Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tires would YOU buy?

Originally posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
    No love for the Kumho V710? I've run these for the past few years and have found they offer excellent grip & longevity. You'd easily get a full season out of a set, possibly two seasons.

This year however, I'm trying the new Goodyear Eagle RS DOT tire. Early reports have it posting faster times than the Hoosier with considerably less wear. Plus it's cheaper to boot. Sounds like a winner to me.

Scott, that would not be my experience. I believe Kumho says the V710 is good for 16-18 heat cycles before the performance falls off and that WOULD be my experience. They look fine but don't keep the same level of performance. I'm sure they are a great autoX tire where they don't really get hot enough to heat cycle and to be fair, in some ways I prefer them to Hoosier R 6s but they don't really last a lot longer. YMMV

I too have heard great things about the new Goodyear but in Time-Attack, they are clearly "uber" tires.
    Mobil 1 Time-Attack # 4, CCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Chris P View Post
      I'd get 3 sets of R888's. 1 shaved for the days two competition runs (should be fine for the seasons 18 heat cycles or roughly 2 hours of track time), 1 for morning lapping, & finally one fresh unshaved set for the rain. Also, Toyo will love you for buying three sets of tires.

Now back to reality & assuming you actually have a tire budget I'd probably go with the Kumho XS given they have sizing for the Vette and seem to be quick.

We did that one year, we actually had one set grooved for the rain and were very happy with the tire. Miles is still driving the grooved set on the street and they have stupid grip in the rain!
      Now CrITical Inc.
      Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

I've had the same experience as Dave with the V710's on my Nissan 240SX. This was back in 2005-6. They were quite grippy early on, but their performance dropped off significantly after 5-6 events. One time during a hot 90-95 degree event they just got real greasy in the afternoon.
        CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57
        sigpic
        Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Barker View Post
          Scott, that would not be my experience. I believe Kumho says the V710 is good for 16-18 heat cycles before the performance falls off and that WOULD be my experience. They look fine but don't keep the same level of performance.
          Good point. Mine lasted a long time but the performance did fall off in the 2nd half of their life. Towards the end, they needed a lot of heat to really stick.

But I think that's the case with any "uber" tire.
          Scott McIntyre - SM / PREP
          1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Comment

i'm buying same tires as last year in order to gauge the effects of some of my minor suspension tweaks

but i would love to get my hands on as et of RS3's
            set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Better be careful if you run the XS's Pete - you'd be running pretty much the exact same same car/tires but with 30 more HP. Giving me extra reasons to gun for you....
              #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

no love for BFG R1's?

Comment

they just made the tire, didnt they?
                  set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Originally posted by s2kobsessed View Post
                    no love for BFG R1's?
                    Not in C6 sizes. Yes, it's a recurring theme here! Hence my frustrations .....

Originally posted by Todd #65 View Post
                    Better be careful if you run the XS's Pete - you'd be running pretty much the exact same same car/tires but with 30 more HP. Giving me extra reasons to gun for you....
                    30 more HP, but no Z51 package ... I don't think the scales are tipped too far in my favour, mister!

XS are on order ... hopefully should arrive early next week ... I'll be screwed for next weekend if they don't arrive in time!!!
                    OMSC
                    Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
                    Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Probably lighter without all those Z51 fluid coolers :P
                      03 Z06 #72
                      15 Prius V

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd_ View Post
                        Probably lighter without all those Z51 fluid coolers :P
                        Yeah, and those BIG rotors!!

Good thing I put the "light-weight" Z06 oil cooler on my car, not the Z51 version!!!!
                        OMSC

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
                          Yeah, and those BIG rotors!!

Good thing I put the "light-weight" Z06 oil cooler on my car, not the Z51 version!!!!
                          Man, big rotors? Oil coolers? Sounds like they would be nice to have
                          03 Z06 #72
                          15 Prius V

Comment

Woo hoo! Tires were delivered yesterday while I was at work ... I'm good to go!

Only disappointment is the build date of the rears. I was happy when I read the fronts - 4510 - that's not too old, but the rears?! 3608!! Not much I can do I guess ... might just be a little squirrely out back .
                            OMSC

Comment

Pete, let us know how those work out for you. I was looking at the Kumho XS for my Mustang, partially because they have a big 16" size.

cheers
                              Ed N.
                              84 Mustang SVO
                              95 Jaguar XJR

Comment

Pete, those 08 tires should be returned, they will be terrible in wet conditions

Trust me on that one
                                sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Working...
                                X