Who's camping at Calabogie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's camping at Calabogie?

Just trying to get an idea whether I'll be all by myself.

Re: Who's camping at Calabogie?

I'll be there all weekend starting thursday so you won't be totally alone.

Paul
    Paul M
    Chief Timer
    2010 Solosprint Champion

sigpic

Comment

I slept on the pavement last year ... upgraded to the Motor Inn this year .
      OMSC
      Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
      Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Shawn and I will be there early Thursday evening also.

Derrick
        sigpic
        Derrick Cormier.
        Chief Scrutineer-Time Attack
        SGT? C5 Corvette
        OMSC

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
          I slept on the pavement last year ... upgraded to the Motor Inn this year .
          sissy.

I'll be leaving London at 6pm thursday. I need to go to brampton and get my truck (2hrs), then haul that beast up to Bogie(7hrs?). I might not even make it in the same day, i may pull off the highway at 1am or something and have a nap. I should arrive friday morning, then I am staying there all weekend.

Comment

Brampton to Bogie shouldn't take you more than 5 hours unless you really get rocked by traffic.
            The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

I haven't booked anything yet so I might be trying to find a spot on the grass, hopefully not the tarmac, Friday night.
              www.spda-online.ca
              sigpic

Comment

will be there thurs, fri, sat ,sun..

Adam
                Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

In the supps (which I'm working on at this second), there will be something like (because nobody reads the supps):

QUIET HOURS STRICTLY ENFORCED, and NO FIRES!

There will be real washrooms and real showers. Two weeks ago they were working, but half-finished, so they should be fully finished by our event.

There is an area where tents could go at the far end of the paddock (near pit in, if you've been there before).

There will be someone from CMP on-site.

No hookups (and to state the obvious, no dumping).

Hours that the gates are open are still under negotiation. We pay for every hour outside 7am-7pm that the gates are open, so ...

Comment

There as well for Thu, Fri, Sat; not sure about Sun; depends when we finish and if I feel like driving for 5 hours Sun night back to TO.

I know there are others coming up Thu too for the weekend. Should be a good crowd. Looking forward to the event.
                    Matt C
                    OTA #38 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                      Brampton to Bogie shouldn't take you more than 5 hours unless you really get rocked by traffic.
                      Obviously never seen the way I drive my truck on the highway . It uses 2x the fuel at 110 as it does at 90, so i drive 85-90 the whole way. Hwy7 is not an option as stop/go is even worse on gas.

Comment

Brampton to the end of 115 in Peterborough is all freeway. From there to HWY 511 at Perth there's maybe six traffic lights including the first and last, and they're not always red for Hwy 7. From Perth to the track on 511 I don't know as I've never driven it. For me coming the other way from just East of Ottawa to Mosport I always use Hwy 7 from where the 417 turns north to 115 at Peterborough. My total travel time is about 15 min. less than getting to the 416 then down to the 401 and up 35/115 again to Mosport. As the distance using Hwy 7 is shorter I can tow at 90 kliks max (the speed limit outside the villages varies between 80 and 90), get to Mosport sooner and use less gas.

If you intend to use just freeways to get as close to Calabogie as possible that means going 401 to the 416, up the 416 to the West end of Ottawa, then the 417 West then North to Arnprior. After that it's two lanes back West again for about 50 km to Calabogie, and there's two traffic lights to get through at Arnprior ... not a desirable route, I think. You could get off the 401 at Hwy 37 (Belleville) and go up through Tweed and catch Hwy 7 at Actinolite, but it's been decades since I've been in that area so I don't know how many traffic lights you'll meet up with.

All in all I'd suggest using Hwy 7 from Peterborough on, or maybe use that way going up and the Hwy7/37/401 on the way home as a comparison.
                        The Man's Prayer:
                        "I'm a man, but I can change ... if I have to ... I guess!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tashko View Post
                          I haven't booked anything yet so I might be trying to find a spot on the grass, hopefully not the tarmac, Friday night.
                          Tashko

I got an enclosed trailer now so you can stay in it since i will be staying in the back of the truck.

Paul
                          Paul M
                          Chief Timer
                          2010 Solosprint Champion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMatt View Post
                            Hwy7 is not an option as stop/go is even worse on gas.
                            Matt,

Mr. Powell is probably right. For your truck and the speed you'll be travelling at, the 115 / 7 route is probably the smartest. The route I took last year was 401 to 37, upto hwy 7, to 511. There are no stops at all on 511 as far as I recall, but it's hilly and windy the whole way up from Perth! (fun drive in the car, probably less so with a truck/trailer).

I can't speak for the stretch of Hwy 7 between Peterborough to where 37 comes out, but from 37 across (basically ~100 km) there were very few stops, and traffic flowed not too bad.

Since I'll be towing truck/trailer this year, I may consider 115/7 as well (I'll mapquest it first to compare distances) although my truck seems to maintain ~105 - 110 without too much strain on the hwy, so 401 isn't completely out for me.
                            OMSC
                            Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                            Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

John, thanks for the list of options! I am familiar with the 401/115 route to 7, but I'd need to check maps the rest of the way (will check some time in the coming weeks). It sounds like a good option. I wouldn't stick purely to highway if it meant going way east then west again; i just need to optimize my highway use against stops and hills. This truck is BRUTAL; 3-speed auto and 7.3L deisel, and the box is 8 feet tall making it a big brick in the wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X