Toyo RA-1 vs R888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toyo RA-1 vs R888

Lots of great discussion and feedback guys, thanks. I'm leaning towards trying the RA-1's if they still have my size, if only to get some perspective on the R888s.

That being the case, any suggestions on what to shave them to, ideally leaving enough tread in case it rains? Is the 8/32 they come with too much tread for non-rain use. Would 4/32 be too little for rain use and to last the remaining events of the season after Calabogie?

The R888s came with 6/32 and I did not shave them. They have been thru 9 track days (solosprints, schools and lapping) and 3 autocross days (2 at Picton which was brutal on the tire shoulders). I expect 2 more autocross days before Calabogie will likely reduce the shoulder to the point that the tires would not survive the 3 days at Calabogie in late August (or reduce turning power significantly as happened at Shannonville by the Sunday event).
    Matt C
    OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Pete@Marcor View Post
      I think you are referring to the Ecsta V700.

The VictoRacer is a good choice, and has a more rigid carcass than the Toyo. I like the tire, but it is definitely not the deal that the RA-1 is.
      ^^ Right. I stand corrected.

Comment

Why not try the Hankook Z214 (C51) ?

New compound for this season, ultra-stiff sidewalls.

Success in the USA for Time Attack events... especially
        on Subarus
        Rallispec Ltd., Full Race Turbo Systems, Stop Tech Brakes, Hankook Motorsports, Hawk Brake Pads.

Comment

How are the Hankooks classified?

non-uber?
          '11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.

Comment

Two-groove uber-slick.
            Rallispec Ltd., Full Race Turbo Systems, Stop Tech Brakes, Hankook Motorsports, Hawk Brake Pads.

Comment

So I just came back from another 3 day school at Mosport.

I left the R888 on my car as I ran them at the Solosprint weekend, hardly any tread left and in the centre bald.
              I thought it's time now to REALLY compare them with my last year's RA1 as these were almost without tread from the beginning of this season and totally bald since Shannonville.

On Friday's 3 - half hour sessions the R888 felt good at first, but the longer I was on the track the more I lost grip.
              Saturday simmilar story, it was a bit damp and foggy in the morning, so I took it easy. In the afternoon I did a quick inspection of the tires and found in some spots in the centre of the front tire the cords were showing. Maybe about a 4 inch long stretch were the rubber had a gash to the cords. Not like a cut, but a thin line distinctive lower than the rest with the cords showing through. There were a couple of spots like that.

So much for testing the R888 to see how long they'd last when they are down to no tread as it is considered prime for the RA1. I got the R888 in May, I have about 10 events on them, but I always shared the track time with last year's RA1. The RA1 are still good and judging from past experience should last a few more track days.

Would I buy the R888 again or recommend it ??? ---- guess.
              Klaus
              BMW 325es
              Solosprint SGT2, #192
              Solo 2 D/Mod, # 192

The older I get, … the faster I am ...

Comment

I ran them this weekend at ICAR, and they suck compared to shaved (or worn) RA-1s. 1 second slower on a 2 minute track, and they were far greasier. I'll report again once they I try shaved R888, but I have a feeling Toyo dropped the ball on these, especially if the fantastic logevity of the rA-1s is gone
                Arek Wojciechowski
                8legs Racing, SPC #77
                http://www.8legsRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy View Post
                  Why not try the Hankook Z214 (C51) ?
                  Toyo pricing is hard to beat this year; maybe next year.
                  Matt C
                  OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Update ... the tires were flipped due to the excessive should wear resulting from the Picton autocross events. I have since run the Mosport school/ solosprint, a club autocross and 2 provincial autocross.

Lessons learned to date:

1) the mini is hard on tire shoulders, but the airport runway surface at Picton is _brutal_ and the root of the excessive shoulder wear I had on the R888's on the Mini. Since then, the wear has been reasonble. (Part of the problem at Picton was probably just overdriving the front, esp. on the 270deg point turns.)

2) I need softer tires for autocross; the R888 are not enough after getting hammered by 1/2 sec at the last provincial by a Hoosier shod Mini that I usually beat (at least on more technical courses). Unless Toyo brings in a softer autocross tire for next year, I will have to look for something else, at least for the front.

3) Since the back of the Mini does little, a seperate set of front tires for autocross and Solosprint makes sense; next year.

4) And a seperate set of front tires just for Picton!!

Given the wear and the cording that was starting on one of the R888, I just bought 2 replacement R888 for the front to finish the Solosprint season. Given the comments by several replies that the R888 were faster initially and the fact that solosprints are only 3 laps at a time, I decided to stick with them.

Based on the Toyo survey, it seems they are listening, so hopefully some of the issues you raised get addressed for next year.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
                    Matt C
                    OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Working...
                    X