Engine ticking noise after Mosport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ticking noise after Mosport

Seems the front wheel bearing wasn't the only problem the Mini was working on at the Mosport solosprint.

Returned home and parked the car only to hear this ticking thats sounds like a loose tappet. However, it ONLY occurs when the clutch is depressed; its stops when I let off the clutch. Frequency also increases with revs and when driving in first and second (too windy above that). Same thing, ticking only when the clutch is depressed.

Dealer thought it may be the clutch throwout bearing, but its still there after that was done. Dealer took the oil pan off and says I have a loose rod at the piston pin (how loose?), though I'm not convinced thats the cause.

Since it only occurs when the clutch is depressed it wouldn't be the transmission. So only thing left I can think of is something in the bottom end like the thrust washer that only gets loaded when the clutch is depressed. Since the Mini bottom end is supposed to be bullet proof, I'm struggling this being the cause as well.

Have any of you had anything similar happen to your engine that might help figure out the cause and how serious it might be?
    Matt C
    OTA #38 Miata

Re: Engine ticking noise after Mosport

As 'bulletproof' as that bottom end is supposed to be, every engine will be damaged by oil starvation. You can easily spin a bearing if you don't have enough lubrication.

Were you overfilling your engine oil......?

Try to locate the noise using a stethescope, you should be able to determine if its coming from the bottom end or not.
    Jonathan Weir
    Number: 5
    Class: Yours!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jonweir View Post
      As 'bulletproof' as that bottom end is supposed to be, every engine will be damaged by oil starvation. You can easily spin a bearing if you don't have enough lubrication.

Were you overfilling your engine oil......?

Try to locate the noise using a stethescope, you should be able to determine if its coming from the bottom end or not.
      Oil level was good; made a point of keeping it at or just below the top marker (i,e, not overfilling).

Is it pssible with the big, long`sweeping turns at Mosport that the engine was starved even with oil at the right level?

Dealer says its coming from the bottom end; I should have it back today, so I'll do the sound check myself and confirm the location.

Thanks.
      Matt C
      OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by minispeed View Post
        Is it pssible with the big, long`sweeping turns at Mosport that the engine was starved even with oil at the right level?
        Yes!

Overfilling will help. A properly baffled oil pan is better. Dry sump is best.

We run 0.6litres overfilled and luckily we haven't had any issues so far... Transverse mounted engines are probably worse due to oil climbing up the timing cover.
        Jonathan Weir
        Number: 5
        Class: Yours!
        sigpic

Comment

Especially at a place like Mosport with long sustained sweeping high G corners. Very easy to hurt or lose a motor. I run a Baffled oil pan with trap doors and still overfill by 0.2-0.5L to be safe.

Hope everything works out for you man.
          sigpicK24/K20A powered 1999 Integra GS-R all motor
          2007 SGT1 #362
          2008 SGT3-R #362

GT Sprints
          co-driving
          Phoenix Yellow 2000 Honda Civic car#363...GTC

Comment

I run my oil very high at mosport..you get a bit of windage ..better than a bit of motor blowing up
            Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

Originally posted by ADAM View Post
              better than a bit of motor blowing up
              Not blown up yet, but a listen with a stethoscope shows its at the bottom and its a pretty harsh sounding knock relative to the tappet like ticking w/o the scope.

Guess those visions of a relatively cheap and low maintenance introduction to solosprint are gone out the window!
              Matt C
              OTA #38 Miata

Comment

That's unfortunate .

Hopefully it's not too costly to fix up (and hopefully you've caught the problem in time before it gets astronomically worse ).

Maybe you'll get lucky ... new set of bearings, ARP rod bolts ... good as new . Just don't let this "hiccup" discourage you from the sport .
                OMSC
                Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Not blown up yet, but a listen with a stethoscope shows its at the bottom and its a pretty harsh sounding knock relative to the tappet like ticking w/o the scope.

Guess those visions of a relatively cheap and low maintenance introduction to solosprint are gone out the window!
                  Ouch! Hope things go well as you check this out further. Is your daughter still talking to you?
                  sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Is this your daughter's car? Man, if I was your daughter, I'd be thrilled. After you buy her a new motor, she'll be handing you the keys more often. "Daddy, the car feels kind of floaty. Can you hop a few curbs at the DDT and buy me some coilovers next?"

Seriously, hope it doesn't turn out to be anything serious. Been there... doing that. Again.
                    sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                    OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Minispeed, I think I met you at Erbsville Kartway back in the spring. We were talking about Solosprint... I haven't been back karting since BTW. I am too particular about my equipment and wasn't impressed with thiers.

Anyway, hope you get the noise figured out.
                      - Philip Agnoletto
                      '08 Nissan Rogue SL

Comment

2 motors and counting at mosport from oil starvation. And had baffles and oil.

Comment

Originally posted by philip_240sx View Post
                          Minispeed, I think I met you at Erbsville Kartway back in the spring. We were talking about Solosprint... I haven't been back karting since BTW. I am too particular about my equipment and wasn't impressed with thiers.

Anyway, hope you get the noise figured out.
                          Greetings again then Phil.

Yeah, karts there aren't great and the track is really bumpy in spots, but I like the layout. And I just find its another way to keep sharp.

Are you coming out to anything else like Solosprints or Solo 2? There is also a winter series at GP Kartways starting in the fall thats not too bad.
                          Matt C
                          OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
                            Is your daughter still talking to you?
                            Yes, still talking to me. Its still technically mine. She needed a car for school and really wanted a Mini; and I wanted to get back to some semi-serious racing of some sort. So we got the Mini (thought about the S, but I didn't think that would be a good idea with 3 driving teens in the house).

Still troubleshooting the problem; not convinced its the bottom end yet. But if it is, the only viable option seems to be swapping the motor for another used one. So if you see any wrecked Mini's about with the motor intact, let me know.
                            Matt C
                            OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Are you coming out to anything else like Solosprints or Solo 2? There is also a winter series at GP Kartways starting in the fall thats not too bad.
                              I don't think I will be out at SOLO this year... even as a spectator.

As for karting, I helped at a recent WRKC event at Flamborough Speedway. Nice track and seems well organized. I'm considering buying a used kart and running that series instead.
                              - Philip Agnoletto
                              '08 Nissan Rogue SL

Comment

Working...
                              X