X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast Ed
    replied
    Re: What tires would YOU buy?

Was out at DDT today to help at the POGO charity event. Only did 3 sessions in my SHO, but the Pilot Super Sports seemed decent. Overall the grip was a bit less than the same size Star Specs that were on the car previously, but certainly not by a huge amount. Slip angles seemed a bit greater too, needed a bit more steering input in comparison. On the street they are very quiet and smooth. Hopefully at some point before the end of the season I will have the opportunity to take some wet laps on them.

cheers
    Ed N.

Leave a comment:

• fast Ed
    replied

Originally posted by abrracing View Post
    Any of you tried the new Michelin Super Sport?
    Al, I'll let you know next week what I think of them, decided to go with a set for the crapper Taurus to replaced my corded Star Specs. Can't complain about the Dunlops, probably got 20+ track days and some street driving out of them. I'm thinking that the Michelins will be almost as good in the dry, as good in the wet, and certainly more civilized on the street.

cheers
    Ed N.

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Pete
    replied

Originally posted by thgear View Post
    arn't the corvettes supposed to have this super-duper special tire for the ZR or whatever

they tested them at nurburgring
    Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Sport+PS2+ZP

They're supposed to be good. Not sure if they're "the best" on the market though?

These things are supposed to be super as well (if you can run the only 2 sizes available ) - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nza+RE070R+RFT

Leave a comment:

• thgear
    replied

arn't the corvettes supposed to have this super-duper special tire for the ZR or whatever

they tested them at nurburgring

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Pete
    replied

I still wouldn't rule out the Kumho XS! Once I got them worked in, they were consistant, lap-after-lap at Mosport, on a nice, sunny day, on a ~3200lb car .

Those Kumho's even posted quicker times on the C6 through Turns 2 and 4 than my Z06 has with its massively wide tires!! I was astounded to see that on a 1:36 lap, I was faster through 2 and 4 than on a 1:34 lap in the Z06!

Kumho XS = 180 utqg, in 245/40/18 and 285/35/19.
    Goodyear Supercars = 220 utqg, in 275/35/18 and 325/30/19, much wider!

Leave a comment:

• Saj5DJ
    replied

Still haven't a clue what I'll end up going for. Still haven't ruled out another set of Federals, loved those things this year.

Probably RS3, R1R or Federals. Maybe I'll get a lovely Xmas bonus and run R1R's in the cold and RS3's in the hot. Right after my pig lands.

Leave a comment:

• yangsui
    replied

I ran Star Specs last season and R1Rs this season.

When I ran the Star Specs, I remember how numb they felt. The times undoubtedly said they are fast tires but they just felt.....soft. The R1Rs are noticeably sharper on turn-in. Stiffer sidewalls maybe. The Star Specs are also really heavy. The R1Rs have a wider footprint than same sized Star Specs. I.e. says 205 on the sidewall but really, almost 215s.

Both Star Specs and R1Rs are fantastic in the wet!

Last season, all four of my Star Specs overheated and blistered. The outside edges were peeling like crazy. To be fair, that may have been mostly due to my crappy stock suspension geometry. I was riding on the outer shoulders all the time.

So far this season, the R1Rs on my front wheels went from brand new to at the wear bars in less than 2 months or about 2,200 kms of daily driving, bunch of autocross events, and the ATTS Tougue event. The Star Specs would have lasted a bit longer.

Looks like lots of people will be running RS-3s. I'm going to fall so far behind next season with the cheap set of RS-2s I picked up Saving money sucks!

Leave a comment:

• engsr
    replied

Steven, Barry pretty much read it right. I have first hand experience with the Star Specs and R1Rs this year, both slalom and track. The R1Rs were fantastic in the wet/rain/cold but were nothing special otherwise - they especially did NOT like those hot humid days. The Star Specs were able to keep up with the R1Rs but no so much in the rain. I would attest that the Star Specs handle the heat a bit better than the R1Rs, too, but probably not to the extent of the R-S3s.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I ran strange set-ups this year - 225/45 R1Rs on 15x8 front staggered with 205/50 Star Specs on 15x7 rear. When I ran all Star Specs, I used the same 15x7 wheels all around with a 5mm spacer up front. For my driving style, this set-up worked well, again both slalom and track. When my R-S3s arrive tomorrow, I will probably do the staggered set as well (R-S3s on 15x8s with the Star Specs on 15x7 rears) for comparison's sake at this Sunday's PITTL event.

Don't know if that helps or not. Keep in mind that the R1Rs may not have fit my driving style - they're not like RA1s and I loved the RA1s. But the Star Specs do, and I'm hoping that the R-S3s do as well. Again, I'll see on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• abrracing
    replied

Any of you tried the new Michelin Super Sport?

Leave a comment:

• sjd
    replied

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
    Everything I have read says that:

Cold and/or wet conditions: R1R> Starspec > RS3
    Warm to hot conditions: RS3 >>> Starspec > R1R

The question then is should I believe what I read or not?

I'm planning for a somewhat similar ride to yours next year Steve, and I will be running streets.
    I think that is about right, but I'd put the Star Specs and R1R's as a toss up in the dry. There are also so many variables to consider than just raw tire time.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the R1R's.

Leave a comment:

• fast Ed
    replied

Originally posted by KLZEMX6 View Post
    rs3...i think your car is probably too heavy and too hard on front tires for r1r's
    Thanks for the tip, the car is definitely tough on the fronts, I have to rotate them often. I was looking at R1R in 245/40/18, they are pretty much the same width as my current Star Spec 235/40/18, but a bit taller. I love the wet grip of the Star Specs, but am thinking of giving the RS-3 a go.

thx,
    Ed N.

Leave a comment:

• Saj5DJ
    replied

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
    Whose C6? Please qualify that statement!!
    Lol, ain't saying. It was well driven and the Scoob managed it though...

A more open track would be a rather different story.

Leave a comment:

• KLZEMX6
    replied

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
    Full tread Star Specs on my SHO were pretty awesome there in the pouring rain. But part of that is the stability from the long wheelbase, and lack of low end torque making it easy to accelerate out.

My Dunlops are done, I'm also trying to decide what to replace them with ... same again, the RS-3, the R1R ... hmm.

cheers
    Ed N.
    rs3...i think your car is probably too heavy and too hard on front tires for r1r's

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Pete
    replied

Originally posted by Saj5DJ View Post
    Only other time they greased was after 5 hot laps of DDT with me pushing hard to keep up with a C6.
    Whose C6? Please qualify that statement!!

Leave a comment:

• Saj5DJ
    replied

Originally posted by sjd View Post
    No, the test was at Tire Rack's test track in Indiana. So, weather that's very close to ours.

I don't know that I am going to switch to street tires for autocross but I suffered a couple of times this season due to the cold weather being on V710's.
    Ah I see. It's a tough one to call. My Federal's seemed to do well in the cold, but, despite my having a good year on them, there's not much info to suggest they are a top tier tire, but part of me is inclined to believe that is marketing and lack of grassroots acceptance in the States.

They did grease out on me at the scorching hot IPC event though; I had to be sure to keep it very tidy or they would noticably overheat 2/3 of the way through the run. Spraying between runs fixed it. The RS3 shod cars crushed everybody there.

Only other time they greased was after 5 hot laps of DDT with me pushing hard to keep up with a C6.

Everything I have read says that:

Cold and/or wet conditions: R1R> Starspec > RS3
    Warm to hot conditions: RS3 >>> Starspec > R1R

The question then is should I believe what I read or not?

I'm planning for a somewhat similar ride to yours next year Steve, and I will be running streets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X