Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Registered Competitors for Event 1 and 2

Originally posted by afirma View Post
    I long for the days where last names are not posted.
    I second the motion.... is there something that can be done about this?
    #65 C6 Corvette SGT3-S

Comment

the sport can go underground..

i've removed the last names, but believe me guys, you're up there in the stats one way or another.
      set tire pressures to winning!

Comment

Uh oh, am I Rob or am I Rob?

:P

Comment

Serge, I don't seem to be on your list and am registered for events 1 and 2.
          Gary Wood:
          GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52

Comment

Sorry about that Gary, you're in the system now.

Comment

Serge, you better start over again ... now the names are not alphabetical in order anymore ...
              Klaus
              BMW 325es
              Solosprint SGT2, #192
              Solo 2 D/Mod, # 192

The older I get, the faster I am ...

Comment

I really don't agree on this point. I think we should care about the privacy of competitors and if they want stuff publicly posted.

The question needs to be asked.. " Why do we need to publish a list of competitors to the general public?"
                Now CrITical Inc.
                Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

How about initials?
                  2010 to 2013 OTA competitor with a Honda, Ford, and a BMW.

Comment

The question needs to be asked.. " Why do we need to publish a list of competitors to the general public?"
                    okay then tell me how i should be able to check whether or not i missed someone prior to an event?

I really don't agree on this point. I think we should care about the privacy of competitors and if they want stuff publicly posted.
                    so what do you propose we do for record keeping?

Comment

First name + last name initial would probably cut down on confusion but still maintain a level of anonymity for competitors.

"ZOMG, Dave P just passed Serge G for the second time this lap!"
                      The bearded weirdo from Speed Academy

Comment

"i" don't care, and can do whatever you guys wan't me to do, but i would like for it to come down from the Director and would like to hear a discussion about it.

a few technological problems.

1. our registration system needs last names for all of the official stuff and emergency contact and all that.

?unless we don't?

2. our timing system draws names from the registration database

3. i'm not going to manually change everyone's last name to initials for every single result and registration update unless this is something super serious that everyone wants, although i would be interested then for a few more volunteers coming out of the woodwork to help out.

so i'm all ears for possible solutions, if someone wants to take a crack at the registration database (written in microsoft access) and make it so that last-name fields are abbreviated with a period when transferred over to the timing database

or teach me how to abbreviate a column of words to the first letter in Excel using a macro.
                        Last edited by thgear; 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

=left(A1,1) in excel would work. Not quite macro automated though.

and if they're all one cell something like =MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2,2)+1,1) would pull out the first letter of the second name.
                          Last edited by Lloyd_; 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM.
                          03 Z06 #72
                          15 Prius V

Comment

Gentlemen,

This topic is covered on page 22 of the Rule Book, "Official Results", section 2.13.1 (e).

Serge is including this list of participants in advance to make registration easier on the day of the event. We also have contingency programs which also add to his workload. By using this process we will know exactly who is attending except for the walk-ins. Registration always slows us down so this is one way of improving upon that scenario.

It also allows our Chief Instructor to match up novices with instructors and to send out relevant materials.

Traditionally, we have always used full names in Solo1, SoloSprint and now Ontario Time Attack. It is part of our Rule Book.
                            Chuck Atkins

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
                            Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
                            Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep

Comment

I do understand the rule book, but when the rule book was written the internet was just a bunch of small webs.
                              I think for public consumption we should try to provide some degree of privacy.
                              Not to be paranoid but this is what I do for a living.
                              Now CrITical Inc.
                              Misssion Critical It solutions for your business.

Comment

Working...
                              X