G2X data from 2007 Solosprint Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G2X data from 2007 Solosprint Nationals

Steve D. has generously granted permission for me to post G2X data I recorded from his Subaru STI during the morning dry session at Mosport during the Solosprint Nationals on Oct. 6.
    By clicking on "all sizes" the full resolution of the screenshot can be seen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4900720...7600286448766/

The speeds of his 3 hot laps are show (see right side of graph). The Lateral G-forces from both the accelerometer data and the GPS data are shown (See left of graph and see colors on the top for reference).

On the bottom table is the summary of results of Steve's 2 fastest laps. Lap 3 was his fastest and Lap 2 was his second fastest. But Lap 2 (red) had a higher minimum speed and a higher top speed, while lap 3 (blue) had an higher average speed. The main contributors causing lap 3 to have the best lap time can be seen by the significantly higher apex speeds of the blue line in corners 1 and 3. But a mis-shift visible as a delay in acceleration of the blue line caused the max speed up the back straight to be 2 km/hr slower then lap 2 shown in red.

Steve's theoretical fastest lap is 0.6 seconds faster then lap 3 (this data is not shown on this screenshot). This is calculated by adding the fastest segment of each of these 3 laps.

Please feel free to comment on any observations you may have from looking at this data. And post your own G2X data from the Solosprint Nationals here if you want to share it with the rest of us.
    Just call me "G"
    2000 Honda Insight
    2005 Mazda Miata

Re: G2X data from 2007 Solosprint Nationals

Even though mine was in the rain, would you be able to post it anyways please?
    --
    Chris De Freitas
    www.facebook.com/stagefourmotorsports

Comment

max lateral g of 1.59 for a street car is pretty crazy.
      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Cool stuff.

But I don't really agree with the fastest theoretical lap part. You could really cook a section and come in too fast to make the corner. That will show up as a fast sector time, but there is no way in reality you could make that sector time and not screw up the following corner.

I have to figure a way to plot my lap data.
        '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
          max lateral g of 1.59 for a street car is pretty crazy.
          Notice that those are spikes in the graph. In turn one, that's on exit where I'm probably hitting the dip on the inside right after the turtles.

For 5a though... that initial spike is all weight transfer trail braking at turn in with the incline in the track. You can see that it's repeated every lap. So if you assume that I can normally make a right hander at 1.2 constant G, weight transfer from trail braking can up that to over 1.5 for initial turn in.

Originally posted by dubya_rx
          But I don't really agree with the fastest theoretical lap part. You could really cook a section and come in too fast to make the corner. That will show up as a fast sector time, but there is no way in reality you could make that sector time and not screw up the following corner.
          I agree, but I like the piece of data anyway as something to shoot for. It CAN keep track of low and high apex speeds to help me put a full fast lap together. Since I picked up almost 2.0 seconds the next day, I obviously wasn't pushing limits on Saturday.
          sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
          OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Originally posted by dubya_rx View Post
            Cool stuff.
            But I don't really agree with the fastest theoretical lap part.
            I also agree with you, but since it takes the fastest of each segments it's a very good measure of consistency. Lap time consistency only gives an average of all the segment time's consistencies.

For example Avi admitted that he drives to the max and often comes into corners a little too hot causing him to miss apexes and fight the car to keep it on the track on the exit. But his lap times were within 0.1 and 0.2 seconds of each other so his story was not convincing. But the G2X data from the TMP solosprint showed that even though his 3 hot laps were within 0.2 seconds of each other his theoretical fastest lap time was 1.2 seconds faster
            I don't think he could have physically driven his car 1.2 seconds faster, but closer inspection comparing between the segment times of each lap showed that almost every segment time varied by 0.1 or even 0.2 seconds!
            So now I have evidence that his story is true.

Like you said you can gain 0.1 seconds in a corner segment by divebombing into the corner too hot. But it can cause a loss of 0.2 seconds for the next straight segment because of the slower exit out of the corner.
            Just call me "G"
            2000 Honda Insight
            2005 Mazda Miata

Comment

...oh god, i could see getting addicted to this thing really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMatt View Post
                ...oh god, i could see getting addicted to this thing really bad.
                Life is too short to re-invent the wheel and make your own version, just buy it
                Just call me "G"
                2000 Honda Insight
                2005 Mazda Miata

Comment

i know, i know... but i want to make one! I have a circuit board with programmable 32-bit Coldfire V1 processor and 3-axis accelerometer, and I have a pair of RS232 radios with a 20km range... In 6 hours of work I could have an accelerometer datalogger made.

Could you please post a download link for the raw data file? I'd love to see what it looks like. If I could emulate it...

Comment

Matt, PM sent.

Chris,
                    Here is a screenshot of the G2X data I recorded from your very wet session in the rain at Mosport. Note this is a Mazda Protege in T3 class so it's a little slow up the back straight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4900720...7600286448766/
                    Just call me "G"
                    2000 Honda Insight
                    2005 Mazda Miata

Comment

My first set of data that I saw of this unit for Miles, me and Wes driving took 5 hours of my life. Worst then crack!!
                      Now CrITical Inc.
                      Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

Working...
                      X