Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tires would YOU buy?

Originally posted by thgear View Post
    also, a recent tire survey in that magazine that gave the RS3's a good wet score was done on an autocross track with artificial wet conditions
    If you are referring to the GRM test, they didn't rate the RS-3 that favourably in the wet.
    CASC Autoslalom Director
    2019 Honda Civic Si #64
    www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

Originally posted by sjd View Post
      If you are referring to the GRM test, they didn't rate the RS-3 that favourably in the wet.
      the comments said that it didn't provide confidence, but their test put up competitive average lap time numbers, nearly half a second faster than the RE11, which i run, and which i thought was excellent in the rain
      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

I'm currently leaning towards the R1R's.
        This is my second season running the R1Rs. Last year we won touring 2 and touring 3. This year we've moved up a few classes and haven't been competitive yet. That's not because of the tires but we're still sorting out the car. I like the R1Rs. I've never driven the RS3s but I understand that they may be faster. I would say the R1Rs are as close to the wonderful RA1 as you can get and still be a street tire. You wont go wrong. Last season with two drivers we ran 4 weekends and a lapping day or two on the one set. That was a low power car.
        If you're leaning that way, I'm ready to give you a positive and gentle push!
        sigpicFrank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!

Comment

the comments said that it didn't provide confidence, but their test put up competitive average lap time numbers, nearly half a second faster than the RE11, which i run, and which i thought was excellent in the rain
          You're right, but they were were more than a second slower than the R1R, almost a second slower than the Star Specs and AD08's in the wet. Yes they were roughly half a second faster in the dry, but I need to give that up for a tire that works in the cold and wet as well, plus comes in my ideal size.

Originally posted by nissannx View Post
          This is my second season running the R1Rs. Last year we won touring 2 and touring 3. This year we've moved up a few classes and haven't been competitive yet. That's not because of the tires but we're still sorting out the car. I like the R1Rs. I've never driven the RS3s but I understand that they may be faster. I would say the R1Rs are as close to the wonderful RA1 as you can get and still be a street tire. You wont go wrong. Last season with two drivers we ran 4 weekends and a lapping day or two on the one set. That was a low power car.
          If you're leaning that way, I'm ready to give you a positive and gentle push!
          Thanks Frank! I also have a light, low power car as well so your input is very valuable. Did you find that they continued to stick even after heating up?
          CASC Autoslalom Director
          2019 Honda Civic Si #64
          www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

That GRM test is in Texas though right? Wondering how the RS3's would do in our first few events of the year where it's reasonably cool.

Stupid varied Canadian weather

Probably more of an autocross concern right enough...
            Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

DDT during a thunderstorm is an entirely different beast than a hosed down parking lot.
              Yeah, I think the wet DDT it's pretty hopeless with anything. Maybe a CRX with Hoosier Wets....
              03 Z06 #72
              15 Prius V

Comment

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
                That GRM test is in Texas though right? Wondering how the RS3's would do in our first few events of the year where it's reasonably cool.

Stupid varied Canadian weather

Probably more of an autocross concern right enough...
                No, the test was at Tire Rack's test track in Indiana. So, weather that's very close to ours.

I don't know that I am going to switch to street tires for autocross but I suffered a couple of times this season due to the cold weather being on V710's.
                CASC Autoslalom Director
                2019 Honda Civic Si #64
                www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
                  Yeah, I think the wet DDT it's pretty hopeless with anything. Maybe a CRX with Hoosier Wets....
                  Full tread Star Specs on my SHO were pretty awesome there in the pouring rain. But part of that is the stability from the long wheelbase, and lack of low end torque making it easy to accelerate out.

My Dunlops are done, I'm also trying to decide what to replace them with ... same again, the RS-3, the R1R ... hmm.

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  84 Mustang SVO
                  95 Jaguar XJR

Comment

No, the test was at Tire Rack's test track in Indiana. So, weather that's very close to ours.

I don't know that I am going to switch to street tires for autocross but I suffered a couple of times this season due to the cold weather being on V710's.
                    Ah I see. It's a tough one to call. My Federal's seemed to do well in the cold, but, despite my having a good year on them, there's not much info to suggest they are a top tier tire, but part of me is inclined to believe that is marketing and lack of grassroots acceptance in the States.

They did grease out on me at the scorching hot IPC event though; I had to be sure to keep it very tidy or they would noticably overheat 2/3 of the way through the run. Spraying between runs fixed it. The RS3 shod cars crushed everybody there.

Only other time they greased was after 5 hot laps of DDT with me pushing hard to keep up with a C6.

Everything I have read says that:

Cold and/or wet conditions: R1R> Starspec > RS3
                    Warm to hot conditions: RS3 >>> Starspec > R1R

The question then is should I believe what I read or not?

I'm planning for a somewhat similar ride to yours next year Steve, and I will be running streets.
                    Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Only other time they greased was after 5 hot laps of DDT with me pushing hard to keep up with a C6.
                      Whose C6? Please qualify that statement!!
                      OMSC
                      Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                      Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                        Full tread Star Specs on my SHO were pretty awesome there in the pouring rain. But part of that is the stability from the long wheelbase, and lack of low end torque making it easy to accelerate out.

My Dunlops are done, I'm also trying to decide what to replace them with ... same again, the RS-3, the R1R ... hmm.

cheers
                        Ed N.
                        rs3...i think your car is probably too heavy and too hard on front tires for r1r's
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
                          Whose C6? Please qualify that statement!!
                          Lol, ain't saying. It was well driven and the Scoob managed it though...

A more open track would be a rather different story.
                          Barry

Citizen Cone Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by KLZEMX6 View Post
                            rs3...i think your car is probably too heavy and too hard on front tires for r1r's
                            Thanks for the tip, the car is definitely tough on the fronts, I have to rotate them often. I was looking at R1R in 245/40/18, they are pretty much the same width as my current Star Spec 235/40/18, but a bit taller. I love the wet grip of the Star Specs, but am thinking of giving the RS-3 a go.

thx,
                            Ed N.
                            84 Mustang SVO
                            95 Jaguar XJR

Comment

Everything I have read says that:

Cold and/or wet conditions: R1R> Starspec > RS3
                              Warm to hot conditions: RS3 >>> Starspec > R1R

The question then is should I believe what I read or not?

I'm planning for a somewhat similar ride to yours next year Steve, and I will be running streets.
                              I think that is about right, but I'd put the Star Specs and R1R's as a toss up in the dry. There are also so many variables to consider than just raw tire time.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the R1R's.
                              CASC Autoslalom Director
                              2019 Honda Civic Si #64
                              www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

Any of you tried the new Michelin Super Sport?
                                "Fun racing the way it's supposed to be!"

Comment

Working...
                                X