Layout changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layout changes?

I'm semi new to the forum. I've peeked in a few times in the past but now I'm finally in a position to put together a car for time attack I was pleased to see the new name for the Solo Sprints.

I'm putting together a car for Time Attack at Cayuga with the Canadian Sport Compact Series (CSCS) but I might get all registered and come out for some Solo1 events.

My question is regarding drivetrain layout modifications. I searched through the rule book quick and didnt see any mention of it and there was nothing in a search on the forums. Surley someone else has done something like this before?

How does a drivetrain layout change (ex: FWD to AWD) affect the classing of the vehicle? I'm still trying to understand the PIP/PAX system.
    Mr_Efficiency

1G CRX addict

Re: Layout changes?

Hey Mr_E,

In the 2010 Rule book (see link in my sig), non production drivetrain layout is covered under rule 4.9.2. Technically by the rulebook, you would be placed in Open Mod and would have to meet all the safety requirements for open mod.

In the 2011 rule book, which will be published very soon, this rule can be found in section 4.3.3. And the new name for Open mod class is now 'Unlimited'.

For a regular car, the easiest way to classify your vehicle is to visit our classification website, sign up, and enter all your modification details. ccdb.soloontario.com

Check your PM.

Will Chan

Former OTA CCC Chairman

Comment

In addition to the classing Will mentioned, your car will be welcome to compete in the Auto Analyser Performance Cup at all of the Time Attack weekends. With an AWD conversion you will be competing for fastest lap in the AWD class. Further details should be included in the soon to be released regulations.
      sigpic

Comment

"In the 2010 Rule book (see link in my sig), non production drivetrain layout is covered under rule 4.9.2. Technically by the rulebook, you would be placed in Open Mod and would have to meet all the safety requirements for open mod"

Will,

why would a drivetrain layout change put you in MOD when the current rules dont even account for drivetrain configuration in OEM cars?
        Former CCC member, and shit disturber

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

Comment

Originally posted by bsclywilly View Post
          And the new name for Open mod class is now 'Unlimited'.
          So what is the difference between Open Mod and Unlimited? Does this mean that production-based cars beyond a certain PIP count go in there too, instead of just non-production cars?

Or does it mean anything goes, like NOS, rockets, nitro, 6 wheels?

<>
          Another quality post from Black Dwarf Racing

Comment

Originally posted by kmorris View Post
            So what is the difference between Open Mod and Unlimited? Does this mean that production-based cars beyond a certain PIP count go in there too, instead of just non-production cars?

Or does it mean anything goes, like NOS, rockets, nitro, 6 wheels?

<>
            It is only a name change, all the rules still apply.
            set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by ADAM View Post
              "In the 2010 Rule book (see link in my sig), non production drivetrain layout is covered under rule 4.9.2. Technically by the rulebook, you would be placed in Open Mod and would have to meet all the safety requirements for open mod"

Will,

why would a drivetrain layout change put you in MOD when the current rules dont even account for drivetrain configuration in OEM cars?
              It's not MOD. It's Open Mod (UNLTD). And as the name implies, it accounts for the unaccountable (i.e. open ended), such as non-production vehicles or vehicles that have been radically modified. Why do you ask when you were around and part of the CCC when this got put into the rule book?

And the HI accounts for drivetrain configuration...

Will Chan

Former OTA CCC Chairman

Comment

I wonder if there is a production AWD equivalent to your modified car. For instance, a BMW 3 series may have a RWD setup or and AWD setup (X-drive I think it's called). Same 3 series platform but each model would have a different HI. Depending on your car's original base PI it may me "outclassed" in Open Mod. What is the base vehicle? And what are the other modifications?
                CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                sigpic
                Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

"Same 3 series platform but each model would have a different HI."

Ahhhh Pierre..my frech friend..that is the crux of the issue...

we do not differenciate between the same car and that car having FWD and a AWD varient by changing the handling index

so we dont assign any benifit to various drivetrain layouts..which makes no sense

thats my point

Comment

I'm very confused right now. Perhaps it is my interpretation that is incorrect, but I'm hoping that I've read this properly and it is simply turning out that what I have read is not actually true.

The way I read it, Adam's signature states that he is a former shit disturber.
                    Last edited by 13inches; 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM.
                    http://www.pitl.ca

Comment

NO NO

former CCC member...

100% current and up to date shit disturber

Comment

BINGO!!!!!

now you see what I have been saying for the past few years....

AWD cars have an distinct advantage in our series..for the very simple reason...

they get to claim the weight of the AWD system...however are not taking ANY pips for having it...

any anyone who says...AWD is not an advantage has rocks on thier head...

every other race series breaks out AWD cars from FWD and RWD...that should tell us that they have an advantage (we obviously know they do as well)

Comment

so my point was.... why should any car be moved from its base class by installing a AWD system in that car?

when our rules say it does not effect the cars handling...nor has any PIP advantage...

we have a break in logic here

Comment

correct..

it would be like claiming the extra weight of a V8...but somehow we forgot that....gee wizz it produces more power...

or in this case... we claim the wieght of the AWD system...but forget that having another set of wheels powered...is a huge advantage...especially when you get more power

Comment

The car is an 86 crx. I was plaing on using a crv trans and complete rear subframe. I know the crv doesnt put much power to the rear wheels and is fwd most of the time, but the way the system works all that is easily modified.
                              But I dont want to get into that here.

I have to get on reading/memorizing your rule book so I can keep up with this. Maybe I should have kept this to myself until after the new rules were set in stone so this stayed over looked, lol :P
                              Mr_Efficiency

1G CRX addict

Comment

Working...
                              X