Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: Asp.NET developer for the CCDB

Hey All,

I will not have any time next year to work with the CCDB (online car classification database). So, in order to prevent panic come next spring, I would like to transfer this application to a new custodian NOW, and assist in the transition over the winter. Here is the skillsset required for the current version of the application:

- asp.net 2.0
    - ajax.net
    - SQL server 2005 (tables and stored procedures in T-SQL)
    - some javascript, html, etc.

So, all you geeks out there ... speak up! This is NOT an option ... a replacement must be found, and the sooner, the better it will be for everyone! Of course it can be re-writtent in whatever language you like, but I can't help with that
    Arek Wojciechowski
    8legs Racing, SPC #77
    http://www.8legsRacing.com

Re: WANTED: Asp.NET developer for the CCDB

Your listed skill set is pretty much me in a nutshell... especially the geek part. What exactly does this entail?

Comment

Well, at this point ... nothing. It's up and running, with zero maintenance. The biggest task will be to update the system to include event registration (it's almost there ... needs a bit more work). The other part of it is the work required AT the events. Since we usually don't have a net connection at the track, the DB must be loaded onto a laptop, we classify a few cars at the track, then the DB is loaded back onto the server after the event. Not much to it, but it does require a bit of SQL Server knowledge.

If you're interrested and want to look at the system, I can send you the source code. Shoot me an e-mail, and we'll talk offline.

Will you be at the TMP event?
      Arek Wojciechowski
      8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

hmm... I dunno. I don't think I can commit to going out every week. I'm more of a server room, stay in one spot geek lol

Comment

Originally posted by drpepper View Post
          hmm... I dunno. I don't think I can commit to going out every week. I'm more of a server room, stay in one spot geek lol
          Well, YOU don't have to go out ... someone does A remote sync of some sort is not out of the question, either. This does not have to be a one man job either ... you stay in your cave and work on cool new features, while a cohort of yours represents at the track
          Arek Wojciechowski
          8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

Can said cohort also race at the track on those days?

I personally am so unorganized that I couldn't volunteer for this unless it is a team. I spent a year doing asp (not .net) development and it was ALL DB back-end. I will gladly help with troubleshooting, and if I can also race, I will help with track-day setups.

Has anyone had experience with internet access through a bluetooth connection to a cell phone? I would like to know how fast it is, it is likely enough that you wouldn't have to do the whole copy-modify-recopy thing... just a thought.

Comment

Do we get any fringe benefits for volunteering?
              GT Sprints/Challenge:
              #121 Golf - GT4
              #119 CRX - Sold

Comment

Abosultely, any competitor can run the CCDB in the mornings and race that day (I do it every weekend, and so does Ana with registration). Basically, the only reason we even need this at the track is for the straglers and walk-ins that didn't do it only previously.

If we could come up with a reliable solution for intenet connectivity at all the tracks, then the resync issue would go away, and all that would be needed is a laptop with IE on it to connect to the web site. CMP has a connection at the track that I have used (slow, but it works).
                Arek Wojciechowski
                8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMatt View Post
                  Has anyone had experience with internet access through a bluetooth connection to a cell phone?
                  Bluntly, it sucks. I find it difficult to make it work reliably, and when it does, it's horrendously slow.

Comment

Originally posted by 92tsiawd View Post
                    Do we get any fringe benefits for volunteering?
                    Yep, you get abused for doing a thankless job. People rarely get any acknowlendgement for their time and effort, just complaints when things go wrong or are not to certain individuals liking.

The volunteers typically do not get any real tangible benefits. A free dinner at the banquet possibly......

Volunteering to help out in something you are very passionate about is it's own reward, until the people mentioned above get to you. This is SoloSprint, so the people are very easy to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by tanney View Post
                      Yep, you get abused for doing a thankless job. People rarely get any acknowlendgement for their time and effort, just complaints when things go wrong or are not to certain individuals liking.

The volunteers typically do not get any real tangible benefits. A free dinner at the banquet possibly......

Volunteering to help out in something you are very passionate about is it's own reward, until the people mentioned above get to you. This is SoloSprint, so the people are very easy to deal with.

Lol ... Wes, you're making this a REALLY easy sell
                      Arek Wojciechowski
                      8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

Sorry, my honesty usually gets me in trouble.....

If someone asks me if it is a hard job, I can't bulls**t them, I lay it on the table....

The SoloSprint guys are a great bunch and most, although they may not say it, do appreciate the work that the volunteers put in.

Comment

Ok ... now that the racing season is almost over, time for this to become a SERIOUS matter. The system works now, but with noone to maintain, run, and upgrade it next year, not much SoloSprint cometition is going to happen! (Or you can all go back to paper and pencil for classification!)

Step up people ... this sport runs on volunteer sweat in addition to gasoline!
                          Arek Wojciechowski
                          8legs Racing, SPC #77

Comment

Hey Arek, I hope you have a backup of the source code somewhere other than on your laptop.