Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tires would YOU buy?

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
    I believe that Tire Rack has the exclusive on selling the Star Specs now, so I've been told.

cheers
    Ed N.
    I've been told the exact same thing last year by Dunlop Canada. I think Tires23 buys them from TR and so do others that might sell here.
    One place that I have found to have a good selection and VERY good prices is this: http://www.ottawatiresdirect.com/
    When I quoted some prices for Continental DW in April, it would have been only $60-70 more to buy from them comparing to have tires delivered from Discounttiredirect.com, which is one of the cheapest places one can buy tires, including shipping.
    But given the fact that last year I had to ship two Dunlop Direzza back to TR for defects, I would rather deal with someone local.

In the end, I bought them from Tires23 since I wasn't in Ottawa at the time, and they also have great prices.
    Last edited by Benzin!; 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    2003 Focus SVT
    sigpic

Comment

After managing to pull fairly consistent 1:34's - 1:35's on the Goodyear F1 "Supercars", I'm starting to re-think my tire strategy!
      OMSC
      Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
      Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Forget RS3s...maybe I should just look for whatever tires come with a 500hp Vette attached to them
        #74 - 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

I was impressed with the RS-3's on Gary's car, I thought they gripped pretty good. 37 flat with much less hp than a vette.

Thank you Gary for the ride, It was a very fun weekend
          sigpic

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by racecartech View Post
            I was impressed with the RS-3's on Gary's car, I thought they gripped pretty good. 37 flat with much less hp than a vette.

Thank you Gary for the ride, It was a very fun weekend
            That was some good driving there Scott!! Well done.
            03 Corvette Z06

Comment

Holy wide enough tires, Batman! These things barely squeeze into my tire rack!!!

OMSC
              Current: 2011 Corvette Z06
              Previous: '06 Z06, '10 Corvette, '93 & '02 Camaro Z28's

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
                Holy wide enough tires, Batman! These things barely squeeze into my tire rack!!!

no more upgrades for you mister
                sigpic
                Supporting member of several
                grassroot Clubs

Comment

Got the Starspecs from Tirerack, fitted in Buffalo in time for last MIR event. Late 2010 date spec.. no complaints.

Thanks for all helpful suggestions. I would have liked to have tried the RS3s. Hopefully I won't need them so urgently next time.

Comment

i have hit a tire gold mine! check out JBracingtires.net , i have ordered 2 sets of hoosier R6's , all his tires are between 40$-80$ and the R6's i got were almost new slightly scrubbed tires , he seems to have lots of inventory even for you corvette huge wheel guys haha , check it out

Comment

Operation RS3 has failed :-(. After a month long wait and still no status available from Tires23. They called the warehouse again for me today and said "Hankook is getting ready with their winter tires, no new RS3s in stock yet". ETA a month after ordering is still unknown.

I hear the RS3s are really bad in the snow...soo....I switched my order to Star Specs...lets hope I like em. In stock and should arrive in 7 business days.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmaan View Post
                        ...lets hope I like em.
                        What size? I hope you do because these were my next tires.

Oh also, you might want to scrub or heat cycle these tires before competition. I remember my direzzas weren't so hot the first track day but picked up after that.
                        Last edited by Ujjwal; 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM.
                        2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ujjwal View Post
                          What size? I hope you do because these were my next tires.

Oh also, you might want to scrub or heat cycle these tires before competition. I remember my direzzas weren't so hot the first track day but picked up after that.
                          The Direzzas come in 265/40/17. Cost about $200 more than the 255/40/17 RS3s...not sure why. But at this point, I just don't wanna finish Mosport weekend on completely bald tires with no new ones to put on for the street.

Good advice on the heat cycle. Maybe I'll look for a lapping day to scrub them in lightly before hitting the September events

Comment

Originally posted by Alloy GT View Post
                            hijacking Pete's thread, but staying on the subject: any feedback regarding Yokohama's ADVAN NEOVA AD08s? thanks!
                            I'd like to know about the Advan AD08 as well. I'm also looking at R1R's and Star Specs. All 3 come in the ideal size for my car and are the only 3 tires I am looking at.

Any feedback on these 3 tires would be appreciated. I'm currently leaning towards the R1R's.

RS-3's are out based on availability, poor sizing for my car and poor wet weather performance.
                            CASC Autoslalom Director
                            2019 Honda Civic Si #64
                            www.twinlakesmc.org

Comment

Originally posted by sjd View Post
                              I'd like to know about the Advan AD08 as well. I'm also looking at R1R's and Star Specs. All 3 come in the ideal size for my car and are the only 3 tires I am looking at.

Any feedback on these 3 tires would be appreciated. I'm currently leaning towards the R1R's.

RS-3's are out based on availability, poor sizing for my car and poor wet weather performance.
                              who says the rs3's have poor wet weather performance?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KLZEMX6 View Post
                                who says the rs3's have poor wet weather performance?
                                most people in our series that run them in the rain say they are not very confidence inspiring

on the other hand, testing a tire in the rain depends entirely on the driver and track

also, a recent tire survey in that magazine that gave the RS3's a good wet score was done on an autocross track with artificial wet conditions

DDT during a thunderstorm is an entirely different beast than a hosed down parking lot.
                                set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Working...
                                X