Ron's iPhone Lap Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron's iPhone Lap Timer

I thought some of you guys might be interested in a little iPhone app that Ron has been working on in his spare time.

At last Saturday's lapping event, some of you may have noticed that I had an iPhone attached to the dash of the dwarf car. This was not actually to use GPS to find my way around the track, but to try out Ron Pasdernick's iPhone Lap Timer application, which is pretty nifty. It gives you real-time display of current lap times and lateral and longitudinal acceleration, plus it logs this data, which you can then view in his Mac lap viewer application, plus you can export the path data to a .kml file to view in Google Maps etc.

Here are a couple of shots of the data screens. Pretty fun stuff for very little investment (if you already have the phone). The app needs a little debugging yet, but it's pretty good already.

The phone GPS only samples once per second, so the speed/position data is a little rough, but apparently the iPhone 4 can sample faster.

Track map from a single lap:

Lateral G's from same lap:

Speed trace from same lap:
    Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Re: Ron's iPhone Lap Timer

What's the name and cost on the apple store?
    sigpic
    Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

I think it's "Lap Timer Data Acquisition" and it costs 10 or 12 bucks. The icon has a checkered flag and a picture of Ron's old car in it.

Comment

Thanks but that does not help much since I do not know who Ron is or what car he had.

Can you post a link?

How for this compare to Harry's Lap Timer?
        sigpic
        Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

It is the ioDigitalDesign lap timer.

It is much more basic than Harry's Lap Timer, I think. I haven't tried Harry's or the CMS one, although I intend to.

Comment

Working...
          X