comment

I classify it as ugly. 1G in the corners?? is that possible with a trike design??

J.McCreery

Comment

Yep, the moment of polar inertia is 66% of the rear wheels. Go to the web site and read the review of the car. A few things which I remember (and I swear I haven't read it in months):

"acceleration is startling"
        "tends towards oversteer instead of understeer"
        "unbelievable braking"
        "faster with less fuss than you could believe possible"

I think it's classified as a motorcycle, but it has A/C and seats two.

The one that showed up for One Lap had a supercharged motor cranking out almost 850hp and Brock Yates had a ride in it. His words: "that @#$@king thing is going to kill somebody, I've been in a real F1 car and it wasn't that fast".

Comment

I have to wonder what kind of transmission is that light weight and can handle that much power. It also has to be compact by the looks of it. The only one I can think of is a Cadillac/ Toronado tranny from the late 60's early 70's big block caddies/ olds. Not compact , but able to handle the Tq and hoprsepower. it's not a porsche unit by the looks of it. Has to be a FWD unit.

J.McCreery

Comment

Dunno. The one pictured was definitely a 8 second car on street tires. When it had Brock in the rear seat, they went by the hotel (where the One Lap competitors were partying) and the acceleration was extremely obvious. Ever seen Klaus Bytzek's cars at full chat? Think "lots faster".

Comment

Working...
            X