Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motorsport Tires for Time Attacks

Joe,

Discounts from MSRP are one thing, but misleading 'special pricing' are another.

The fact is that somebody or everybody in the Canadian sales chain is making lots more money than they are in the USA sales chain - close to 30% more. Simple math suggests that the guy buying the tires without the discount coupons is the one paying for those coupons. Shame on a company for suggesting that everyone is getting special pricing. That old school smoke and mirrors way of doing business not only turns people off buying their product in Canada, it turns them off buying their product at all.

I started this tread because I wanted to know where to buy tires at the New Time Attack Series special price that is promoted. I've learned the real meaning of special pricing and cross-border shopping. Isn't free enterprise great ?
    Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy' by Browne & Frey

Comment

Brutus,

What makes you think that the Canadian Sales Chains are making 30% more than their US counterparts. Are you calling the likes of Tirecraft, WTZ, Talon, and all Canadian retailers gougers? With regards to comments regarding "special pricing", I just re-read this thread, and the people in the know have indicated that it's a discount of off the Canadian List prices, typical of what every tire company does.

I beg to differ, in defence of all Canadian Retailers, their purchase prices are all within a few points of each other, and their complaint is the same as ours. Why are their Canadian Costs all higher than what the US can buy them for? As an experienced business man in the experiental marketing business, do you ask Subaru why their prices are 20 - 25 percent higher "Retail" than their USA counterparts?

I think you should be looking deeper into the root cause of the problem, and I'm betting you'll find that the Canadian dealers are not lining their coffers with the wheelbarrow full of money they acquire from us unsuspecting Canadians. Also, to call a sponsor misleading without knowing the facts, is a bit irresponsible, don't you think?

On another note, you bringing the Canso out to run at the track? Would be nice to see it run.

Originally posted by Brutus View Post
      Joe,

Discounts from MSRP are one thing, but misleading 'special pricing' are another.

The fact is that somebody or everybody in the Canadian sales chain is making lots more money than they are in the USA sales chain - close to 30% more. Simple math suggests that the guy buying the tires without the discount coupons is the one paying for those coupons. Shame on a company for suggesting that everyone is getting special pricing. That old school smoke and mirrors way of doing business not only turns people off buying their product in Canada, it turns them off buying their product at all.

I started this tread because I wanted to know where to buy tires at the New Time Attack Series special price that is promoted. I've learned the real meaning of special pricing and cross-border shopping. Isn't free enterprise great ?
      Last edited by JoeT; 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM.
      President, Co-Founder
      http://www.spda-online.ca
      sigpic
      SPDA, Bringing "Racing to Racers"!
      2003 CSP Champion, 2004 FSP Champion,
      2005 FSP Champion, 2006 FSP Champion
      Supported by the greatest companies!!
      Click me to see the companies supporting grass roots motorsports!!

Comment

Joe,

I wasn't making or directing my comments to any specific level of the distribution chain or to Canadian retailers. If you reread what I said, it's that somebody or everybody in the Canadian sales chain is making lots more money than the USA sales chain. We're talking the same tires producted by the same manufacturer. If the Canadian chain (distributors / wholesalers / retailers) are bing charged more by the manufacturer that the USA chain, then maybe it's time for them to speak up louder. Let's never foget that the consumer is king here and the buck stop with him / her - people like you and I. We can chose to spend our money on any brand and in either country. The more we speak up the louder the message and more things will change.

I have no idea what price a Corvette, a Subaru or a KIA sells for in Canada or the USA or what it has to do with the price of tires - but I'm sure if there is a big cross border price difference customers will speak with their wallets - that's the way a free market system works.

You can define 'special pricing' as ever you like. All I wanted to know was what the special pricing amounted to and where I need to go to get it.

I've gotta lots of input from the forums on a variety of tire choices, including several very informative private messages.

I appreciate the link from 'SmokeScreen'. 2koolperformance has some very competitive options on both wheels and tires.

