Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Withdrawl

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
    Have you ever actually ridden an Arctic Cat ZR chassis????? I'm starting to think you have a bad taste from riding an old 'Doo, which just isn't (or never was) in the same league .

You know, the only reason I ever "upgraded" from the '99 ZR700 I used to have is because of the MOTOR. I needed more than those mere ~110 - 115 ponies ... even in the TRAILS, my sled was running out of breath! I never got out-handled though (even through whoops and bumps).
    Yeah rode lots of those as a riding buddy had a ZR 700 twin and it was pretty quick and he was a quick rider for sure.I had a CK chassis Mach 1 and it was the biggest piece of crap that I have ever owned.4500 kms and had to rerivet the complete chassis as the rivets were shearing and broke 2 or 3 rear suspension arms,my dealer kept telling me it was not a snowcross machine.In comparision my 02 ZX chassis 800 was a pillar of reliability with over 18000kms in 3 years with no great issues and still on the stock rings & pistons.The only thing bad about that sled was the real crappy fuel milege.I had my highest milege day on that sled which was over 850 kms.
    The best sled that I rode last winter was a XP Renegade 800X.I love the 136" track as it is so well balanced with the forward riding position.These crossovers are great because the track stays on the ground so well and they fly very flat but still very good handling with no push on tight corners.That 800r engine is also quite good on fuel.
    2015 F82 M4

Comment

I did a big ride last season Sudbury, Timmins, New Liskard and back to Sudbury in 3 days.

I was on an F7 and my buddy was on his MXZ-X.

Unbiased opinion. The F7 sucked in comparison haha, I convinced him to trade me for a day, he made me trade back after a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ogc_nb View Post
        I did a big ride last season Sudbury, Timmins, New Liskard and back to Sudbury in 3 days.

I was on an F7 and my buddy was on his MXZ-X.

Unbiased opinion. The F7 sucked in comparison haha, I convinced him to trade me for a day, he made me trade back after a couple of hours.
        Did you do "Piston alley" on the old railbed to Smooth Rock falls?
        2015 F82 M4

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
          Did you do "Piston alley" on the old railbed to Smooth Rock falls?
          No we didnt make it that far north. We almost took a detour to head up to Cochrane, but we were pushing the limit as it was.

The first day Sudbury to Timmins was hell, as barely any of the trails were groomed so we were pretty beat up after just that ride and bailed on the idea of going further.

Comment

Originally posted by ogc_nb View Post

The first day Sudbury to Timmins was hell, as barely any of the trails were groomed so we were pretty beat up after just that ride and bailed on the idea of going further.
            If both of you had been on a Rev/XP it would have been a breeze
            2015 F82 M4

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
              If both of you had been on a Rev/XP it would have been a breeze

no kidding. I was dying on that F7.

Comment

Here's a picture of our "fleet" (although I finally sold the green one last winter):

No doubt, on TIGHT trails, the heavier T-Cat starts to get tiresome to slug around. However, think of trails like the different tracks. Some are tight, with relatively short straights, like the DDT. Others are more open, with sweeping corners and longer straights, like MIR or Calabogie. Those are my favourite, regardless of what I'm riding. On those type of trails, I think you'd be surprised just how WELL the big T-Cat handles them. The T-Cat and the green ZR share the EXACT same chassis. Riding the two of them was nearly identical (until the tighter twisties) and the only real difference? POWER!! After my Dad bought the T-Cat, I was getting my ass kicked!! So I bought the F7, which is around the same weight (maybe even a shade lighter) as the ZR700, but has ~30 more HP. That helped level the playing field a lot. Until we hit a lake .

Sorry, I can't help it ... I love pus______________ ..... um, Arctic Cats .
                OMSC
                Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
                  Here's a picture of our "fleet" (although I finally sold the green one last winter):

No doubt, on TIGHT trails, the heavier T-Cat starts to get tiresome to slug around. However, think of trails like the different tracks. Some are tight, with relatively short straights, like the DDT. Others are more open, with sweeping corners and longer straights, like MIR or Calabogie. Those are my favourite, regardless of what I'm riding. On those type of trails, I think you'd be surprised just how WELL the big T-Cat handles them. The T-Cat and the green ZR share the EXACT same chassis. Riding the two of them was nearly identical (until the tighter twisties) and the only real difference? POWER!! After my Dad bought the T-Cat, I was getting my ass kicked!! So I bought the F7, which is around the same weight (maybe even a shade lighter) as the ZR700, but has ~30 more HP. That helped level the playing field a lot. Until we hit a lake .

