Newbie Question - preparing a Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question - preparing a Miata

Before I start spending money I want to make sure I understand what I need to do to prepare my '94 Miata for the track. This is all safety related, I have no immediate plans for performance improvements as I just want to get out on the track and have some fun.

Looking at the 2010 Rules this is what I've learned:

1. I need a rollbar. Rule 1.3.1.

2. I need the top up or the hard top on. Rule 1.4.3.

- any advice on this point? Is a hard top worth it for an actual glass rear window?

3. I don't have to worry about the rollbar being 2" above the top of my helmet as long as it is as close to the top of the convertable or hard top because I have to have the top up. Rule 1.3.4.

- I assume that if I get a Hard Dog "M2 Hard Core Hardtop" bar would be acceptable and be compatible with either a hardtop or the convertable top with a glass window. Any recommendations or advice?

4. I don't need window nets but they are a good idea. Rule 1.4.1 and 1.4.4.

- Any thoughts on this? Can they be installed between the A-pillar and roll-bar? Good idea or belt and suspenders?

5. Race Seat. I searched but I didn't see any requirements for a race seat to be of any particular specification so I could use a cheap fiberglass bucket that I bought off some circle track racers. The alternative is a radical foamectomy on the stock seat to get more headroom.

6. Head restraint needs to withstand 200 lbs of force. Rule 1.3.7.

- Okay I could see this being a PITA. A cheap bucket may be suspect, is it reasonable to assume that a stock seat headreast could meet this requirement? I carry a lot of my height in my torso so even with a radical foamectomy the back of my head might not be centered on the headrest. Right now stock the top of the headrest would contact the base of my skull and snap my neck cleanly in a rear-impact. Hence my interest in non-standard race bucket.

- Seat back braces. Is there a requirement for this or is it more of a road-racing requirement?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Thomas

Re: Newbie Question - preparing a Miata

I don't have a Miata, so my responses may not be perfect. Yes, you will need a roll bar. Both soft and hard tops run the series, so it's not a matter of one or the other. You will need to be able to see out via mirrors and rear window during lapping segments of the day.

As far as the Hard Dog roll bar, I believe that fitment of that bar was good and that some of our competitors use/used that bar. You'll need to talk to the Miata guys/forum to confirm that.

The only drivers I know running window nets are the folks running full out race cars. Street cars and window nets - too much potential to bang your head when you're driving on the street without a helmet.

Race seat and cheap. I think you answered your own question. Putting a brace on a cheap seat sounds like a potentially spine damaging situation. Get a decent seat if you're changing that. The brace is more a matter of the seat that you buy than the series.

Don't take my comments as gospel, just something to get you started.

Originally posted by exST165 View Post
    Before I start spending money I want to make sure I understand what I need to do to prepare my '94 Miata for the track. This is all safety related, I have no immediate plans for performance improvements as I just want to get out on the track and have some fun.

Looking at the 2010 Rules this is what I've learned:

1. I need a rollbar. Rule 1.3.1.

2. I need the top up or the hard top on. Rule 1.4.3.

- any advice on this point? Is a hard top worth it for an actual glass rear window?

3. I don't have to worry about the rollbar being 2" above the top of my helmet as long as it is as close to the top of the convertable or hard top because I have to have the top up. Rule 1.3.4.

- I assume that if I get a Hard Dog "M2 Hard Core Hardtop" bar would be acceptable and be compatible with either a hardtop or the convertable top with a glass window. Any recommendations or advice?

4. I don't need window nets but they are a good idea. Rule 1.4.1 and 1.4.4.

- Any thoughts on this? Can they be installed between the A-pillar and roll-bar? Good idea or belt and suspenders?

5. Race Seat. I searched but I didn't see any requirements for a race seat to be of any particular specification so I could use a cheap fiberglass bucket that I bought off some circle track racers. The alternative is a radical foamectomy on the stock seat to get more headroom.

6. Head restraint needs to withstand 200 lbs of force. Rule 1.3.7.

- Okay I could see this being a PITA. A cheap bucket may be suspect, is it reasonable to assume that a stock seat headreast could meet this requirement? I carry a lot of my height in my torso so even with a radical foamectomy the back of my head might not be centered on the headrest. Right now stock the top of the headrest would contact the base of my skull and snap my neck cleanly in a rear-impact. Hence my interest in non-standard race bucket.

- Seat back braces. Is there a requirement for this or is it more of a road-racing requirement?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Thomas
    sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Thanks for your response Frank.

Comment

In my 1999 Miata I have a Hard Dog Hard Core bar. It needs race approved padding where your head or passenger head can hit it (Across top front). You can buy custom fit padding from Hard Dog. The padding sticks on the bar. I use the stock seat.

JohnP

Comment

John,
          do you run with the soft-top up or with a hard-top? If you run with the soft top how is the visibility out the back?

Thanks!
          Thomas

Comment

I run with the soft top only since it is lighter (I do have a hardtop stored in the basement). I have a glass window out back, so visibility is perfect if I needed it but I use side mirrors so really don't need to look out the back window.

JohnP

Comment

Working...
            X