Let's keep on topic here. If you've got something personal you need to say, use the private message feature - the link is at the top right.
        Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

US population ~ 300 million

Canada population ~30 million

consumer is king? Don't forget volume, we Canadians really do not have much say in the matter, even if we are the 2nd largest land mass in the world :/
          set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Hey guys, I've been following everyone's advise about going with motorsport tires for competition. Several have mentioned special pricing on BFG R1 and Toyo R88. Where are these special prices listed and how or where do I buy them?

HELP !!!
            Do yourself a favour and buy the best street tires you can afford (there are a couple of threads on the subject of which is best)! The current street tire rule favours street tires over Rs and is already being exploited by most of the top drivers..... (take a look at last seasons overall results for proof)

It is VERY good to support sponsors, but at the same time sometimes budget dictates where you buy stuff.

Also don't be confused with this thread.... It talks about CASC-OR level discounts and then club related tires and coupons, which has nothing to do with the CASC-OR level sponsorship. Some clubs have their own thing going on that non-members are not entitled to....

You have to ask yourself.... Are you running to have fun, be competitive or run for contingency? If it's for fun, buy whatever you can afford .... If it competitive, buy the best streets.... If it is for the contingency, buy Toyo or BFG (assuming there is a contingency).

Comment

Hey Mr. Tanny, thanks very kindly for your insightful input and comments. It seems there are many things at play here - I want to be competitive and enjoy myself doing that. I'm not big on contingency, but I respect the fact that to some people it's a big deal.

It's been interesting reading the different views, especially from the ones who've contacted me via the private message option. Thanks everyone.

Now I just have to decide which club I should join to get the most out of Time Attack. If you've got an opinion on that, send me a private note please, lest someone gets their kickers in a big twist.

Cheers !
              Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

Doug:

I guess we're looking at much different tire sizes.

I've got no problem supporting sponsors, but hey give me some details on how they as you put it "are supporting the sport at a higher level allowing for reduced rates".

And are all these give away tires available through all the casc clubs.

As I suggested in my earlier post to Joe, provide the real details of what the sponsor is providing to any and all competitors and the sport. Based on the tire price comparison it appears that by buying my tires in Canada I'm the one who's really funding the give away stuff.

Hey I'm only asking for the same pricing as the guy off the street south of the boarder.

I'm trying to support the sponsor ... but I can't afford to !
                I use 4 sizes and checked all of them and found that the landed cost to me was pretty much the same. What size do you use? How did you get shipping to Canada from that site? It wants a US zip code.
                sigpic
                Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Comment

Doug,

Talk to the guy directly. He told me he ships to Canada, including dealers in Canada, several times a month. His number is on the website. And you don't need to join anything .. he just wants your money. And they offer contingency too, if that turns your crank.
                  Jud - TeamVDG - OTA#47

Comment

Canada gets hosed,
                    when I was running the sales side industrial electronics company, we 100% charged more for the exact same parts sold in Canada VS the USA

some of the legitimate reasons were to isolate us from currency fluctuations, since we sold most of our parts in US funds, bought components in Euros, and our manufacturing costs were in Canadian dollars..however all things being equal I was able to average about 15% more gross margin selling in Canada VS the US...Canada is a sugar daddy for international companies

why you ask... cause we could

Ohh regarding the tires...I am with WES
                    Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

To BRUTUS, if you want to have LOTS of fun, buy a U.S. spec brand new Corvette in the U.S.A. Then import it to Canada. (Enjoy your visit to Canadian Tire to get the paerwork to register the car in Ontario) The fun part is when you take the car to your local Toronto GM dealer for warranty and they tell you "this is a U.S. car. There is NO warranty coverage on this car in Canada." (I stand corrected if this part is wrong) Oh wait, between buying the car and trying to register the car in Ontario, there is a U.S. "recall" for a reflash of the ECU for emission reasons. Can't register a car with outstanding recalls. Wait, the recall is U.S. only and the Canadian dealers don't have access to the flash. Are you glad yet you saved all that money by going to the U.S. to buy a car ??

DEK

Comment

Working...
                      X