Q: rule book suspension mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: rule book suspension mods...

I'm considering some mods on my car for next year and looking for clarification in the following rule:
    4.9.2. SUSPENSION & RUNNING GEAR
    .7 Updating or backdating of suspension components is permitted provided all of the following conditions are met:
    i. the components installed come from the same model (but a different year)
    ii. the components are directly interchangeable without modification
    iii. the two model years have the same SUSP rating
    Question - My car came in various configurations over the years (shocks, sway bars, spring rates)... does this mean I can interchange these for "free" or only if they were available on different model years but not my model year? Or have I missed the point of this?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim - #115 - '07 Corvette Z51
    sigpic

Re: Q: rule book suspension mods...

Originally posted by gaspeddle View Post
    I'm considering some mods on my car for next year and looking for clarification in the following rule:
    4.9.2. SUSPENSION & RUNNING GEAR
    .7 Updating or backdating of suspension components is permitted provided all of the following conditions are met:
    i. the components installed come from the same model (but a different year)
    ii. the components are directly interchangeable without modification
    iii. the two model years have the same SUSP rating
    Question - My car came in various configurations over the years (shocks, sway bars, spring rates)... does this mean I can interchange these for "free" or only if they were available on different model years but not my model year? Or have I missed the point of this?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I think you can update or backdate from your model but the SUSP rating has to be the same......anyways why would you want to? The only option you have is backdating,your car is the best handling of the F-Bodies isn't it?

Comment

I'm thinking of upgrading my shocks - double adjustable Koni's were an option however single adjustable Koni's weren't on 4th gen's. If they were "free" I'd get the DA's and if they weren't, I'd get the SA's and not get so lost in the endless DA combinations (like I need more variables ).

Also 3rd gen F-bodies have more options for rear sway bars and rear shocks so maybe I can use them under the "different year" rule, but 3rd gen's are rated at 50% and 4th gen's at 60% - the rule says "the same" so I don't know if I took parts from a LOWER rated car (even though it's the same suspension) it would be allowed anyways.

Just looking for options before I do/buy anything... free is better than PIP... or I just might end up buying a king kong splitter and wing, some 18x10's with g-Force R1 and have Luca drive it LOL!
      Last edited by gaspeddle; 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking of upgrading my shocks - double adjustable Koni's were an option however single adjustable Koni's weren't on 4th gen's. If they were "free" I'd get the DA's and if they weren't, I'd get the SA's and not get so lost in the endless DA combinations (like I need more variables ).

Also 3rd gen F-bodies have more options for rear sway bars and rear shocks so maybe I can use them under the "different year" rule, but 3rd gen's are rated at 50% and 4th gen's at 60% - the rule says "the same" so I don't know if I took parts from a LOWER rated car (even though it's the same suspension) it would be allowed anyways.

Just looking for options before I do/buy anything... free is better than PIP... or I just might end up buying a king kong splitter and wing, some 18x10's with g-Force R1 and have Luca drive it LOL!
        Sway bar from a lower SUSP model would be allowed I would think.....I did nt know that adjustables were an option I thought all Zs and TAs came with deCarbons or Bilsteins both non adjustable I dont know what came on the Firehawks.

Comment

shhh!
          sigpic

Comment

Im on still on my stock 85000km flooded deCarbons.....time for adjustables

Comment

JIm, I am not sure when the Konis were included in the 1LE option but considering that the last time I looked GM doesn't have a part # for the DA Konis, I think you would have a tough time convincing people they were "stock". You also might trigger someone suggesting a model variant for 1LE cars
              Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

I'm pretty sure you're reaching a bit far here. The spirit of the rule is to bring a model up to the level of the best model that has the same SUSP. Mixing and matching parts from various models sounds a lot like tuning, and in fact, running smaller or bigger bars (say from a model ith LOWER SUSP) won't cut it. That to would be a "modification" since it's for the purpose of tuning the handling, not simply updating/backdating to a specific model.
                Arek Wojciechowski
                8legs Racing, SPC #77
                http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Face it Jim ... you're gonna be in SGT3 with the rest of us!!!!

Although, SGT3 could be a man down next year .....

..... but SGT2 may be gaining a rookie!!!
                  OMSC
                  Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                  Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Thanks Arek - just making sure... like I said free mods are better than PIP'd mods so it seems like a good place to start!

Pete - Who knows where I'll end up next year...
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Arek - just making sure... like I said free mods are better than PIP'd mods so it seems like a good place to start!

Pete - Who knows where I'll end up next year...
                      Yes, asking can sometimes yield an unexpected answer, so better ask if you're unsure!
                      Arek Wojciechowski
                      8legs Racing, SPC #77
                      http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Working...
                      X