Another new commer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new commer

Hey everyone, I've been lurking the CASC forums for a while now.

I'm looking to get involced in Time Attack either one that is organized by CASC or other organizers.

My dedicated track car is a 1999 Ford Contour SVT with some upgrades.

Looking forward to potentially meeting some of you, and joining on the fun in the events.

Re: Another new commer

SVT! Wooo! Cool cars!
    Andy
    Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96

Comment

Looking forward to seeing that car at the track - What mods have you done?

Welcome!
      #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

I don't think any of the other time attack series offer the same level of competition as the CASC sanctioned Mobil 1 series. Nor do they offer you anywhere near the same level of instruction.

Other time attack series rules are simpler but if you don't have the right car in the right class, you don't stand a chance. In Mobil 1 Time-Attack, just about anyone can win.

The other series are in general just glorified lapping days with a bit of competition tacked on as an afterthought. In Mobil 1 Time-Attack you have time to learn the track in the morning at your own speed and compete all afternoon.

Also our series offers by far the widest variety of tracks of any Canadian time attack series. Don't you think you would get bored running the DDT 5 times?
        Last edited by Dave Barker; 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM.
        Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Todd #65 View Post
          Looking forward to seeing that car at the track - What mods have you done?

Welcome!
          Hey, thank you!

Here is the mod list as far as I can remember. After a while things start to get forgotten.

Drivetrain:

- 3L Oval Port
          - Mondeo ST220 Upper Intake Manifold, Ceramic Coated
          - Mondeo ST220 Lower Intake Manifold
          - Custom Intake
          - 65mm Ford Mustang Throttle Body
          - Contour SVT Cams
          - Clevite 77 Performance Bearings
          - MSDS Headers
          - Custom 2" Stainless Steel True Dual Exhaust w/2 Magnaflow Mufflers per bank
          - 26lb Ford Mustang Injectors
          - Custom Return Fuel Rail
          - Quaife LSD
          - Capaldi Racing Straight Cut Final Drive
          - Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
          - Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
          - Moroso Racing Oil Accumulator w/Electronic Valve Unit
          - SCT Xcal 2 for Tuning

Suspension, Chassis and Brakes
          - Koni Yellow Struts
          - Ground Control Coil Overs
          - Custom 6pt rollbar
          - Custom Subframe Connectors
          - Willwood Four Piston Forged Billet SuperLight Calipers (front)
          - Two piece 13" Coleman Rotors (front)
          - Two piece 11.75" Coleman Rotors (rear)
          - Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Interior & Misc
          - Battery Relocated to the trunk (Optima Red Top Sealed)
          - Corbeau FX1 Pro Seats
          - Corbeau 3" 5 point Harness Belts
          - Sparco 333 Black Suede Steering Wheel
          - Sparco Tecno Shift Knob
          - Blox Racing Lightweight Aluminum Lug Nuts

Wheels
          - 17"x7" OZ Racing Superleggera wrapped with 225/45-17 Falken Azenis RT215 (street)
          - 17"x7.5" Kosei K1-R wrapped with 225/45-17 Avon Tech-R Slicks (track)

-----------------------

Things to be done for this year are:

- Custom brake ducts (running from fog light openings)
          - Custom full underbody tray
          - Fix up the broken Mirko splitter
          - Headlight mod to make ram air for intake
          - Intake heat shield
          - Cermakrome intake pipe and gold sheet wrapping to deflect heat
          - Weld on V bands for header to exhaust flanges
          - Upgrade from calipers and rotors to 1.1" thickness
          - Remove sunroof
          - Fine tune the car, and get a 1/4 time to get some numbers
          - Corner balance

That is the to do list, we'll see how much of it I will actually get done.

Here is a video from last summer, I spent most of my time up at Calabogie Motorsports Park, trying to sharpen my driving and also laern the track better. Those videos are shot with Falken Azenis tires, I didn't put the slicks on until I did about 130 laps around the track.

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
          I don't think any of the other time attack series offer the same level of competition as the CASC sanctioned Mobil 1 series. Nor do they offer you anywhere near the same level of instruction.

Other time attack series rules are simpler but if you don't have the right car in the right class, you don't stand a chance. In Mobil 1 Time-Attack, just about anyone can win.

The other series are in general just glorified lapping days with a bit of competition tacked on as an afterthought. In Mobil 1 Time-Attack you have time to learn the track in the morning at your own speed and compete all afternoon.

Also our series offers by far the widest variety of tracks of any Canadian time attack series. Don't you think you would get bored running the DDT 5 times?
          Great, thanks for the advice and things to consider.

From what I read in the rule book, you need to hold a Competitior License C or A?

Can you give me a run down of a typical day?

Are people helpful to others, or do they show up, live in their own bubble? You usually don't see this as grassroots events, mostly at more competitive levels but I'd hate to find this out at the event.
          Last edited by ManimillioN; 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ManimillioN View Post
            Great, thanks for the advice and things to consider.

