Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake pad choice..

This is in reference to the tire poll

I want to know how many people will plan to use high-performance street brake pads, and how many people are planning on using race-only (or similar) pads

the underlying question is, are you going to bother replacing your pads on race day?

also if your car is trailed in, please ignore the post

and if you vote "other", please explain yourself
    high performance street pad - do not plan to change at track
    40.43%
    race- only pad - i plan to change my pads at the track
    48.94%
    other??
    10.64%
    set tire pressures to winning!

Re: brake pad choice..

IF I were to show up with my street-tire clad car (not trailered in), I would still opt to run race-oriented pads. Perhaps less aggressive than I would run with something as sticky as Hoosiers, but I wouldn't just show up on "street tires" in "street trim". Been there, done that, cooked the brakes.

Track pads/rotors FTW .

But I'm not likely to be out much anyway, if at all, so my opinion may be irrelevant .
    OMSC
    Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
    Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

This is highly dependant on the car. Doesn't matter to me what the tires I run I only brake in 5 at MIR
      sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

I ran most of last season on the pads that came with the car when I bought it except for one hiddious set of so called "ultamite pads" I tried at a lapping session in June. Never had any problem stopping or slowing the car down any other time, no cooked or cracked rotors, no fade or pulsations. Those pads are now gone, put on another set of OE pads, new rotors and will try them. What I need to go faster is to stay off the brakes more, I slow down for the corners way to damn much as it is. If I track the Astra I have no choice it seems but to stick with street pads, no race ones available (stop laughing)

Comment

^ ^ That's funny, Pat, I was on the brakes a lot more than I wanted to be too! (better pads would cut down on the required braking time by a lot! ... allowing you to go much deeper into the braking zone ... carrying more speed ... shaving precious seconds off your lap times ).
          OMSC

Comment

hawk dtc 70/60 front/rear for the subaru. only had the chance to try them at a track day in november, but boy was there a difference.... braking zone = faceplant into steering wheel. its even worse for the passenger ...
            -Alex M / Alexei M.
            119 / 19.
            sigpic

Comment

for guys and gals switching to street tires, becareful of an aggressive pad. the same pads that have the braking HP to put you at the max of your belts on r-comps will flat spot your streets.

you will wnat to look at aggresive street pads with a high temp compound. especially for the non-MIR tracks
              sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Pete, I believe what you are saying, it's just so hard for me to fight the instinct to jump on the binders early and hard , I might try some track pads, or at least find something more suited. Also if I can master heel toe braking which has been a huge challenge for me I am bound to shave some more time as well. Looking forward to this season, and the nice weather we have been getting has got me aching to get out on the track.

Comment

I'm sure that heal-toe helps for those who can do it, but it's not necessary to go "fast". I can't do it properly (I've tried, but I have clumsy feet ... they're good for mashing pedals, but nothing "fancy" ). You just need to have the confidence to go deeper into the corner ... sorry ... "braking zone" (being politically correct).
                  OMSC

Comment

DTC 60's in my Civic. I ran Hawk Blue last year, but now they are old tech. I've also got a faster car this year and bigger brakes, so i'm excited to see how the DTC60s work. So far they feel better and easier to modulate. Good thing since i figured out how to trail brake during last season - Thanks Miles/RRRex

DJM:>
                    in temporary retirement from racing...

Comment

I voted 'other' because I'll either trailer my Civic w/ race pads but won't be changing pads at the track or I'll bring my street car (or my dad's street car) and run it on a track pad (my dad swaps Hawk HT10's onto his Vette) or a street/track pad (was running Mintex Xtreme pads on my G35 which is a streetable but very track-worthy pad).
                      The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

remember the point of this poll/post is to determine a correlation (if any) between a persons tire strategy and level of preperation.

i'm trying to form a conclusion as to whether people are choosing street tires solely as a tuning strategy, or because it simply makes participation in the sport easier.

I personaly do not plan to run a race-only pad, and will settle for street tires and highperformance street pads

drive to the track, and drive back.. i'm tired of changing tires in the mud :/

Comment

My goal is to keep my car as streetable as possible while remaining competitive...

Also makes for great marketing to get others into Solo (trying to convince 2 co-workers as we speak).

"Really, you can bring your street car, mine is outside with winters on it right now..."
                          #74 - 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by thgear View Post
                            remember the point of this poll/post is to determine a correlation (if any) between a persons tire strategy and level of preperation.
                            i'm trying to form a conclusion as to whether people are choosing street tires solely as a tuning strategy, or because it simply makes participation in the sport easier.
                            I personaly do not plan to run a race-only pad, and will settle for street tires and highperformance street pads
                            drive to the track, and drive back.. i'm tired of changing tires in the mud :/
                            I predict you will not draw any meaningful conclusions! muahaha.

I'm an 'other' as well. I drive my car on the street with race pads, DTC-60s. Makes for a good leg work out when stopping cold.

Will Chan

Former OTA CCC Chairman

Comment

Originally posted by bsclywilly View Post
                              I predict you will not draw any meaningful conclusions! muahaha.

I'm an 'other' as well. I drive my car on the street with race pads, DTC-60s. Makes for a good leg work out when stopping cold.
                              but the point is that you are not going to bother changing pads/rotors when you get the track, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X