Sorry, I can't help it ... I love pus______________ ..... um, Arctic Cats .
                  Yeah you really need to have 2 sleds to fit the needs of the different riding that we do.For the pipeline riding that we do up in the Northern Corridor,the old style triples were great for that 140 kph + type riding.This is one place where the new lightweight twins just do not cut it and then for the rest of the riding we do the new lightweight twin stuff is miles better than any of the old triples.
                  2015 F82 M4

Comment

YEAH... thats one thing I dont like about my MXZ tnt is that past 130kph..its dead.. however from 0-120kph it really flys...

so unless you are lake running its not an issue...I dont think I would go to a 800cc unless I did more lake running

Pete the new XP chassis is really really really refined and once you adjust to the new riding style there is no going back to the old sit down style..its just such a vast improvement and makes riding a sled so much easier..plus you can just eat bumps up...silly bumps with impunity..

I am not a brand monger..if the new best sled is gonna be that polaris rush...than thats what my next sled will be ...if Arctic cat has the best one...then that would be it...

however before I bought this new sled I read about every review there was..and took a pull on one of each brand...and hands down at least in 2009 the XP chassis was the best out there...by a long shot

next choice would have been a polaris dragon, or a polaris IQ..not sure after that....maybe that Arctic cat turbo monster
                    Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

Did they change much in the actual SEATING position between the ~'05/'06 era REVs, and the '09 XP's?? Over the course of the day that I did spend some time on the REV machine, I found that A) I had a hard time finding a place that I was happy to keep my feet, and B) my knees were getting sore from the awkward angle that my feet/legs were on to straddle the seat. That's not me "bitching" about the 'Doo just for the sake of it either ... I remember suffering (and complaining ) about it the day I rode it. I can't honestly say I've ever suffered from an uncomfortable riding position like that on any other sled before (even my buddy's older MX-Z isn't like that, but it's a 2000 model). I haven't ridden the latest XP though, so I can't comment if it's the same or not.

It's all a moot point anyway ... how many years have the REVs been on the market and magazines & riders alike have been flocking to them in droves, and I'm still happy riding my Cat . Honestly, it's going to take something pretty freakin' drastic to get me to jump ship!!

(... this is about the same as trying to get me into a Mustang ... I don't care HOW "Great" it is ... it ain't happening!!!! )

PROVE to me how much my ol' relic is holding me back, and I'll reconsider .
                      OMSC

Comment

Rev's and Xp's are totally different beasts...

the Xp's are very comfy..they gained 8 inches (huge amount)of foot space over the older REV's..plus they dropped tons of weight

whats nice about the XP's ..you can just sit there like the old sit down sleds if you want to trundle along...and in 1 second stand up and convert to all out mayhem type riding..where bumps and hills can almost be disregarded...

the difference is so drastic vs the sit down sleds its insane..

its the difference of seeing a huge set of bumps coming up in a older model sled and saying "crap this is gonna hurt as you slap on the binders to try and slow down" vs riding the XP you just stand up a bit..and get on the gas and the sleds just airs over the bumps ...I mean you can really power over the bumps now...

and when you see one of those hills coming that taper off and you would usually have to slow down cause you will get too much air off them...

on the XP just give it gas..and let it float in the air..and adjust your landing with the brake and gas as you see fit...getting 20ft+ of air is no biggi

you really have to try a new chassis..its day and night

Comment

Originally posted by ADAM View Post
                          whats nice about the XP's ..you can just sit there like the old sit down sleds if you want to trundle along...and in 1 second stand up and convert to all out mayhem type riding..where bumps and hills can almost be disregarded...

the difference is so drastic vs the sit down sleds its insane..

you really have to try a new chassis..its day and night
                          And I could buy a Subaru and go into rally ... but I don't see a for sale sign on the Camaro yet either . Guess I'm a little bit old school .
                          OMSC

Comment

The XP is a Quantum leap ahead of the old Rev.The riding position is so much improved with the extra 8" of legroom.The 2009's were much much improved over the 08's at least in the X version which was totaly recalibrated in the suspension.Now you just need to put on a larger windsheild and you are good to go.
                            2015 F82 M4

Comment

he he ..yes my TNT came with the smallest most useless wind shield ..you freeze your butt off...I put on the medium windsheild..and some small side mirrors, and studded the track..thats about all that needed to be done

Comment

Yeah, those "fly screens" are f'n brutal . I don't know HOW people "enjoy" riding with them. And yes, I rode a good couple hundred miles behind (if you call it that) a flyscreen, and froze my ass off . They're completely retarded.
                                OMSC

Comment

Working...
                                X