From what I read in the rule book, you need to hold a Competitior License C or A?

Can you give me a run down of a typical day?

Are people helpful to others, or do they show up, live in their own bubble? You usually don't see this as grassroots events, mostly at more competitive levels but I'd hate to find this out at the event.
            1) C,

2) A typical 2011 day will likely look something like:

Code:
                Registration and tech inspection: 8:00 - 8:45
                Driver's meeting: 8:45 - 8:55
                Group lapping (20 minute sessions)*: 9:00 - 12:00
                Open Lapping: 12:00 - 12:30
                Lunch: 12:00 - 12:45
                Driver’s Meeting: 12:45 – 12:55
                Competition runs: 1:00 - 5:00
                Open Lapping if time available at end of competition
                Track Closed: 5:00 PM

Barbeque Dinner: 5:30 (Saturday)
                Driver’s Meeting - Results: 6:00 (Sat.), 5:00 (Sun.)

*  All competitors will be divided into run groups on race day. 
               [Advanced/Intermediate/Novice]
            Don't take that as final but that's the idea.

3) In terms of friendliness nobody keeled over laughing when I brought out a Prelude last year, that's gotta count for something right?
            03 Z06 #72
            15 Prius V

Comment

We aren't competing for prize money (although there are going to be some nice prizes for various things this year) ... so the competitive element only really kicks-in when you're in your car.

People are very helpful to others - "say' I notice you've got a can of gas there...."
              #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

welcome to Time Attack, You will enjoy.
                sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
                  1) C
                  Thanks for all the information.

What is involved with getting a C class license?

From what I see, I have to be a member of a CASC affiliated club (I am with MCO and it is a CASC-OR affiliate), fill up the application form and the applicable fees and mail it in?
                  Last edited by ManimillioN; 03-02-2011, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ManimillioN View Post
                    Thanks for all the information.

What is involved with getting a C class license?

From what I see, I have to be a member of a CASC affiliated club (I am with MCO and it is a CASC-OR affiliate), fill up the application form and the applicable fees and mail it in?
                    Basically that is it.

Yes, people are very friendly in Time-Attack. Not a lot of secret setups I think and no body giving bad advice. We really are in it just for the fun of it. Sometimes your best competition is your previous run .

I didn't add up your PIPs for your engine but you might do well with a dyno plot and curb weight to get a good classification of your car. Brake mods are all free.
                    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Nice looking ride. Look forward to seeing it next season.

Comment

Hey Mani,

Great to see you come out to Time Attack this season. You'll have a blast, guaranteed! Note that running slicks automatically lands you in Open Mod class by 2010 rules (Unlimited class in 2011). MCO count currently stands at 3 if Brad comes out this year - woo hoo! Welcome aboard!
                        Last edited by Carguy; 03-02-2011, 10:41 AM.
                        CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
                        sigpic
                        Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Carguy View Post
                          Hey Mani,

Great to see you come out to Time Attack this season. You'll have a blast, guaranteed! Note that running slicks automatically lands you in Open Mod class by 2010 rules (Unlimited class in 2011). MCO count currently stands at 3 if Brad comes out this year - woo hoo! Welcome aboard!
                          The Avon Tech RA is a two groove tire, so it is not a true slick. Thus similar to the Hoosier R6 or Hankook Z214 it's an uber tire, but not a slick.

Mani, correct me if I'm wrong in understanding your tire choice.
                          Frank
                          sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
                            The Avon Tech RA is a two groove tire, so it is not a true slick. Thus similar to the Hoosier R6 or Hankook Z214 it's an uber tire, but not a slick.

Mani, correct me if I'm wrong in understanding your tire choice.
                            Frank
                            Hey Frank.

These are the Tech RA's. They are almost done, and just picked up two sets of V710's which I am planning on running. So I am guessing as you say they arne't true slicks, therefore I wont be in the Open Mod class?

Originally posted by RRRex View Post
                            Nice looking ride. Look forward to seeing it next season.
                            Thank you, same here!

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
                            Basically that is it.

Yes, people are very friendly in Time-Attack. Not a lot of secret setups I think and no body giving bad advice. We really are in it just for the fun of it. Sometimes your best competition is your previous run .

I didn't add up your PIPs for your engine but you might do well with a dyno plot and curb weight to get a good classification of your car. Brake mods are all free.
                            Thanks for all the info Dave.

Hey Mani,

Thanks. Hey glad to see you and some familiar faces here.

Comment

Hey Mani,

FYI, non-dot slicks are allowed in MOD class too. But if you're running less than 6lb/hp AND non-dot slicks, it's Unlimited class.

Welcome Mani. Nice car!

Will Chan

Former OTA CCC Chairman

Comment

Working...
                              X