X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Barker
    replied
    Re: Intake/Exhaust authorized modifications

Andy, I believe in an NA car, headers and pipes count as 2 PIPs and I would suspect either/ or would be 2 pips but certainly not optimised. After all, headers with a constricting stock pipe wouldn't really be of as much benefit as a freer flowing system. Long tubes are really just the same thing and are 2 PIPs. Cat backs are also free.

Different issues with Turbos i.e there are pips for downpipes, up pipes, side pipes, exhaust and just about anything you do back there.

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Pete
    replied

Originally posted by ADAM View Post
    i had to claim the headers as well for my swap...and another point for the cat being gone....so thats +3..for what? I have a single pipe exhaust system..vs duals on any other Ls1 car.
    Nope! I have headers (2 PIPs) but I HAVE cats (0 PIPs) and I too, have a "single" exhaust, as does every other LT1/LS1 Camaro/Firebird .

Only Corvettes come FACTORY with true-dual exhaust. Hence the major power de-rating of F-bodies vs. Corvettes. Mucho sucko exhausto!

Leave a comment:

• ADAM
    replied

i had to claim the headers as well for my swap...and another point for the cat being gone....so thats +3..for what? I have a single pipe exhaust system..vs duals on any other Ls1 car

even though I have to do all that to get The LS1 to fit into the car..vs honda swaps will not have to take those extra 3 pips

its the way she goes....make them pay on the track!!!

Leave a comment:

• G-ForceJunkie
    replied

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
    Does that ^ ^ replace a system that has NO H-pipe or X-pipe in it??
    The stock system has an H in it.

Under the old rules ('05 I think), the H/X could be replaced for free at the +1 Class. When we went to the new style rules, I think most competitors just assumed the H/X became a free mod (as long as it was emissions compliant).

I think if the CCC took a look under some cars, they'd see a lot of people with stock headers, with aftermarket piping before the cats, that aren't claiming any pips.

Leave a comment:

• ScotcH
    replied

To be honest, I have no idea. I can only tell you what the rule says. If it's not OE or OEM replacement (as is same configuration and pipe diameter, bend types) then you gotta take the PIPs. If it does not good whatsoever, why change it?

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Pete
    replied

Originally posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
    So if I put this on my car, it's the same as putting Long-tube headers on?
    Does that ^ ^ replace a system that has NO H-pipe or X-pipe in it?? I would tend to think that adding an H- or X-pipe would be an improvement to an exhaust system, no? (unless the car already has one from the factory, in which case, no ... it shouldn't be charged PIPs, IMO).

Leave a comment:

• G-ForceJunkie
    replied

So if I put this on my car, it's the same as putting Long-tube headers on?

So that ^,
    Is the same as

+
    Last edited by G-ForceJunkie; 05-21-2008, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ScotcH
    replied

Any help with this one?
    Is it before the cats, and has it been modified or replaced? If the answer is yes, then you need to take the PIPs.

Leave a comment:

• G-ForceJunkie
    replied

It is 2 pips to replace the headers and ANY piping up to the cat.

Is the intent of that last point to also include aftermarket emissions-legal H and X pipes?
    Any help with this one?

Leave a comment:

• ScotcH
    replied

Originally posted by Tashko View Post
    Just re-read it and, yeah, it looks like for NA you are free to change anything until the throttle body. I missed the last line last time.

I think you have it right. You can change the air cleaner assembly and the piping that holds the sensors. Basically allowing a cold air intake.
    Yup ... that's the intent, to allow CAIs. As long as the MAF/HFM remains stock (and the wiring to it, so no resistors and such!), you can replace the whole intake piping up to the TB.

Leave a comment:

• Tashko
    replied

Just re-read it and, yeah, it looks like for NA you are free to change anything until the throttle body. I missed the last line last time.

I think you have it right. You can change the air cleaner assembly and the piping that holds the sensors. Basically allowing a cold air intake.

Leave a comment:

• G-ForceJunkie
    replied

Originally posted by Tashko View Post
    For the intake side, the way I read it is, you can do anything until you encounter the OE air flow sensor or throttle body (for MAP based systems). It doesn't say you can change anything as long as you retain the OE air flow sensor.

If your air flow sensor is right in front of the throttle body or you don't have an air flow sensor, lucky you. If your air flow sensor is right after the filter, not so lucky you.
    Are there any components in front of the throttle body besides the filter/air box, piping, and sensors?

If you can change the filter/air box, and you can change the piping...then that would mean you can change anything except the sensors, wouldn't it?

(For N/A engines)

Leave a comment:

• Tashko
    replied

For the intake side, the way I read it is, you can do anything until you encounter the OE air flow sensor or throttle body (for MAP based systems). It doesn't say you can change anything as long as you retain the OE air flow sensor.

If your air flow sensor is right in front of the throttle body or you don't have an air flow sensor, lucky you. If your air flow sensor is right after the filter, not so lucky you.

Leave a comment:

• G-ForceJunkie
    started a topic Intake/Exhaust authorized modifications

Intake/Exhaust authorized modifications

I need help with a couple rules.

First is the air intake.
    It is 'free' to 'The air cleaner assembly may be modified, but no further than; on a normally aspirated engine, the intake side (i.e. air cleaner side) of any ‘OE’ airflow sensor or throttle body; ...In addition, on normally aspirated engines only, the piping connecting the air cleaner assembly to the engine may be modified or replaced.'

So basically, you can replace everything in front of the throttle body, as long as you use stock sensors?

Second is the exhaust manifolds.
    It is 2 pips to replace the headers and ANY piping up to the cat.

Is the intent of that last point to also include aftermarket emissions-legal H and X pipes?

Thanks for any clarifications...
Working...
X