Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: brake pad choice..

Originally posted by bsclywilly View Post
    I predict you will not draw any meaningful conclusions! muahaha.

I'm an 'other' as well. I drive my car on the street with race pads, DTC-60s. Makes for a good leg work out when stopping cold.
    LOL, we're ass-backwards...
    Jonathan Weir
    Number: 5
    Class: Yours!
    sigpic

Comment

since the poll is if you race pads or not, i don't think it matters if they are on a trailered car or if you are insane like will (using race pads on the street)... or is the poll about sanity?

DJM:>
      in temporary retirement from racing...

Comment

I've driven around on the street with both HT14's and DTC70's . I've never had full confidence in my sanity though .

I will say that the HT14's performed better on the street than the DTC70's did .
        OMSC
        Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
        Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Carbotech xp10 front - xp8 rear.
          Even though I now flat tow the car to the track, daily fair-weather driver.
          sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

driven dtc-70s on the street - destroyed the pads (they wore out on the bottom, but not the top) and the rotors (no more slots...). good times
            -Alex M / Alexei M.
            119 / 19.
            sigpic

Comment

Race pads swapped at the trac - always have, always will. Hawk blues have been great in the past, tried the Satisfied GS3/2's and they were decent but not as good as the Blues. Also tried Ferodo race pads on the STI but the initial bite sucked.
              CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
              sigpic
              Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Anyone try the Hawk HP plus brake pads? They are supposed to offer great cold bite plus race style fade resistance and stopping power and can be street driven. Who in this area sells Hawk Pads? I know state side where to find them, just wondering if any local suppliers have them that don't charge the seemingly usual US price plus 60%.

Comment

I love the HP+ for Autoslalom. I did my first lapping day on them, and they held up quite well.... for a "street" pad, but they would start to fade after a few laps - keep in mind as a noob, my speeds were slower but I was probably using the brakes more than an experienced driver.

They in no way compare to the Hawk Blues (my only other point of reference).

....that was on a near stock Integra GSR - 26-2700lbs - 170ish crank HP... so not the most direct comparison to the Vette YMMV
                  #168 GT1-R :)
                  movin' up in the world

Comment

I have the HP plus on my car right now and what a difference to the OEs! I’ve done a couple of lapping days at MIR on them and I didn’t notice much fade.

They do squeal a lot under normal driving conditions though.
                    sigpic
                    Carsten - OTA #276 GT1

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeScreen View Post
                      Anyone try the Hawk HP plus brake pads? They are supposed to offer great cold bite plus race style fade resistance and stopping power and can be street driven. Who in this area sells Hawk Pads? I know state side where to find them, just wondering if any local suppliers have them that don't charge the seemingly usual US price plus 60%.
                      I ran race pads on the front and HP+ on the rear last year. I tried leaving the HP+ pads on the back after an event one time and quickly learned how embarassing it is to have squeeky brakes on the street. I took them off the next chance I had.

As far as performance goes - I'm running high performance street rubber so the HP+ pads have been more than enough braking power and I did not experience any fade/issues.
                      #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

Thanks guys, just the kind of input I was hoping for.

Comment

I ran HP+ all of last year w/ streets. Great pad, but crazy levels of dust and squeal. Window down driving actually became a chore!
                          #74 - 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

^ ^ that's why I refuse to run anything "track" oriented on the street anymore ... WAY too hard to keep clean, and WAY too noisy (squealing) ... very annoying, and draws too much attention for the wrong reasons .

I've been running ceramic pads for a long time, since they create the least amount of dust, but still have good braking power when needed. Heck, I've even used my STREET ceramic pads on the track before, without too much trouble! (just not as much grip as track pads, obviously).

If you're getting into switching pads anyway, then I wouldn't "upgrade" to HP+ ... might as well go a level further (ie: Blues / HT10's / DTC60/70's).
                            OMSC
                            Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                            Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy View Post
                              Also tried Ferodo race pads on the STI but the initial bite sucked.
                              The DS1.11 compound fixes that. Bites like a HP+ and has phenomenal torque.
                              sigpic

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
                              OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842

Comment

Barattero (builders of RS&SP racing suspensions) is now offering
                                their own street, track and racing pads for popular applications.

Contact IVANO for information !!!
                                Last edited by oldguy; 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM. Reason: I can't fu*king spell, duh.
                                Rallispec Ltd., Full Race Turbo Systems, Stop Tech Brakes, Hankook Motorsports, Hawk Brake Pads.

Comment

Working...
                                X