X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MazdaMatt
    replied
    Re: New to time attack

The solosprint school will make you faster than any modification you can put on your car for the same price. I've attended 3 of them and every time was worth it. RRRex was totally talking about himself in that post.

Leave a comment:

• Silvia_Drift
    replied

Thanks for all the input guys!

I have been attending open lapping days since 2007 and autocross since 2006 so I am confident that I am not going to fly off the track and die in a fiery crash lol.

I will be much more competitive in a lower class for sure. If I turn my boost down all the way, I should be at around 10psi or less. This should drop power to about 250whp and put me into the SGT2 class. I'm most likely going this route instead of getting some "non-premium" r-comps.

I can't wait for the season to start!

Leave a comment:

• oldguy
    replied

Making new friends at the track is great.

Start with the geeked-out instructors.

Save the really cool people (like the EMT's and tow truck drivers) until last !

Leave a comment:

• RRRex
    replied

You definitely want to take the school with a car like that. We have a lot of high hp racing instructors that can help teach you great car control and if it's speed you're after, a good instructor can knock off several seconds off your lap times. Which you'd be hard pressed to do with expensive mods. Taking the school is a more efficient use of your time and money than go fast parts IMO.

Leave a comment:

• bsclywilly
    replied

Hmmm, who could that be........? Excited for the new season. I believe we shall call this the 'turbo era.'

Leave a comment:

• oldguy
    replied

Take the school.

If you're lucky, you'll meet a guy with a black 240sx who will show you how to stay healthy while deploying 335whp at Mosport.

Leave a comment:

• Carguy
    replied

Based on the pic in your sig I suspect you've done some Solo 2 (Autoslalom). If so you've already been exposed to the car handling skills required for Time Attack on a road course (braking in a straight line, looking far ahead, where to apex, etc.). Nonetheless the Time Attack school is highly recommended since you'll be traveling at higher speeds on the track, which makes picking up reference points that aren't orange really important to learn. Plus it's a real bargain for the quality of instruction. The instructors are trained/qualified by CASC-OR and for the most part are competitors in the series so it's a great way to meet everyone.

PS You might meet a guy with a red S13 who may try to convince you to stuff a V8 in your ride.
    Last edited by Carguy; 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris P
    replied

Originally posted by Silvia_Drift View Post
    Thanks for the all the pointers and links! I will attend the open house in April and hopefully, I'll be able to meet some of you guys.

I went through the classification and as Llyod predicted, I am in SGT1. This means I'll be against Vette Z06s, Vipers, Ferrari's and 996 GT2s!!!! Seems a little stacked against me but it will be fun.

Around $150 is a great price! Hopefully I'll be able to attend every single event (if my car doesn't explode lol).

See you guys in the Spring!

You may want to consider the competition seen in past seasons and adjust your classification accordingly using tire choice. ie: Bi-groove R-comps (Hoosier) = SGT1, Full Tread Pattern (Toyo R888/RA1) = SGT2, Street tires = SGT3.

Enjoy your time and welcome to the club.

Leave a comment:

• Silvia_Drift
    replied

Thanks for the all the pointers and links! I will attend the open house in April and hopefully, I'll be able to meet some of you guys.

I went through the classification and as Llyod predicted, I am in SGT1. This means I'll be against Vette Z06s, Vipers, Ferrari's and 996 GT2s!!!! Seems a little stacked against me but it will be fun.

Around $150 is a great price! Hopefully I'll be able to attend every single event (if my car doesn't explode lol).

See you guys in the Spring!

Leave a comment:

• IWannaGoFast
    replied

I was new to the sport last year. Aside from the Solo website, this forum is a great place to ask any questions you might have. Everyone is very helpful.

I would recommend attending the Open House, great place to ask many questions and meet the other participants. And though the School isnít mandatory, I would recommend you attend. Another place to ask all your questions, but more importantly they go over a lot of concepts that donít really get covered at lapping days

Leave a comment:

• Lloyd_
    replied

Originally posted by Silvia_Drift View Post
    Hello Guys,

I would like to get into Time Attack for the 2011 season but I am finding it difficult to find information. This forum seems to be quite barren. If you could help answer some questions I have, I would really appreciate it.

1) Is there a rule book posted somewhere?

2) Are there specific modifications my car needs to run? Do I need to buy a helmet or are loaners available?

3) What are the cost of the events? I would like to attend every event that I can but this all depends on price.

4) Is it mandatory to attend the school? If so, what is the cost?

5) What class would my car be in?

1991 Nissan Silvia K's
    2.0L I-4 turbo front engine, rwd
    dyno'd at 335whp (12.4 @ 115mph if that matters)
    aftermarket coilovers
    upgraded 300zx brakes
    245/40/R17 Hankook Z214 C51 compound
    2700lbs curb weight according to Nissan, my car is at full weight with the complete interior etc.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!
    1) Rulebook http://casc.on.ca/uploadedFiles/2010...0207161600.pdf

2) You do need a helmet. In certain cases very aggressive cars need rollover protection but I don't think you'll run into that - check the rule book to be sure

3) Cost per event varies slightly, but due to sponsorships it is usually in the mid $100 range.

4) You don't need to go to the school, but it helps!

5) Try plugging your car into the classification system located at http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/ccdb

A very quick look at your car suggests around SGT1 if you're using the dyno plot option (required if you do a lot of engine mods to a turbo car). Brakes are a free mod. But that's a very quick look, you'll want to go through the site.

April 10th is the Open House where you can ask lots of questions and sign up for events in advance at a discounted rate.
    Last edited by Lloyd_; 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM. Reason: edited correct class....

Leave a comment:

• racecartech
    replied

Welcome to the 2011 Time attack Series.

I am sure you will find it enjoyable.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Rob-RT
    replied

most of your questions (and more) can be found in the rule book, off of the solosprint site

http://www.soloontario.com/about_solo.html

A lot of it still needs to be updated for 2011 still, but its there

As for cost, it isn't posted yet but I think $150ish?? per event.

Not sure what class you would end up, if you go through the tool here:
    http://www.macrocosm.on.ca/ccdb/

and enter all the mods you have. If your SR is putting down 355whp, I imagine its not stock, and you could end up pretty high.

Where are you located btw?

Leave a comment:

• Silvia_Drift
    started a topic New to time attack

New to time attack

Hello Guys,

I would like to get into Time Attack for the 2011 season but I am finding it difficult to find information. This forum seems to be quite barren. If you could help answer some questions I have, I would really appreciate it.

1) Is there a rule book posted somewhere?

2) Are there specific modifications my car needs to run? Do I need to buy a helmet or are loaners available?

3) What are the cost of the events? I would like to attend every event that I can but this all depends on price.

4) Is it mandatory to attend the school? If so, what is the cost?

5) What class would my car be in?

1991 Nissan Silvia K's
    2.0L I-4 turbo front engine, rwd
    dyno'd at 335whp (12.4 @ 115mph if that matters)
    aftermarket coilovers
    upgraded 300zx brakes
    245/40/R17 Hankook Z214 C51 compound
    2700lbs curb weight according to Nissan, my car is at full weight with the complete interior etc.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!
    Last edited by Silvia_Drift; 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM.
Working...
X