Solo Sprint School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Sprint School

Being new to solo sprint this year and school fast approaching I have a few questions .Most importantly , I would have thought we would have recieved some sort of confirmation or sched as far as arrival time or itinerary for the 2 days . Is it possible an email was sent and I recieved it in my bulk box ?( I recieve a ton of junk every day and just quickly browse through ). Or has nothing been sent yet ? Also I will be coming to the school sporting 18s on my 02 WRX and I was wondering how hard the school will be on tires ? I am signed up for the school and first 2 events and was going to see if solo is what I'm hoping it is before I decide to invest in a second set of rims and some R compound tires . Any help and tips on what to bring and what to expect would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks John
    sigpic1999 Acura Integra
    # 699 SGT 1 OTA
    998 Miata Chumpcar

Re: Solo Sprint School

Hi John,

We haven't E-mailed out the welcome package yet because we haven't closed the school to new registrants. There's a couple of spots that we're still hoping to fill.

We'll want you at the Mosport DDT for 7:30 am to prep your car and register. The driver's meeting is at 8:30am, so if you need more time to prep your car, please get there with sufficient time to be calm and ready to go at 8:30.

Park around the skid pad circle, not down the rectangular parking area. That will be reserved for tarmac exercises and we'll just have to ask you to move.

I suggest that you top off your tank at one of the gas stations as you exit the highway, and bump up your front tire pressures at one of the gas stations to 45 lbs hot. If you're on a RWD vehicle, do Front and Rear to 45 lbs. You and your instructor can discuss what pressure to set it to before you go out on track, but it's a lot easier to bleed of pressure at the track then put it back in.

Please bring (necessities):

- Suntan Lotion
    - Hat for the sun, and appropriate clothing for the conditions
    - WATER. Three to four litres a day. Yes, for you!!
    - A full tank of gas, plus jerry cans if you have a guzzler
    - Helmet!!

HIGHLY suggested:

- Accurate Tire Pressure Gauge

Optional:

- Tarp to cover items you remove from your car in case of rain
    - Tire air pump to add pressure
    - Extra set of brake pads if you have some handy (Don't run out and buy any!)
    - Jack for your car

That's a start, and look for a package in your Email box in the next few days.
    sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
    OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Most track novices are not hard on their tires during the track school because they are too busy trying to drive the proper race line while practicing proper driving techniques.
      Just call me "G"
      2000 Honda Insight
      2005 Mazda Miata

Comment

Do a brake fluid flush before you go, and bring an extra bottle just incase.

Also do an oil change before you go, and bring some extra and check your oil every couple hours.

You may not burn much oil at the school, but it is good practice to do a quick oil check a few times a day when you're in a track atmosphere.
        --
        Chris De Freitas
        www.facebook.com/stagefourmotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Slowpoke View Post

Park around the skid pad circle, not down the rectangular parking area. That will be reserved for tarmac exercises and we'll just have to ask you to move.

During the weekend we will be using both the skid pad and rectangular parking lot areas. Parking can be done anywhere but WELL back from the tarmac. By far the safest area is just south of the skidpad on either side as cars should not be moving quickly through this area. Traditionally people who camp at the track tend to park and set up at the south end of the parking lot so if you do, make sure your tent is a long way from the pavement and any trailer you bring is not vulnerable.

During the weekend we may have to ask people to move their stuff from time to time.

Also note the the oval track will be having their opening night on Saturday so you may want to camp or stay on the west side of the parking lot.

There really is quite a lot of grass space to the west of the tarmac off the parking lot adjacent to the portable.
          Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...h&z=16&iwloc=A

We will be at the left most (west) of the four tracks.

Please pit as per Dave's instructions. Left (west) side of the light grey skid pad doughnut, left (west) side of the "black strip", well onto the grass.

The small white Portable building to the east of the track is the Portable where you will register and be in class for 8:30. Do not park on the right (east) side of the black strip unless you're willing to be moved at 5pmish or have hundreds of locals parking around your and walking by your stuff.

If you're camping, I recommend near the portable to the south, well off the asphalt.
            sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
            OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

If you are worried about tire wear, just keep your tires in mind. If you find your driving generates a lot of screaching, you are killing your tires. I mangled a set of tires at my first solosprint school. I blame my understeering pig of a hatchback. If you have expensive rubber on those 18s, just keep in mind: smooth is fast, slow in, fast out. That should save you a lot of tread wear.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNNYD View Post
                I am signed up for the school and first 2 events and was going to see if solo is what I'm hoping it is before I decide to invest in a second set of rims and some R compound tires.
                If you want to get out onto REAL race tracks, and push your car to its limits, free from the iron fist ruling of our government's new street racing laws, then chances are SoloSprint is the place for you . I did a 1 day track school in July/'05, and I've been hooked ever since .

Also, FWIW, I drove almost entirely on street tires until I figured out my level of involvement/commitment in this sport. R-comps are very worthwhile if you're going to seriously get into it. If you decide to do so, there are some killer deals to be had right now on Toyo RA1's!!

Originally posted by MazdaMatt View Post
                If you have expensive rubber on those 18s, just keep in mind: smooth is fast, slow in, fast out. That should save you a lot of tread wear.
                Who fed you that load of BS?! I prefer driving on the ragged, screeching edge!!!
                (... hmmm, maybe that explains why I've never come close to winning in my class??????? )
                OMSC
                Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Oh, he's driving a subaru.... SSSSCCCCRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Steve,
                    I don't know why google maps points to MIR incorrectly, but here is the actual google maps with mosport in the centre.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.032272&z=15

Will the gates be open Friday night for camping? I may decide to camp over Friday night instead of have a long drive Saturday morning.

-Walter
                    '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

Last year the gates were not open and I had to sleep in the back seat of the pickup truck. The previous year the gates were open and I was able to set up a tent. If any organizers have any sway, please get the gates opened for Friday night!

Comment

A Pickup truck? Luxury! (In your best British accent)
                        '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

You can always camp at the big track ... that will be open for sure.
                          Arek Wojciechowski
                          8legs Racing, SPC #77
                          http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Just an FYI regarding camping:

A couple of our club members will be going out to the DDT on Friday evening to do a little bit of prep/setup for Saturday morning, so the gates to the DDT should be open .
                            OMSC
                            Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                            Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Google Maps gets confused because Mosport is actually in Clarington, not Bowmanville.

Here's the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...29182&t=h&z=15

Comment

Working...
                              X