• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bsclywilly
    replied
    Re: Insurance...sorry to bring it up

Originally posted by George View Post
    Is there a limit to the amount that they will cover; and,

Does the policy require claimants to exhaust any other possible source of coverage before the ASN Policy kicks in.
    http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthr...ity#post177020

Read links.

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

Originally posted by bsclywilly View Post
    At the track, ASN Insurance covers you for liability...
    Is there a limit to the amount that they will cover; and,

Does the policy require claimants to exhaust any other possible source of coverage before the ASN Policy kicks in.

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

Originally posted by finboy View Post
    afaik.... lant covers show and shine types.. not cars involved in motorsports
    :shrug:
    Most of them likely are show&shine rigs but they go by age and I think it's anything 15 years or older based on appraisal value.

As for modifications, they insured my 83TA which is modded quite a bit and mainly used for lap days plus I did an S1 event once..lol

The appraisal listed everything that was done to the car and they wrote the policy based on that. Also, you are not limited to attending car shows etc. - you can use the vehicle for recreational driving.

Obviously, they would not cover you for accidents at the track and they are probably no more enthusiastic about getting dinged for damages to a third party arising out of a racing incident than any other auto insurer.

Leave a comment:

• Burnsey
    replied

Originally posted by Locost View Post
    You're right. They focus on the collector car market, but Tony is a real car guy who happens to have owned his brokerage since 1978. I think he'll have an insight on the insurance risks we're taking by driving our road vehicles on the track. He's willing to come out and give us some straight answers. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.
    Thanks for letting us know. I'd like to attend if I can find the time. Do you have a specific date/place/etc for your May meeting?

Leave a comment:

• Locost
    replied

Originally posted by finboy View Post
    You're right. They focus on the collector car market, but Tony is a real car guy who happens to have owned his brokerage since 1978. I think he'll have an insight on the insurance risks we're taking by driving our road vehicles on the track. He's willing to come out and give us some straight answers. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Leave a comment:

• thgear
    replied

Originally posted by coalmine View Post
    insure it as a show and shine, or a highly customized car,
    it just so happens there is a track at the show your going to.
    cover your plates noone needs to know.
    We are trying to avoid this type of behavior, not promote it.

Leave a comment:

• coalmine
    replied

insure it as a show and shine, or a highly customized car,
    it just so happens there is a track at the show your going to.
    cover your plates noone needs to know.

Leave a comment:

• finboy
    replied

Originally posted by Locost View Post
    The Oshawa Motor Sports Club has Tony Lant of Lant Insurance Brokers booked as a guest speaker for our May meeting. Lant are the people who bring you the Custom Wheels and Silver Wheels programs.
    Tony is willing to speak openly and honestly about our insurance issues. He's also willing to take any questions. We can all use pseudonyms
    Everyone is welcome to our meetings so please feel free to attend.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Locost
    replied

The Oshawa Motor Sports Club has Tony Lant of Lant Insurance Brokers booked as a guest speaker for our May meeting. Lant are the people who bring you the Custom Wheels and Silver Wheels programs.
    Tony is willing to speak openly and honestly about our insurance issues. He's also willing to take any questions. We can all use pseudonyms
    Everyone is welcome to our meetings so please feel free to attend.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• ADAM
    replied

"negligence has to be proven though, no?"

as with anything in the court..yes...

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Atkins
    replied

Originally posted by hsgrewal View Post
    I think for the most part all of us guys are prepared cover all on TRACK damages outside of liability.

Is liability covered by the waivers and track insurance? Or would we have to go to our insurance companies for this? As stated earlier, all these events could be considered speed test, and besides the fact that our cars are modified wouldn't our insurance companies just be able to make the payments to the parties we are liable and then turn around and sue us for those payments.

Also, my more pressing concern is driving on the street with our modified cars. So if I didn't tell my insurance company that my car was modified and kept street driving it, and someday some no fault accident happened, and outside of damages there were liability cost would my insurance company pay those liability cost, or would they able to walk away.

When i say walk away i refer to them making the mandatory payment of liability to third persons and then collecting this amount from me through suing me.

I m reading both a textbook and the Ontario automobile policy, and they aren't particularly clear on the matter. Moreover, even after reading the highly educated responses from several members, I'm still very unclear as to how insurance works for liability both on and off track. Does anyone have some actual experience in the matter?
    While you are at the track, our ASN insurance covers third party liability.

A lot of people drive modified cars on the street - most have not told their insurance broker about the changes. It's the after accident claim with photographs that get you in the end. That is when they walk away. You still have liability insurance but no collision. It is always best to talk with your insurance rep to see if you can be covered. The up side is that if you have upgraded your car, for example better wheels or a better stereo, they will just increase your premium. The down side is that they may tell you that they won't insure your car.

If someone tells you that ther highly modified car is insured as is, ask to see their insurance policy with the modifications listed. They are probably not telling you the whole truth.

But, in the event that it is insured as modified be sure to let us know. That company will be blind sided with new customers.

Leave a comment:

• thgear
    replied

Originally posted by ADAM View Post
    "To make yourself personally liable you have to do something that is against the rules."

NO...

any negligence on a persons part can make them liable, and waivers and ect..do not protect you in a court of law..simple as that
    negligence has to be proven though, no?

Leave a comment:

• ADAM
    replied

"To make yourself personally liable you have to do something that is against the rules."

NO...

any negligence on a persons part can make them liable, and waivers and ect..do not protect you in a court of law..simple as that

Leave a comment:

• racecartech
    replied

To make yourself personally liable you have to do something that is against the rules.

Ie, passing a car in the corner and causing a collision.

If you break the rules the waivers and the organizers can not be relied on to bail you out.

bottom line is not to do anything to put anouther competitor in harms way

Leave a comment:

• hsgrewal
    replied

I think for the most part all of us guys are prepared cover all on TRACK damages outside of liability.

Is liability covered by the waivers and track insurance? Or would we have to go to our insurance companies for this? As stated earlier, all these events could be considered speed test, and besides the fact that our cars are modified wouldn't our insurance companies just be able to make the payments to the parties we are liable and then turn around and sue us for those payments.

Also, my more pressing concern is driving on the street with our modified cars. So if I didn't tell my insurance company that my car was modified and kept street driving it, and someday some no fault accident happened, and outside of damages there were liability cost would my insurance company pay those liability cost, or would they able to walk away.

When i say walk away i refer to them making the mandatory payment of liability to third persons and then collecting this amount from me through suing me.

I m reading both a textbook and the Ontario automobile policy, and they aren't particularly clear on the matter. Moreover, even after reading the highly educated responses from several members, I'm still very unclear as to how insurance works for liability both on and off track. Does anyone have some actual experience in the matter?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X