Best tires for Time Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tires for Time Attack

Just curious what people think will be the best tires for the 2011 Time Attack competition. I know Toyo is a sponsor, but I'd like to consider all aspects before deciding. I don't want to use premium R compound - so I'm thinking non-premium R and street tires with a 140 treadwear or higher. The car is a 1997 Camaro with 275/40R17 with some engine and suspension mods. Any thoughts would be apppreciated.
    Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

Re: Best tires for Time Attack

Welcome -

Dunlop Star Spec , Bridgestone RE11, Hankook all got good reviews last year. Others are Falken, Toyo R1R, Yoks etc... it all depends on what size rims you are running as all sizes are not available from all brands - so opinions will vary.

Brad

Comment

From the reviews and comparisons I've read, all the 140utog tires are pretty well comparable, and it comes down to size, and brand preference (and perhaps price!).

Comment

...Kumho xs, yok ad08, nitto nt05 for street tires. R888, Nitto nt01, michelin ps2 cup, yok a048 for non-premium R. As wide as you can fit them.

Will Chan

Former OTA CCC Chairman

Comment

I use Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my 350Z for lapping/time attacks and just for around town, they wear good and evenly (no chunking), my RE040's used to decay just flinging off chunks of rubber everywhere. The RE050 is probably one of the best street tires you could use and the closest thing to an R-compound.
          '93 Mazda MX6 LS - Sold
          '03 Nissan 350Z Track - Sold <tears>
          '07 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Hankook RS3. Cheap; 255/40/17 on 9.5" rim looks as wide as most 275s (just ask Dave Barker); symmetrical, which makes it easy to swap from side to side if you're running stock camber; sticky at 140utqg; don't seem to heat cycle out; did I mention cheap.
            sigpic
            2006 350z
            OTA SGT1 #14 GT Challenge GS #19

Comment

Originally posted by Kart14 View Post
              I'm a big fan of the Hankook RS3. Cheap; 255/40/17 on 9.5" rim looks as wide as most 275s (just ask Dave Barker); symmetrical, which makes it easy to swap from side to side if you're running stock camber; sticky at 140utqg; don't seem to heat cycle out; did I mention cheap.
              Matt is right. The Nitto NT-05s that I had were at best a few mm bigger than Matt's RS3 Hankooks. I do think most 275s are bigger than the Nittos claim to be

OTOH your Camaro in base trim, is even heavier than mine and certainly some of the other "street" tires will overheat, not just the Nitto NT-05. Ok for going a long time at 8-9 tenths but won't handle much at 10 tenths.

Personally I am going back to R comps. Would love to hear the prices on BFG R1s as they are now an official sponsor.
              Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Dave, In a 275/40/17 I think the R1 for CASC was priced about the same as a Hoosier. That size is something around $290 I think.
                sigpic
                Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback.

I'm kind of confused as to which ones are Street (140) and which are non-premium R compounds. Some input on that would be appreciated. As I noted, I'm running 275/40R17 on 9.5 wide rims - your opinions on which brands of street and which brands of non-premium would be fastest would be appreciated. I plan to use all the tires capability - that's what it's there for. I'm not worried about price.

Thanks guys !!!
                  Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

I sent you a PM.
                    sigpic
                    Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Thanks Doug !
                      Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

Working...
                      X